When's Minstead this year

white90

Jon

I think I have the answer for you................

You won't need to join the HBRO, ...............not even pay an entry fee,

I will need to clear this 'new and exciting 4x4 driving expereince' idea with the officals, insurers, and committee, but basically my idea is for you to just turn up............. and as you come off the main road we will set out an area for you.... and others.

They will park up, ...........but you can enjoy yourself, as only you can

......in the car park mi7.gif

IMG_0048.jpg

Nige :ph34r:

I'll be up for the Mike Wolfe event. Not sure about the rest of the team yet :)

I have to say that I do agree with other gumpy s*ds regarding the membership. Wouldn't be so bad if it was incremental, half price for last half of the year, quarter of the cost for the last quarter ....type-kinda-thing :)

The HBRO is the club involved here. www.hbro.co.uk

I have nothing really to do with the club other than arrange and run this once a year Winch Challenege which is held, as you can guess by the name, in honour of an ex mate of mine - Mike Wolfe owner of KCC who was killed in an RTA.

The club has many members who knew Mike,

KCC support the event, I organzie an run it,

It is only once a year, and is a winch event which will suit 1st timers and experienced alike, Paul W has entered 2 from memory, and also enjoyed himself, we try to make the punches suit all sorts !, it has grown immensely in popularity, and has been featured 2 years running in the LR mags...

BUT, the club is excatly that. It is an ARC Club, for members mainly located in the Hants Berks surrey sussex captive areas.

As ARC club it has a set of rules that preclude most on this forum (me included), .....such is whatever lights your bulb, ..........ARC rules are NOT for me, ...........never have been ..........and never will be, I think Mr Reads quote of ARC rules sums up a feeling quite nicely :D

I have however helped the club with recovery, and they also run Drive Around Days (although agreed its been a bit quiet this year),

The club also does ARC RTVs, and a few other social and play events such as navigation dsys and fun events ie Chippy challenege (which is not a challenge in the sense of the winch words, more a treasure hunt type event.)

So, as you can see the 'Mike Wolfe Challenge' is a bit of a one off,........ run by what is at the end of the day, a die hard Land Rover ARC Club.

However, the club does allow me use of one of a few "Permits" which allows the club to hold a competitive event, but allow NON arc LRs, in fact NON LRs (last year 2 mates of mine in fairly tricked up suzukis entered !), .........and we had a heathly number of entries,... in fact ARC and NON ARC were alsomost even.

All seemed to enjoy themselves, there is a link on the "Old Site"..... I may see if I can find it and post up.

FOUND IT !

http://www.lrenthusiastforum.com/ubbthread...&fpart=all&vc=1

(have a good read......................)

The event was odd last year (apart from the Eales dying on the day at home - Grrrrr) in that some long term members of the HBRO entered into the event under NION ARC section !, and some new members entered ARC as they had just bought their LR and had no mods so it was within ARC ruules.

PLEASE do not ask me about ARC rules,..... I am not really interested .....and don't know,

.................I know that I will never have an ARC truck !

The club therefore hosts this event as a bit a of a special "One Off" event, and an event it is....

We have found that those who entered have enjoyed themselves and want to enter again, it is not a true out and out "Blood guts death and glory" event, ......although damage has been seen, .....often as a result of , .....er how shall we say ................."VERY Enthusiastic Driving styles".

The event is normally set out with 3 levels of punches

easy - suit begineers,

medium suit enthusiastic beginers,

and hard to extreme, .............yes they are too !

This way to 'win' you need to do them all, .....or a lrage number of them,.......

to have a go and have some fun then go for the easy and mediums maybe,

There are 2 classes, ARC and NON ARC,

so as a begineer, the ARC route would see you in a fairly std LR entering in a similar field of specd LRs,

the NON ARC Class, ..............well, anything goes............. virtaully ...........as long as it safe. :angry:

Places will be limited, .....and last year we were over subscribed and I did turn people away.

To make things fair Clubs members will be offerred places 1st,

There will this year ONLY be 2x 4x4 teams (no single entries) and there will be a number set as a maxiumum entry for both overall, and then split to ARC and NON ARC, again some club members may chose either class, those who are still members from last time (ie renewed) will be 1st offerred...

