Poly bushes

Right what the hell  am I doing wrong?

might be I’m too hot in shed so will do it later,

and before anyone says oh this is why bla bla bla save it I don’t want to hear it,😂

anyway I’ve used my press

a bolt nuts with a few sockets no luck 

where am I going wrong? 
thinking large washers might do the trick?

805E1224-DF25-430C-932D-1FE1CA704004.jpeg

I found with the 1-piece bushes they need to be well lubricated and pressed into place dead straight otherwise they can deform and pop out, also I used a large flat washer on the open end as it covered the entire surface of the bush. That said, they were awkward and it is for that reason I later went for SuperPro which are 2-piece and are a breeze to fit (perhaps not what you wanted to hear).

3 hours ago, Litch said:

I found with the 1-piece bushes they need to be well lubricated and pressed into place dead straight otherwise they can deform and pop out, also I used a large flat washer on the open end as it covered the entire surface of the bush. That said, they were awkward and it is for that reason I later went for SuperPro which are 2-piece and are a breeze to fit (perhaps not what you wanted to hear).

They are super pro 

the rear ones were a dream to install 

I’ve got washers will try later 😊

2EF2A368-F741-4726-8897-18B5309DA475.jpeg

• western changed the title to Poly bushes

Well you've got me there, I could have sworn my SuperPro ones were 2-piece! That said, I did fit them a few years ago (2017) so maybe my memory is playing tricks on me? 🥴 I have a photo of the finished job but not of the actual fitting. All I know is that all my bushes have been fitted using my (huge) vice and after the nightmare of fitting some 1-piece Bearmach bushes some 20-years ago, the SuperPro ones were a breeze.

DSCF0004.JPG

• Like 1

I shouted and swore at the radius arm bushes, trying to use the vice, until my wife came along with a video of the long bolt and washers method. When I tried this first I thought ‘no way!’ - it went in really squint, but I just kept going and eventually it sorted itself out. As Litch says it’s important to be well lubed.

From memory - not necessarily the most reliable source - I think most of them are one piece, except the panhard rod…. Or maybe I’m thinking about the P38…?

22 minutes ago, Litch said:

Well you've got me there, I could have sworn my SuperPro ones were 2-piece! That said, I did fit them a few years ago (2017) so maybe my memory is playing tricks on me? 🥴 I have a photo of the finished job but not of the actual fitting. All I know is that all my bushes have been fitted using my (huge) vice and after the nightmare of fitting some 1-piece Bearmach bushes some 20-years ago, the SuperPro ones were a breeze.

DSCF0004.JPG

Well unless I’m the unluckiest Land Rover owner on the planet and super pro thought let’s have one piece for this one lol

back radius arms two piece I’m now worried about the rest of the bushes is this going to be a bloody job 

Part of the reason I went for them nice n easy 

Well it seems the front radius arms are the pain in the ass,😳

all sorted with the aid of my dads Ford consul think was a jacking thing blunt instrument, 

so all is well tomorrow is more new springs so chassis will be mobile 

big thank you for your help as ever.👍😊

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Northwards said:

I shouted and swore at the radius arm bushes, trying to use the vice, until my wife came along with a video of the long bolt and washers method. When I tried this first I thought ‘no way!’ - it went in really squint, but I just kept going and eventually it sorted itself out. As Litch says it’s important to be well lubed.

From memory - not necessarily the most reliable source - I think most of them are one piece, except the panhard rod…. Or maybe I’m thinking about the P38…?

Just watching YouTube flicking Thu as you do and noticed this two part set up possibly what you have? 

60D53E8C-C563-45D9-810D-1E405B247DA6.jpeg

^^ No, flippancy aside I'm fairly certain they were one piece bushes for the front radius arms on both the Defender and RR. I remember the Defender ones having the grooves as in Steve's pic above. 

When I say they went in squint with the long bolt and washers method, I mean "really" squint. If I hadn't seen the video I'd have stopped at that stage, but I just kept going and they came right. 

Apart from this they were all a breeze. Like you I opted for Superpro all round (on both cars) for ease of fitting over standard. At the time I didn't have a press. I'm still happy with them after a good couple or 3 years on the Defender and about a year or two on the RR. 

last time i had issues with a one piece bush like that i just cut it in half pushed one bit in from each side fitted the insert and job done
possibly not what most would do but it worked and got us out of the doo doo
i now only use the flowflex ones as they have worked well for me on 3 motors