Offroading today

Lewis

Myself and a few friends went to our local pay and play site today (Weston Coyney nr. Stoke on Trent). It all started well, today was the first time since Andrew bought the 110 and doing the total rewire that I had driven it so I was very eager to see what it could do. You might say too eager :rolleyes:

I had a nice play using the locker, and managed to get stuck to give me an excuse to play with the front winch

SD530246.jpg

SD530247-1.jpg

I was a bit worried I might forget to turn on the rad or g/box fans so i wrote myself a note and taped it to the dash - it read "Dont Cook it, Dont Show Off, Dont Drive like a Tw*t", seems i failed on the last two :lol:

Having built my (over)confidence I decided to have a go at a long steep climb with rock steps and a hard left at the top, I've never seen anyone manage this climb before but i gave it a try anyway - we made it to the top peice of p*ss and sat back to enjoiy our glory a little.

SD530259.jpg

SD530264.jpg

When the time came to drive back down my mate was there in his 90 to record it, Video below

Dont show off

Thankfully neither myself or my friend Katie in the passenger seat were hurt more than a bruise or two, although It does need tubed wings sooner than I thought :o

Lewis :)

Whoops. I thought 110 were supposed to be more stable than 90's, and what happened to the rear prop?

And is that coilovers in the rear? Think we need to hear more about this truck.

Glad you and the bitch are ok though :)

I imagine the rear prop broke because when the Landy rolled over, the rear wheels probably got hit from the back. A hard hit here bends the rear trailing arms which causes the axle to twist forward pivoting around the upper A frame ball joint, this causes the diff nose to tilt sharply upwards, the rear propshaft UJ binds up and the prop snaps.

Regards,

Diff

Glad your ok, give your mate with the camera a slap though, tell him to concentrate on what he's doing :ph34r::lol:

Cheers Andy, looks like another 2 trailing arms for your collection :D

Regarding the camera work - he was parked about 150m away - hence the poor quality because its on maximum zoom - on the original unedited verson on the camera you can hear the two massive bangs as it rolls, even at that distance and over the sound of my mates TD :o . To be fair to my mate, the bit where he drops the camera is him starting to pull away and come to our rescue - the way I see it is we could have been unconscious covered in petrol and at full revs, fair play i say

(Trev)

Whoops. I thought 110 were supposed to be more stable than 90's, and what happened to the rear prop?

And is that coilovers in the rear? Think we need to hear more about this truck.

As it landed back on all fours the passenger side trailing arm took a massive hit and folded in half (you can see it in the video near the end, after we had straightened it a bit) - this forced the rear prop to do an impersonation of an "S" and it twisted the yokes out, the prop is now in the passenger footwell

The rear suspension is just standad springs and shocks - its just set up like the front with the dampers inside the springs, the lower damper mount forms a kind of relocation cone for the spring. Springs are Old Man Emu something, and the dampers are 15" eye/eye Pro comps in need of new bushes. Whe I first got hold of the truck I assumed this setup would be pants, but in practice it works quite well. I'll do a write-up in the members vehicles section soon

(Adrian)

looks like somebody forgot to start with a right turn at the top!!!!

I had full right lock on - which isnt much with a 110 with narrow offset rims on. You cant see in the pictures or video but there is no space at the top to come down straight - you have to start somewhere on the left - In the video you can see that I shunted to get it further over so that I could approach at a better angle, but in the end there was no other path. 20/20 hindsight showed me numerous other paths though when I walked it later :rolleyes: . I really should have lowered down on the rear winch

(Rob)

for the prop to come adrift me thinks something needs looking at somewhere.

I was quite impressed you landed on your wheels though.

Glad no one was hurt though.

Cheers Rob - having remembered the pics of your roll at the AWDC challenge I think we came off lightly - no broken glass - no engine or winch damage, just prop, trailing arms and front end bodywork :)

The landing on the wheels part was total luck - although I am proud of myself for hitting all the fan and compressor switches off, and turning the ignition off as we rolled - I didnt want petrol and sparks together ;) Must have been the adrenalin or something, I'm not usually that thoughtfull :lol:

I wonder if the truck would have rolled as easily if it were a full bodied 110? I also run a trayback 110 and have rolled it on its side very easily in situations where if there had been sides it might not have rolled? just a thought not a critism

I wonder if the truck would have rolled as easily if it were a full bodied 110? I also run a trayback 110 and have rolled it on its side very easily in situations where if there had been sides it might not have rolled? just a thought not a critism

Dunno really, as i say, only just got the truck recently and this was its first real test. Plus I havnt got a full bodied 110 (that i would subject this to) to compare against :) . I cant really see how less total weight, and the remaining weight lower down would make it easer to roll. Does anyone else have a similar experience with 90's?

