non-starter...

Mark

The Disco is booked for it's MoT first thing next weekend, so thought I ought to go and check bulbs and the like. Jumped in to move it out of the carport, and the bloody thing dosn't want to start. :angry:

All I get on turning the ignition key is a repeated clicking noise - not the usual single click then nothing.

So I set to taking the starter motor off. Not exactly an easy job, but it came off without too much of an issue. When I put 12v accross the starter, and trigger it, all seems to be working fine off the vehicle - the solenoid is throwing the drive dog out, and the motor is spinning all very enthusiastically. <_< This makes me start to suspect the connections, so I give them all a clean, and throw the starter back on.

Still does the same thing - repeated clicking noise (like it's spinning the motor, but not engaging the drive dog...) :angry:

Took it off again, and tested it, giving special attention to the solenoid - everything still works as it should. The solenoid is giving a good strong throw, and the motor is spinning well... :(

So does anyone have any suggestions? I am a little baffled... :(

Cheers

Mark

Confusing!

The only thing I have experienced that was something similar was when I had a few stripped teeth off the flywheel - if I turned the crank a little (big spanner needed) it would then work ok. However - when the teeth broke they went with a BANG so I expect that you would have noticed that... Easy to try though - move the engine a few degrees and try again... I drove mine for months like this although there was a lot of finger crossing at MoT time cos it's a fail if it won't start!

Rog

Repeated clicking is usually when there is insufficient power in the battery to drive the starter motor, the solenoid clicks in ok but then the motor effectively shorts out the battery because it's flat, the solenoid drops out, the battery voltage recovers a bit, the solenoid clicks back in, the cycle repeats. If you suspect the battery is flat try jump leads, if the battery is ok you probably have a poor connection in the starter circuit somewhere.

HTH Shaun.

If it's a pre-engaged starter it could be the solenoid, assuming it is the same as the one on my Perkins engine. There are two windings in the solenoid, one is very thick wire and is earthed through the starter motor. The other is thinner wire and is wired straight to earth. (The 'hot' end of each coil is connected together and to the starter switch).

On turning the key the thick coil pulls the solenoid armature, engages the pinion and connects the battery to the motor. At this point the thick coil is shorted out and the thin coil holds the solenoid. If the thin coil is open circuit the solenoid will not hold and you get the repeated clicking.

On mine the thin coil became unsoldered at one end and I was able to repair it.

I know from bitter experience that testing a starter on the floor is pretty meaningless. Even a proper test rig cannot load a starter like a diesel on a cold morning (having trouble with a Perkins engine driving 3 hydraulic pumps at the moment. Won't start, fit a new starter and it starts fine, but the old starter bench tests ok at the diesel electrics place. It is because this application needs 100% starter performance, whereas the bench test only shows 60% performance). If you are confident that the battery and cables are ok, I'd fit a new starter, especially as you have the old one off already. I find a clamp meter very useful in this situation. If you measure voltage drop across the battery it is difficult to know whether it is because the battery is flat or because the starter is drawing a huge current. A clamp meter resolves this by measuring the current.

Gus

Had a similar problem with the 2.8 Diahatsu lump in my Rangie. Tried a new battery, then had the starter reconditioned all to no avail. I eventually cured it by running a live feed through a starter button on the dash straight to the small terminal on the starter and it works every time. It might be worth running a live to the terminal straight from your battery and see if that spins it.

Well, I thought I would test the battery - 11.6 V which I didn't think was too bad until I tested the winch battery, which was happily sat at 12.8V.

So thought for what it's worth, I would refit the starter, and try jump starting off the winch battery. Once refitted, it roared into life immediately... <_<

So, dimwit of the day award goes to me, for not thinking to check the battery yesterday. To be honest though, usually when I get a flat battery it just turns a lot slower. This clicky noise is a new one on me.

Battery is on charge now, so we will see if it manages to hold a charge this week, otherwise I guess it's new battery time. Still I guess it's cheaper than a new starter...

Cheers

Mark