There will be offers of entry outside the club after this... (I would estimate 8 - 12 Team places available - I have in the nicest way already "Noted" some people I know are up for it) but at the mo it is in the planning stages.

The HBRO is a club, it is there for the memebrs, and they are as I have said a ARC club, mainly based on ARC RTVs, Drive Around days etc, .....and this the "MWWC" is just 1 thing the club does and allows me to do for them.

As such it is fair to say that for some this will be.... and is..... the only time they may attend a HBRO Event, as such it could be viewed that its expensive,??

Or anther view may be that stuff the membership costs .....the membership and the entry is still good value overall for what has in the past proven to be a damned good days winching event...

Yers pays yer money and takes yer choice - ..................or not !

Since I started these events others have sprung up,

Shires have done them, ................and now the AWDC,

The costs for the AWDC are quite a bit more than HBROs, so membership costs are eaten into a bit.

Shires is again a club that does these, and they are probably more of the style the MWWC is aimed at,

If you wnat to win at all costs, .....and complete in a highly competetive event, ....the MWWC and HBRO event is not probably for you, ........if you want to fall about laughing at others, have the rib taken out of you, ..........and give some and more back, :P meet new friends and have a danmed good laugh,.... then the MWWC is for you... :D

I do it only because of the requests I get each year to do so, ..................

My initail plan was to set it up, ......and then hand it over to others to run,.... it has not ended up that way.

I and a few others (Nigel T - lwt1981 on this forum) Ed Ellis, Bob Davis, Dave Knight, Bill Brown, Nick Jennings and others (sorry if I forgot anyone !) have pledged to help, these events take a huge amount of planning and time to sort.

I can understand Jon Ws commnets, to a degree me too ?, :blink::blink:

I have not been to a HBRO event for as long as I can remember, and yet I have paid membership to organize this event - werid or what ! :blink::blink::blink:

I do not want this to end up as a "Lets Slag HBRO off" thread, they are an ARC Club, and thats about it,

As I said ARC is not my cup of tea, .....and I know many others too,..... but they are ARC and are likely to remain so for the forseeable future and further....

So, it is I guess "Just another event" ?? :huh:

Except the entarnts are all there beacuse of what the event has developed into,

the drivers are freindly and some slighly mad,

but all want a good day out, ......................:wub:

and that what I will try to do, the costs,

well its members only,

which from memory is around £25 per year,

the entry fee around £45 per 4x4, teams of 2,

so that £45 each plus membership each if your not.

Socail allows a NON DRIVING winch bitch at £3 per winch bitch.

So, team of 2 4x4s non members would be say

£25 membership driver £3 winch bitch

£45 entry and same for other teams, £73 each entrant total.....

oh and you get membership to the other events,

hopefully more in 2006, drive round days etc etc, and the club mag.

AWDC is I think £60 entry plus you need to be a member, ....but is aimed at a different entrant,

This seriously will suit 1st timers, their are NUMEROUS Marshal about to help and guide, and if you fancy having a go then you will be entering an event that will keep you busy all day..... and as others will testify (eh TC ??) some of the more HARD sectiosn are exactly that, great photo of TC and Tangoman in a ravine, and you were there for a while :D ??

So, thats as I see it, ...........

Those who have been before will vote with their wallets, ......

if it was as good as I was told it was, .......and they enjoyed themselves a huge amount they will be there again, .............and I will try to accomodate all,

if its too expensive ??,...... or the thought of membership bumps it too high, then sorry, but there is nothing I can do about it, ..............

hopefully the above fully explains my position, .............and why it is the way it is..

Jeeez, all this negative stuff, bit like I'm posting on LRE mi7.gif

Nige

Well while I might not be eligable for other HBRO events but I think that the membership is fair game given all the effort they put into the event organisation and marshalling. And if Nige does another in the spring we get two Mike Wolfe's for the cost of one years membership.

Hope to do this one but no idea about team mate yet.

Well while I might not be eligable for other HBRO events but I think that the membership is fair game given all the effort they put into the event organisation and marshalling. And if Nige does another in the spring we get two Mike Wolfe's for the cost of one years membership.

Hope to do this one but no idea about team mate yet.

You said that it is an ARC club. That means that you should be able to enter without being a member of your club as long as you are a member of any ARC club.