cunning plan (td5 radiator)

The radiator in my ibex (200 TDI) is past it's best, I've had and split two Ali versions now and brass ones are big bucks if you can find one. To add complication my steering box is quite close and causes a clash with the oil cooler pipes.

So in my infinite wisdom I'm looking at other ideas, the td5 look like the main hoses would work and the bleed off just needs a longer hose. My question is what are the two around 13mm spigots for?

Not worried about fan as I use any electric one any way. I suspect I'll need a separate oil cooler and may need some additional hose length if I use the td5 intercooler. Some photos of the installation would be useful if anyone has some.

Mike

52 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

I might take you up on that as I've nothing to loose. I am getting the feeling they're not built with everyday use in mind. :hysterical:

Mike

Funny that I was speaking to the chaps at Alive tuning recently about fully Alu rads and Intercoolers, they seem to have same views on them generally cracking, they now sell an Alu intercooler with cast Alu ends which apparently solves a lot of problems.

22 hours ago, Maverik said:

Funny that I was speaking to the chaps at Alive tuning recently about fully Alu rads and Intercoolers, they seem to have same views on them generally cracking, they now sell an Alu intercooler with cast Alu ends which apparently solves a lot of problems.

At least I'm not going mad :ph34r:. Both of mine went amongst the fins rather than the ends, but I guess cast ends make it all a bit more stable.

Mike

I know you've solved your wee issue. 

I never thought to mention it, I've been running a plastic one since 2020 which seems to have behaved itself, mostly road driving with some regular farm tracks. I was a massive full metal radiator advocate for a long time, but gave up as they're so difficult to get a hold off, expensive new and to re-core, I calculated I could buy 3 plastic to 1 full metal.

8 hours ago, Maverik said:

I know you've solved your wee issue. 

I never thought to mention it, I've been running a plastic one since 2020 which seems to have behaved itself, mostly road driving with some regular farm tracks. I was a massive full metal radiator advocate for a long time, but gave up as they're so difficult to get a hold off, expensive new and to re-core, I calculated I could buy 3 plastic to 1 full metal.

That would be fine if I didn't have an engine with a head gasket habit. :ph34r:

Hopefully next year I can sort the other engine and some of my problems will go away. :hysterical:

Mike