110 SW Rear Door threshold replacement

At the back of a 110 SW there is a member that spans the full width of the tub. YRM part number 097. The door threshold strip screws into this piece. Mine has seen better days, which is annoying as the rest of the tub is in good nick. Has anyone removed one of these without making a total mess of the body? There seem to be a load of spot welds so I presume I am drilling those out to replace with rivets? The rear chassis cross member is currently off along with the fuel tank so I want to take this opportunity to tackle this whilst I have access.

Any tips for getting it off and to minimise distortion of the body panels would be great.

boot-floor-600x844.png  YRM097-2.jpg

I replaced it when I rebuilt my 109 (identical construction).  I drilled the spot welds on the end gussets to the side panels from inside, so the panels weren’t holed.  Unfortunately, that doesn’t work easily for the rear panels unless you can very accurately transfer their positions tho the plain face of the cross member to drill accurately from that side.  I drilled the rear panels and the later drilled the new cross member in line with those holes for rivets.  Not ideal, and in hindsight I’d have been better off trusting the Tiger Seal alone without the rivets - it was strong enough anyway and would have filled the holes in the panels with sealant that would never crack or fall out (unlike Isopon or GRP repairs of bolt holes), ultimately looking like the spot welds before drilling.

• Like 1

Ended up drilling about a million spot welds out as you said @Snagger plus grinding off 4 proper rivets. Then bending the corner races out the way and it came out. No chance of it coming out in one piece with the body on and a complete chassis though. The cross member being temporarily absent has made this a relatively straightforward job. Pictures in my Allsort thread in Member's vehicles.

• Like 1