300tdi , bit of a leak

Thank you both , yes one of my better ideas the red block. The front two are still in and there’s no oil at the rear of the block . It actually looks like the oil came from the front corner of the block from between the head and the block . You wouldn’t think that much oil could come from there would you?

Edited by ianmayco68

4 minutes ago, ianmayco68 said:

Thank you both , yes one of my better ideas the red block. The front two are still in and there’s no oil at the rear of the block . It actually looks like the oil came from the front corner of the block from between the head and the block . You wouldn’t think that much oil could come from there would you?

Oil pumps move more than one would expect ;) , again from hard bitten experience , thankfully mostly in my (very) younger years but it's hard to forget an oil lake under the 4 poster....

Steve

• Like 1

That front corner is where the oil to the valvetrain is pumped through so it does sound like the HG isn't letting it through maybe by being the wrong way around/the hole through not present in the HG. 

If the HG is a multilayer then there might on top be the problem, that the bung holding the layers together have been squashed between the head and the block with it being the wrong way around, leaving a small distance in which the oil can move... a mate did this once, thats how I know.. 🙂

/mads

So stripped her down today , well stepson did some this morning before I came back from work and yes the head gasket was on wrong way , when the head was off I could see why the oil came out like it did . When your a numpty and put it on the wrong way round the HD doesn't actually cover the oil gallery outlet so it can quite easily spurt out in the gap between the head and the block , lesson learned . But to be fair the " TOP " etching was a lot more prominent on the new gasket than the old one , so onwards and upwards . There was oil residue around the rocker shaft and nothing was bent so hopefully I stopped the engine in time , we'll find out when I next start her , fingers crossed .

cheers all Ian

• Like 3

• western changed the title to 300tdi , bit of a leak

Hi all , all back together, drained the remaining oil out and found some droplets coolant in it. I’d imagine they came from what was left in the head when I removed it , I did remove all from the pistons but some obviously got to the sump. So do I run a litre or so of oil through to get rid of any that might be in there or just fill her up and go for it? 
 Trying not to get any more problems 😁, cheers Ian.

• Thanks 1

A few drops left will be fine I'd say , top tip if the head ever comes off again is to remove the block drain then there will be no coolant above the block face.

A check of the oil colour after a minute running will confirm oil condition.

Steve

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all , just to put this to bed sorted everything and started her up this afternoon and ran her for about 5-10 mins on and off . She sounds lovely , purred nicely and no noises that were out of place so well happy . Thanks all for the help 😁👍.

• Like 3

Yes , first turn over is always the most worrying time , you’ve always got that nagging feeling in your head that you’ve missed something but it’s normally fine. Just remember to put the HD gasket on the correct way or you get a rather lot of oil on the floor 🤣🤣🤣 , don’t ask how I know. 

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Found that my 3 bungs,the  rear 1 missing, found it on driveway, centre one missing but sat by vacuum pump, front one all gooey, so removed & fitted 3 new bungs with blue hylomar, 

I think LR could of threaded these holes & put 3 small bolts in to seal them

• Like 1