Excessive brake pedal travel

monkie

Quick update: the other weekend it was fine enough to allow me to get the wheels off the ground and have a look at the problem. Everything regarding the brake pads/shoes and discs/drums all looked in order. I did purge new fluid through the system and it was quite dark stuff that came out. 

I think this has made quite a difference to the feel of the pedal, so hopefully that's it.

I did notice though a fair bit of black gunge in the reservoir as if the seals are deteriorating. I can't remember what brand of master cylinder I got now when I exchanged it in 2019 (it wasn't out a blue box) but I do hope the seals aren't going after 5 years.

• 4 months later...

An update as I have finally solved the issue:

Yesterday I replaced the master cylinder. Problem solved! I can't remember the make of the one I fitted in 2019 but I'm disappointed it only lasted 5 years.

It's taken me a while to get round to it as I've been busy with jobs in the house and I must confess I have found a replacement vehicle... A Merc Vito van with a 3.0 V6 diesel - I love it

17 minutes ago, Sigi_H said:

Think about loving cars, which are not loveable 😁😁

It doesn't leak, it is comfortable, it feels well built, it has loads of power.... Should I continue 😛

• Haha 1

And where is the passion? The character?

Every idiot can drive a perfect car 😃😃 but not all are able to keep a Land Rover running.

For sure you are no idiot, but isn't it like that?

6 minutes ago, Sigi_H said:

And where is the passion? The character?

Every idiot can drive a perfect car 😃😃 but not all are able to keep a Land Rover running.

For sure you are no idiot, but isn't it like that?

No, I agree with you. I've been looking for a while to replace my 110 with a newer one (puma). I've looked at lots and for the money they command, I just can't justify it. So I spent 1/3 the amount a 2012 puma station wagon would have cost me on a crew cab Vito. I use it mainly for trips to the diy store/builders merchant and camping with the wife and kids. It ticks those boxes well and I haven't been driving the 110 at all so it has to go 

I've sorted out the brakes and I'm going to put it through an MOT before I sell it so I know it's all safe for a new owner.

Come on, I'm just kidding. Everything you decide for you is better than my  stupid recommendations, because you are the expert in your own things.

I wish you won't regret

• Like 1

20 hours ago, monkie said:

No, I agree with you. I've been looking for a while to replace my 110 with a newer one (puma). I've looked at lots and for the money they command, I just can't justify it. So I spent 1/3 the amount a 2012 puma station wagon would have cost me on a crew cab Vito. I use it mainly for trips to the diy store/builders merchant and camping with the wife and kids. It ticks those boxes well and I haven't been driving the 110 at all so it has to go 

I've sorted out the brakes and I'm going to put it through an MOT before I sell it so I know it's all safe for a new owner.

Is that the CT110? 😢

23 hours ago, Snagger said:

Is that the CT110? 😢

It is my 110 I've had for 15 years now. Had lots of fun, learnt so much on the way and it's been a good hobby. I'm sure when the kids have grown up I'll come back to classic Defenders.

• Like 1