Glad no one was hurt too, but this is a good opportunity to settle the retained vs dislocating coil debate. Wack a new prop and control arms on, restrict your down travel so that the coils dont get loose and try the same maneouver (sp) again. :)

Bill.

I dont think I'll be trying the same trick agian thanks Bill :lol: Once was enough, i had a little drive round in my mates RRC later and I was driving like a complete girl

That looks like my dad's old racing 110 Hi-cap. I can't remember the exact reg no, because we always had a personal plate on it, but I recognise the cage.

Do you know anything of the history of the car? I'll check my old photos when I get home to confirm. Mick Wolfe bought it from my Dad (hence the yellow paint job! In fact the first time he raced it at Sidbury the paint was still sticky!).

Cheers

H

That looks like my dad's old racing 110 Hi-cap. I can't remember the exact reg no, because we always had a personal plate on it, but I recognise the cage.

Do you know anything of the history of the car? I'll check my old photos when I get home to confirm. Mick Wolfe bought it from my Dad (hence the yellow paint job! In fact the first time he raced it at Sidbury the paint was still sticky!).

Cheers

H

My friend Andrew bought it from Cliff Garrod in december last year after Trev (LR90) spotted it on ebay and posted a link on here, prior to that it sat unused for a year as Cliff and his driver Paul Church were competing in the AWDC challenge trophy with their new car (Pig). Before that they used it in the 2005 AWDC Trophy Challenge. Thats all the history I know. It used to be a HCPU in blue and was originally a 3.5 with a four speed manual (I presume). I do recall Cliff mentioning it being used for Comp Safari in the past.

Any information/history or old pictures would be great. I'm sure its current owner would be interested in knowing were it came from :)

If your dad built the cage tell him thanks - it saved two lives on sunday ;)

Lewis

The landing on the wheels part was total luck - although I am proud of myself for hitting all the fan and compressor switches off, and turning the ignition off as we rolled - I didnt want petrol and sparks together ;) Must have been the adrenalin or something, I'm not usually that thoughtfull :lol:

What a guy, you must have nerves of steel to do that in a roll over, well done. Quick thinkin.

This is the most egregious piece of driving that I have ever viewed.

As a member of this Forum for many seconds,I call for the driver to be taken out and shot.

Yeah thanks Andy, been reading the thesaurus on your lunch break again have you? :ph34r::lol:

What a guy, you must have nerves of steel to do that in a roll over, well done. Quick thinkin.

Umm, thanks, I think

Yeah thanks Andy, been reading the thesaurus on your lunch break again have you? :ph34r::lol:

Umm, thanks, I think

You can talk(gigglepins?).This is what I tried to send you yesterday.Could not respond immediately as I sudddenly found that I had some work to do;a concept with which you may or may not be familiar.

Regards.

http://www.viralvideochart.com/youtube/the...?id=7RMLt28n0-M.

My friend Andrew bought it from Cliff Garrod in december last year after Trev (LR90) spotted it on ebay and posted a link on here, prior to that it sat unused for a year as Cliff and his driver Paul Church were competing in the AWDC challenge trophy with their new car (Pig). Before that they used it in the 2005 AWDC Trophy Challenge. Thats all the history I know. It used to be a HCPU in blue and was originally a 3.5 with a four speed manual (I presume). I do recall Cliff mentioning it being used for Comp Safari in the past.

Any information/history or old pictures would be great. I'm sure its current owner would be interested in knowing were it came from :)

If your dad built the cage tell him thanks - it saved two lives on sunday ;)

Lewis

Just checked with some old photos - it's definitely the same vehicle.

Indeed it was a ratty old blue ex-farm HCPU when we bought it and immaculate comp safari truck when we'd finished building it up. We painted it bronze green and when Mick Wolfe bought it he painted it yellow. It was originally a V8, but we put a balanced 3.5 efi in it. Latterly it had Ashcroft internals in the front axle and a four pin diff.

I'll try and scan some photos of it at the weekend in its comp safari guise. Unfortunately I don't have any of the build.

The cage was designed and built for us by a chap named Clive Hobley who used to build off road racers, he did a cracking job, I reckon - looks like you've proved it too! Unfortunately Clive no longer does any fabrication of this sort.

Hope this is of some interest. Its certainly nice to see that its still being used for fun, it had disappeared off my radar for some years!

H