What Garage should I use to rebuild my 90?

My 90 is a little past it's best in the looks department. :( I am looking for a good garage to stick in a V8 and auto box (any suggestions which V8 I should use?? - want reliability and good power), get the interior back to a nice new-ish look (+central lock and lekkie windows, heated front and rear windscreen, comfy seats, etc) and a full respray. Maybe even new alloys!! :D

Do you have any suggestions for a good reliable garage that will all do the work for me without charging the earth? I know it won't be cheap but don't want to pay over the odds either. I am based in Ireland but am willing to travel for the right crew!

Thanks folks!!

wouldn't it be easier to buy a newer motor for the quality panels and interior (well quality for LR that is) and then get a nice v8 transplant. a nice 3.9 efi would be good I reckon.

or failing that get a NAS spec 90... job done in one go.

My 90 is a little past it's best in the looks department. :( I am looking for a good garage to stick in a V8 and auto box (any suggestions which V8 I should use?? - want reliability and good power), get the interior back to a nice new-ish look (+central lock and lekkie windows, heated front and rear windscreen, comfy seats, etc) and a full respray. Maybe even new alloys!! :D

Do you have any suggestions for a good reliable garage that will all do the work for me without charging the earth? I know it won't be cheap but don't want to pay over the odds either. I am based in Ireland but am willing to travel for the right crew!

Thanks folks!!

Chichester 4x4, no question. If I wanted a V8 auto conversion in a Defender they would be my first choice. They have done lots of them and know their stuff. I do confess to knowing them there but I know lots of other people will also recommend them.

Chris

Thanks Chis. Yes - a guy over here recommended them already so it's good to hear that.

pigster - thanks but I want to keep my own 90 and unfortunatlry I do not have the time to build it myself.

Thanks guys!! Any other suggestions would be appreciated. :D

Hi again - any other garages worth talking to - especially near wales / midlands?

Thanks! :)

Frogs Island 4x4 will re-build your 90 to NAS spec, and the job they'll do will be excellant, but it'll cost you about the price of a brand new defender (but it will effectivly be a new car). If you're happy to spend that kind of money then the results are excellant but, if not, then I'd either buy a new vehicle and get the V8 transplant done or rebuild the vehicle yourself. The big killer with getting anyone to do work for you is the labour costs.

Another vote for Safari - I was based just down the road from them for a couple of months. SUPER nice blokes, really fun yard and very reasonable prices on parts. Of all the places I get parts from, I'd use them all the time if they were closer.

If you want to stay on the island of Ireland why not check out BLRC (Belfast Land Rover Centre) who are actually based in Saintfield, Co Down. I can't claim to have a lot of experience with them but friends say they are great. I did get a quarter chassis on my 90 replaced and it looks like a very tidy job. Only downside seems to be having to wait up to 2 months to get booked in but I suppose being busy means they must be doing something right.

John

Hi again - any other garages worth talking to - especially near wales / midlands?

Thanks! :)

Might be worth giving L.E.G.S a ring in Oswestry Shropshire, they fitted my Defender's Disco transfer box, they were all vey nice people to deal with. They're web site doesnt claim to do engine conversion but they are excellent gearbox/engine builders.

www.legs.co.uk

Only 100miles from Holyhead to.