Alternator problems

Outrage

Hi all,

Ive been trying to trace a wirring noise down on the front of my truck and have narrowed it down to either the water pump or alternator on my 2.5 NAD. Ive run the engine briefly with no fan belt on and the noise has gone away.

Looking at the alternator, if i push and pull on the pully left and right should there be any movement of the alternator shaft? mine looks to have about 1-2mm play. Its charging ok but does this mean the bearings on its way out?

Ive been trying to trace a wirring noise down on the front of my truck and have narrowed it down to either the water pump or alternator on my 2.5 NAD. Ive run the engine briefly with no fan belt on and the noise has gone away.

Does fan belt drive both alternator and waterpump? Then it has ruled out one or t'other.

Could it be something a simple as a worn or slipping fan belt?? Cheap enough to buy and try a new one and keep old one as spare.

Don't know about the shaft fore/aft play but would expect there to be a little bit. If bearing are on their way out, then it would be side to side play?

Have you tried wobbling the water pump pulley?

Hi all,

Looking at the alternator, if i push and pull on the pully left and right should there be any movement of the alternator shaft? mine looks to have about 1-2mm play. Its charging ok but does this mean the bearings on its way out?

Bearings on the alternator are knackered - there shouldnt be any movement.

Put a new one on.

Jon

I agree with Jon, there shouldn't be any sideways movement on the alternator pulley. The bearings are knackered and I suggest you replace the alternator soon, or the bearings may sieze up which will cause the belt to melt/ be thrown off, and then the waterpump won't be turning, then the engine will overheat etc etc.

Regards, Diff

If you use a large long handled screwdriver with the flat bit on the alternator, engine running, press your ear against the handle to listen to the bearings. If no noise shift to the water pump. Or did you know this trick? ;)

£10 from the scrappie ;) ……….there’s loads that fit ………………..if the mounting is on the wrong ‘hand’ , then undo the case screws and rotate the casing.

Ian

BBC, thanks for the reply. can you think of any that will definately fit so i can just ask at the scrappy? p.s. whats with all the garbage text? :blink:

NAS90, good idea although over the noise of my engine u cant hear much!

Cheers,

Lee