Laying carpet

GBMUD

I am getting tired of the interior volume level in my Landrover so the time has come to do something about it. I am aware that one can buy expensive lead blankets for things like the engine and gearbox and all manner of interesting and expensive covers for the tunnel, floors and seatbox. I want to avoid spending lots of money and I happen to have some carpet available after laying laminate on the hall floor.

The carpet is hessian backed and I would like to make it stick to the inside of the hardtop roof and sides as well as to the sides of the tub and the tops of the wheel boxes. In a lot of these applications gravity is going to be working against me so I will need to persuade the carpet to adhere to the painted aluminiumm in some way. Who can suggest a sticking medium that will do the job well but ideally not leave any mess on the inside of the roof if it should fail or if I change my mind about the colour of the carpet?

I am planning on some sort of rubber mat for the floor in the tub, any suggestions for something sound deadening yet waterproof and hard wearing? I also need a solution for the seat box and floors (the tunnel seems to have a decent mat already installed) and I was thinking about neoprene matting such as that used by campers to sleep on - topped with a rubber mat on the floors. This would also lend itself to the rear load area floor.

Any suggestions?

Chris

Who can suggest a sticking medium that will do the job well but ideally not leave any mess on the inside of the roof if it should fail or if I change my mind about the colour of the carpet?

Nothing like wanting your cake and eating it is there!! :lol::lol:

I used an aerosol of contact adhesive for the fuel tank - the can's in the garage at the moment. It certainly sticks, but gives no flexibility for positioning the carpet so you have to get ti right first time - which can be tricky.

It does leave a mess, but it is soluble in celulose thinners, so as long as you don't rub too hard :unsure: you can get the glue off without disolving too much paint...

I'll dig the can out in a mo.....

i cant believe you have posted this thread Chris, it seems so unlike you.

Having had a wagon with carpet on the inside of the roof i would recommend not bothering, it gets damp from condensation and eventually falls off in my experience.

camping mat the roof and lay carpet onto boarding for the sides with camping mat on the inside of the boarding, use self tappers to hold it all on.

I went for a spray can of 'adhesive', I've no idea what's in it but it makes you high and sticks stuff like sh*t to a blanket. I did my hardtop and roof with camping mats, although I didn't see a marked difference but I think most of the noise is coming from the cast-iron clanker up front (as it does its job saving me money...)

OK

for carpet o the floor and places its going to get wet, then don't use hessin backed carpet as when it gets wet it will mouled and then stink. And hessin rots when it gets wet.

Rubber backed carpets use to be the best but they are now baned (well have been for about 4 years now)

Felt back would be a little better than the hessin

As for glueing . Balls F3 (or elephant come , as it is called in the trade, when you see a 25ltr tibe of it you will see why :) ) is the best stuff but had one problem , will never come off. Or Balls F44. That is more of a arcric adhesive that is water proof , but still you will not get it off. So that leves you with Balls F54 which is a tackifer. Which means you put it on both surfaces let it dry and then put them to gether, but you can take this up and put it back down again and again..

But B&Q carpet spay adhesive will do the job but for best result spay both surfaces and wait for them to dry (about 5 mins) and then contact them together. This will really make it stick like **** to a blanket

I would use camping mat for the roof and maybe sides, you can pick cheap ones up for a few quid.

Bish what did you use to cover the tank in the end?

I used jumbo cord carpet and rubbed the foam backing off before sticking it on with Loctite spray Adhesive.

I used jumbo cord carpet and rubbed the foam backing off before sticking it on with Loctite spray Adhesive.

Best stuff for it. Also the cheapest even more cheap if you find it in a skip at the back of an exibition center. They put it down for 3 days and then rip it up and bin it

tricky one - always going to be a laugh with dissimilars, I would have suggested ESAB Wilton brazing rods unless you wire brush back to clean underlay and then root with a lino based wire running axminster/foam backed gas... worth a go?

:rolleyes: The floor covering in my 90 is carpet tiles from *&Q . You can buy them indiviualy in lots of colours, They have a sort of ruber backing. When my 90 got temporarly drowned I simply lifted them out and took them indoors to dry.