LR engine mounts

Hi all , I’d like everyone’s opinions on engine mounts , if you could pick any to fit to your defender which ones would you choose? I’d like to keep them Land Rover, as I’m fitting an M57 to the 110 and I’ve got a shiny new chassis from MAER with plates that bolt to the side to weld the bracket to, so anything’s possible really but I was thinking TD5 TDCI ones.

cheers Ian 

Edited by ianmayco68

I used 200tdi disco engine mounts and 300tdi gearbox mounts on the ibex. I picked those for several reasons. The disco mounts are much more compliant than the original defender type (it's much smoother than our 110), they are captive so if I was to roll the engine can't escape, the td5 mounts are quite big and I couldn't make them fit (the chassis had removable td5 mounts). The defender gearbox mounts were better than the 300tdi mounts because they are tucked up nicely but the 300 mounts are more compliant to match the engine, plus the 200 disco gearbox mounts is hideous.

Mike

• Like 1

Anything but standard 200tdi mounts... 300tdi seem to be a good compromise between size over hardness, I converted the standard 200tdi gearbox mounts to the later square type and even that made a hell of a difference. I'd defo consider td5 first.

You haven’t got a photo of the gearbox mounts have you @Maverik ? Without crawling around underneath the truck . As my chassis is a 200tdi with td5 rad mounts and rear end ,  as I wanted to keep the engine in the 200tdi position and was thinking of swapping to 300tdi mounts for the gearbox .

Edited by ianmayco68

10 hours ago, Maverik said:

Anything but standard 200tdi mounts... 300tdi seem to be a good compromise between size over hardness, I converted the standard 200tdi gearbox mounts to the later square type and even that made a hell of a difference. I'd defo consider td5 first.

For the completely uninformed (me) could you explain why anything but standard 200TDi mounts please?
Do they vibrate much more etc?

If so, love to reduce that a lot without any modifications or upsetting any of the measurements involved please

3 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Stock defender 200 mounts are the round type. They are quite stiff thus lots of vibration, they also have a habit of delaminating which means the engine is no longer attached to the vehicle.

Mike

Yes, had one detach itself perfectly, you couldn't notice it in the workshop it was such a nice lift of the rubber and round bit.
So what is the best slot in alternative please?

10 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

You haven’t got a photo of the gearbox mounts have you @Maverik ? Without crawling around underneath the truck . As my chassis is a 200tdi with td5 rad mounts and rear end ,  as I wanted to keep the engine in the 200tdi position and was thinking of swapping to 300tdi mounts for the gearbox .

Page 20 of my build thread

https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/49267-diamond-in-the-rough/#comments

11 hours ago, roamingyak said:

Yes, had one detach itself perfectly, you couldn't notice it in the workshop it was such a nice lift of the rubber and round bit.
So what is the best slot in alternative please?

Glencoyne Engineering have replacements made of a more suitable spec rubber.  They could still peel off the steel plate, but I haven’t heard of them doing that.  They are far suppler than the Gen Parts stock, which went harder like the unbranded carp about fifteen years or so ago - Gen Parts are likely selling reboxed Britpart mounts.

The 200 Discovery uses annular bushes, a bit like oversized leaf spring bushes, so the engine is held in place if the rubber debonds and roughly (and noisily) in place even if the rubber disintegrates.

Just for some info if it comes in useful, I compared some new britpart 300tdi gearbox mounts with some old genuine ones t'other day - the gen were softer, but have had 25 yrs of use - the britpart were actually quite soft and useable.  The BP 300tdi engine mounts however are awful and made from rocks. 

So plan is as I’ve got a 200tdi chassis with td5 mods I want to keep the transfer box and gear box in the 200tdi position so I was working forward from there . I want this because the air con compressor won’t foul the steering box (hopefully) and I’ve already got 2 very nice GWYN Lewis props to fit . I also have these ,

IMG_0906.thumb.jpeg.952a35c3391e7ab954fa745e2eaad737.jpeg

IMG_0905.thumb.jpeg.102df48cd0eb727c07f3cc9f78a5e3d6.jpeg

these are the Range Rover engine mounts so I think the TDCI rubber mounts will work well , I could use the Range Rover’s rubber mounts but they attach to the vacuum pump I believe and stiffen the mounts up the faster you go , I did read somewhere that they leak regularly and in a defender it’s just something else to go wrong.