Collapsible ramp for big dog?

Our 60kg Kangal is having some joint issues in her front paws, so now the vet says she's not allowed to jump in/out of the car anymore. And at 60kg I'll get a hernia on a hernia if I have to lift her in/out every time.
Would have to work for both the P38 and the GLE.

A ramp would be the logical solution. But the ones that are strong enough are also huge, even the collapsible ones.

Now, we already have an extendable roof tent ladder that we carry with us anyway, this type (picture stolen off the interwebs):
image.png.caf125fd4c392cc7dce83e48ccd5611a.png

At an overlanding shop we saw the iKamper HC steps, which looked interesting: https://ikamper.com/products/hc-steps
HCSteps-Carousel4.thumb.webp.8410b8a530d980076c0fe0342cc64390.webp

But I'm not sure how well those would work when laid more horizontal. And the price is a little bit eye-watering, especially this side of the pond :blink:

So I'm trying to think of what I can fab up myself. Either fabric around the ladder like those steps, or something extendable in wood/metal, but I can't think of anything that wouldn't take up a huge amount of space.

Any ideas? And/or any alternatives to the iKamper steps?

40 minutes ago, steve b said:

What about a small wheelchair manual fold out ramp or similar for small dirt-bikes? 

Steve

Not a bad idea, but not really smaller nor cheaper :(
Found this, which could work size-wise. But way overkill weight capacity, and not really made for going that high up.
https://eur.vevor.com/threshold-ramp-c_10406/vevor-portable-wheelchair-ramp-6-ft-800-lbs-capacity-non-slip-aluminum-folding-threshold-ramp-foldable-mobility-scooter-ramp-wheel-chair-ramp-handicap-ramp-for-home-steps-stairs-doorways-curbs-p_010661844968

Probably can't be much shorter than that, or she'd just jump instead...

But them I'm probably better off just getting one of these, which at least isn't ludicrously long when packed:
https://www.zooplus.nl/shop/honden/benches/loopplank/kleinmetall/1365131?activeVariant=1365131.0

I just don't know where I'm going to put it when the car is packed up for camping :(

The hard part will be persuading her to use the ramp! My old GSD needed help getting in and out but was a right cow (or should that be bitch?) to get to use the ramp rather than leap out! My current two haven't got to the age where they need a ramp so it is gathering dust in the garage.

Just buy one with an ali extrusion and not one with hinges that use the strength of the hinge to "lock out" when open - they fail - ask me how I know! :D 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bishbosh said:

The hard part will be persuading her to use the ramp! My old GSD needed help getting in and out but was a right cow (or should that be bitch?) to get to use the ramp rather than leap out! My current two haven't got to the age where they need a ramp so it is gathering dust in the garage.

Just buy one with an ali extrusion and not one with hinges that use the strength of the hinge to "lock out" when open - they fail - ask me how I know! :D 

Yeah, that'll be a challenge... Good tip on the hinges, thanks :)

I use Zooplus for complete food for my Wolfhound(s) .....you'd think with such long legs they would just walk in but oh no....

I ended up using heavy marine ply that then had to have green gritted roof felt to be of an acceptable standard and grass coloured. 

The phrase is Diva's :)

What about getting a local fab shop to fold some ally into U shaped trays - inner one plain U outer with a double return that the plain one slides into (if two will do it for function and onboard storing. Otherwise each inner could be a smaller copy of the outer to nest three or four to shorten storage ...if you see what I'm trying to describe:D

Steve

2 hours ago, steve b said:

The phrase is Diva's :)

I've got a princess like that as well <_<

2 hours ago, steve b said:

What about getting a local fab shop to fold some ally into U shaped trays - inner one plain U outer with a double return that the plain one slides into (if two will do it for function and onboard storing. Otherwise each inner could be a smaller copy of the outer to nest three or four to shorten storage ...if you see what I'm trying to describe:D

Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was thinking.

I was also thinking of some thin wooden boards that slide away from each other and are stopped by some pins on the side, and supported by the ladder. Not sure if that'll be too weak or not...

1 hour ago, Arjan said:

False floor to hide it under ?

