Cleaning Dyneema winch rope

Have given mine a bath in the sink with some fairy liquid, and its got most of the dirt out.

Then i stood there an pondered sticking it in the disher washer on a low temp....

Whats the consensus on that?

I cant remove the hook, its fitted and i didnt want to deform the rope, thats why i was thinking dishwasher - it'll give a good clean but not twist it up

12 hours ago, HoSS said:

I cant remove the hook, its fitted and i didnt want to deform the rope, thats why i was thinking dishwasher - it'll give a good clean but not twist it up

Stick it in a pillow case, maybe?

When I clean mine, I push the rope together to open up the strands to agitate the dirt in the water. Then pull down it to get the water out before letting it dry. I also rinse it in clean water if it's really dirty. 

Steve

• Like 1

I tend to do as steve says. or pull it all out a dunk it in a big tub of water and and leave it to soak. 

Just remember dishwashers have spinning bits in them which could end up in a tangle 

Don't use a detergent. The Dishwasher drying cycle will be too hot, unless you have a 25/30 degree setting. Put the hook in a couple of pars of socks, then put the whole thing in a pillow case and wash in a washing machine on a cold wash

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Don't use a detergent. The Dishwasher drying cycle will be too hot, unless you have a 25/30 degree setting. Put the hook in a couple of pars of socks, then put the whole thing in a pillow case and wash in a washing machine on a cold wash

This is what I do. When the missus is out though as it still makes a reasonable noise

10 hours ago, L19MUD said:

This is what I do. When the missus is out though as it still makes a reasonable noise

I no longer use hooks, but when I did, I tried all sorts of hook muffles, like an old trainer, woolly hat etc. Using the washing machine was my job anyway, so no issue with SWINMEW

16 hours ago, Jon W said:

I tend to do as steve says. or pull it all out a dunk it in a big tub of water and and leave it to soak. 

Just remember dishwashers have spinning bits in them which could end up in a tangle 

The dishwashers I have owned had spray arms that rotted under the reaction force of their water spray rather than being motor driven, so nothing gets harmed if the arms are prevented from spinning.  That doesn’t mean they are all built that way, though, so it is worth checking.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HoSS said:

Yeah no way i'm putting that hook in my machine, its s big bugger.

Maybe bubble wrap with a couple of thick socks over the top would work, but it does sound like the dish washer option may be better if you can be certain the temperature is kept low and you take it out at the end of the rinse cycle and before the drying cycle.

I rinse my rope in a big tub of water and agitate it thoroughly, tip the muddy water out and refill and agitate again. I'll do this 3 or 4 times then refill and leave it to soak for several days before giving it a stir, rinse and refill again. It's amazing how just leaving it like this continues to draw more dirt out. Once the water stays fairly clean I hang the rope on the washing line to drip mostly dry before respooling onto the drum.

• Like 2

I take it that you unspool it for that, Steve?  Otherwise, the jet will just push a lot of the contamination to the overlaid wraps.  Seems the simplest solution, to be honest, and should get it clean enough as long as you don’t get the nozzle close enough to cause damage. Saves the hassle of unfastening it from the drum and refitting later or having it laying about or unusable.

Yes - I just spooled out and hung the hook - so it was out like a washing line. Did it on a sunny day, so it dried pretty quick / then winched in to spool it back under a bit of tension. 

The amount of dirt than came out was amazing. 

• Like 1