My Landy scared the carp out of me last night...

4 minutes ago, dangerous doug said:

Is that a joke regarding my other thread?😂 

this happened about 4 years ago and I bought some 16x10 -32 modulars…..and 37” treps to go with them😂

It was a joke... doh, there were enough clues in your post it wasn't a new event. It's been a long day.

I should admit I have the 4x4 Tyres site open with a set of wheels and tyres in the basket and my cursor hovering over the checkout button.

30 minutes ago, steve b said:

235/85-16 will work on a 5.5" steel and up to a 7.5" wide in other styles

Steve

So I can put them on my original steels? Just checked and it's perfectly legit to run a tube inside, so I think we may have an answer...

11 hours ago, landroversforever said:

There’s a mixture of ‘standard’ for the drive flange bolts. Some later stuff used flanged heads with a smaller hex. These have better clearance to the wheel

20220227_123538.thumb.jpg.dac292cfa00993a93de63894b4646608.jpg

This is my drive flange and bolts. They are not flanged and have a spring washer fitted.

• Like 1

Sorry to disagree with Steve, but the minimum wheel width for a 235/85×16 tyre is 6 inch. Yes, they do fit on standard 5.5inch land rover wheels, and some land rover owners do run them. But, if you want to do it 'by the book'. 6inch rims are the minimum stated by tyre manufacturers.

Hope this helps, Regards, Diff.

Edited by Diff
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Just to check as I've not seen it mentioned or I've forgotten reading it - You did have the correct nuts holding the spacer on & the correct nuts holding the wheel on didn't you? And torqued to spec?

I had the nuts they supplied, and wheel nuts from Craddocks, so yes on the first count.

Um, probably on the second. They were effing tight... But I hadn't used Threadlock because I'm a plum.

10 hours ago, Diff said:

Sorry to disagree with Steve, but the minimum wheel width for a 235/85×16 tyre is 6 inch. Yes, they do fit on standard 5.5inch land rover wheels, and some land rover owners do run them. But, if you want to do it 'by the book'. 6inch rims are the minimum stated by tyre manufacturers.

Hope this helps, Regards, Diff.

Thanks - I'll bear it in mind though may have to try to get away with it at least in the interim...

I didn’t have as bad an experience as either of the cases in this thread, but I had the same problem with the nuts securing spacers slackening off behind the wheels years ago.  Thread lock didn’t help.  I promptly got rid of them.  I think the Aussie authorities are right in banning them, at least this thick sort.  I do have some thin spacer son my back axle (the 1/4” centre of scrap brake drums) with the longer Wolf studs to allow me to fit alloys in much the manner John was advocating with his 10mm spacers.  I’ve had no trouble with that at all.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so...

I bought a set of new Wolf wheels (I suspect they're not actually Wolf but they look the same and gosh they're heavy) and when the replacement wheel nuts arrive I will swap them over.

I checked and they fit just fine, clearing everything they should with no need for spacers.. Yay. They look the part, too.

But.

There had to be a but or it wouldn't be a Landy, it seems.

The studs seem to be a little short - the nuts (I used the three holding the spare on) go on fine but the end of the stud sits basically flush with the face of the nut. Am I going to have to get longer studs as well? Are they even changeable or does it need a whole new hub?

On 6/10/2023 at 5:48 AM, Junglie said:

OK, so...

I bought a set of new Wolf wheels (I suspect they're not actually Wolf but they look the same and gosh they're heavy) and when the replacement wheel nuts arrive I will swap them over.

I checked and they fit just fine, clearing everything they should with no need for spacers.. Yay. They look the part, too.

But.

There had to be a but or it wouldn't be a Landy, it seems.

The studs seem to be a little short - the nuts (I used the three holding the spare on) go on fine but the end of the stud sits basically flush with the face of the nut. Am I going to have to get longer studs as well? Are they even changeable or does it need a whole new hub?

That is normal and nothing to worry about unless you visit Australia.  This issue was ignored on the MoD Tithonus 90/110 refurbishment by Hobson Industries, even though the Wolf vehicles had longer studs for the wheels.  You can buy those longer studs to fit to your existing hubs if you wish, but it’s not necessary for strength or safety.  The wheels rare technically just HD and just used on the Wolf vehicles, but the name stuck and is more widely used.  They have similar steel wheels for the Discovery II, but obviously they don’t get referred to as Wolf rims because they have a different stud pattern.

• Thanks 1