There's a big battery there... and already don't have enough height inside really :(

There are various different types of bike ramp with different surfaces, widths, lengths and number of joints. They are all relatively light weight but strong well worth a closer look. I've seen wider ones for mobility scooters too.

Mike

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

There are various different types of bike ramp with different surfaces, widths, lengths and number of joints. They are all relatively light weight but strong well worth a closer look. I've seen wider ones for mobility scooters too.

Mike

True, worth looking into more. Something like this looks like a good start, would be great if it had more but shorter sections.

https://www.oprijplatenshop.nl/aluminium-oprijplaat-uitschuifbaar-180-cm/

image.png.2f91444e69b07220eabdc68db1b96498.png

I sketched this out in a notepad last evening, tried transferring it to Whiteboard to add some colours for maybe less confusion. I think it shows the idea I have in my mind for adapting the ladder.
Not even remotely to scale, but gives a basic idea.

image.thumb.png.4e66eef49f7929be6c22cfa0ef82bc7b.png

Black = the extendable roof tent ladder
Red = 10-20mm wooden boards or so
Green = some sort of attachment point
Blue = steel cable

This should fold up fairly small. The wooden boards don't have to be super thick, as they're supported by the ladder. Just strong enough to hold the cables.
Attached to the top and bottom of the ladder with the cables so it'll fold out/up together with the ladder (sort of, it'll be floppy). If the cables are tight at full extension, it shouldn't move much I think?

Then just need to make sure the surface is grippy enough.

Need to play around with the actual ladder and grab some actual dimensions...

Made a start with some leftover boards. Way overkill, but had it sitting around.

20240502_165230.thumb.jpg.1e4f023aee0949593f0891a260fc2420.jpg

20240502_170532.thumb.jpg.d96e8128a0ff21fface14c5fe67b1d74.jpg

Then I thought I'd quickly pop over to the DIY store for some steel cable. I  could've walked there by now, have been standing still on the motorway for almost two hours due to an overturned lorry :angry2:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, elbekko said:

Made a start with some leftover boards. Way overkill, but had it sitting around.

20240502_165230.thumb.jpg.1e4f023aee0949593f0891a260fc2420.jpg

20240502_170532.thumb.jpg.d96e8128a0ff21fface14c5fe67b1d74.jpg

Then I thought I'd quickly pop over to the DIY store for some steel cable. I  could've walked there by now, have been standing still on the motorway for almost two hours due to an overturned lorry :angry2:

That's looking really smart and very compact

Regards Stephen

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to get a pic of it fully extended and on the car.

20240517_182515.thumb.jpg.cde334b6b1b296da68b058e6b456eb55.jpg

It works well, but folding in/out is a bit of a faff. Especially with the cables wanting to get tangled constantly. Might have to redo things a bit on that front, as well as find a way to use some thinner (lighter) boards.

The dog is slowly getting used to it, but she still requires quite a bit of convincing to actually go up and down it. And she still jumps the last bit...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

If jumping out is the issue, we got a yoga mat for our 42kg Mal to jump onto  Its only about 15mm thick but much better on rhe front legs than jumping straight onto a hard surface, and they're quite cheap. We cut a big one in half. She wouldn't use a ramp so I lifted her in but as an independent soul she wanted to get out unaided.

• Like 1

Also, Librela was very effective in mitigating effects of arthritis; she lost a back leg and we were trying to make sure the remaining one kept working. Sorry a bit OT.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe simply halving the distance up/down with a step would do?

There are various sized folding step-uo platforms

ILOKNZI Adjustable Height Aluminum Motorhome Step, Caravan Step, Foldable Platform Step Stool, Supports Up to 300KG, Non-Slip Rubber Feet, Easy to Carry https://amzn.eu/d/h1BMpxt

On 5/30/2024 at 5:48 PM, fmmv said:

Also, Librela was very effective in mitigating effects of arthritis; she lost a back leg and we were trying to make sure the remaining one kept working. Sorry a bit OT.

Our 15 year old labradoodle is on librela for her back legs.  It has been very effective on her arthritis and suspected cruciate ligaments.  She’s at the vet right now doing tests to find the cause of blood clots in her urine today and yesterday.  Librela can cause that, unfortunately, as it is hard on the liver and kidneys.

• Sad 3