Winch Motors

Petergg

theres the new 48V format on the horizon too if thats of help? AB automotive have been working on it as it was supposed to be adopted as an industry standard for higher end production cars but seems a little bit slow in actually being taken up

whats the significance of these rare motors Jim?

Rare motors?

One possibility is that you can 'persuade' an alternator to produce almost any voltage you like. If you started with a remote sensed 24v alternator and connected the sense wire, via the lamp, to the positive of the battery at 24v. The charge output is connected to the +ve of the battery at 36v I reckon that in order to bring the second battery up to 24v it will self regulate to 36 to charge the three in series.

By hacking the regulator, it is apparently possible to get 240v out of a 12v alternator. Getting 36 or 48v should be possible so long as the diodes in the rectifier do not break down.

I have wondered about using a switch-mode voltage dropper to charge the vehicle 12v battery from the combo of 24v (or 36v) winch batteries to remove the need for a second alternator.

Si

Im pretty sure you would need a DC DC convertor anyhow - the truckers have the same issue, if you spike off just one battery to provide the 12v then unequal charging becomes an issue?!?!, we had a problem with this in a 24volt nissan patrol with a 12v radio in it but that may have just been nissan wierdness?!?!

these Bowmotor 2s Si, was curious why they are hard to get and if they had anything special about them

Trail weld alternators are 120V as a norm - you can buy thoses off the shelf in the States for notalottacash.

Im pretty sure you would need a DC DC convertor anyhow - the truckers have the same issue, if you spike off just one battery to provide the 12v then unequal charging becomes an issue?!?!, we had a problem with this in a 24volt nissan patrol with a 12v radio in it but that may have just been nissan wierdness?!?!

these Bowmotor 2s Si, was curious why they are hard to get and if they had anything special about them

Trail weld alternators are 120V as a norm - you can buy thoses off the shelf in the States for notalottacash.

Jez, Bowmotor 2's aren't made any more and they do work well so the few that exist don't really change hands. I've never had one appart (I've only seen 2 or 3) but supposidly they're handbuilt to a high standard. Jim's knows a fair bit about them - that's what he used to run before his twin motor tophousing.

Edited to add - Re alternators, I'm using an FFR spec one. Cost £50 at one of the shows last year (either new surplus or military recon); 24V, 90 amp in a usable rev range and nice and tough. Even though its quite big I reckon it should be up to the job I'm going to ask of it. If not, it was only £50 so if it doesn't work I've not lost much and spares won't be a problem!

Peter,

Thought you knew a certain Chap that already runs a 36v system on a Hi-lux.........?

Or am i mistaken...... :)

Like the idea of 36 through 24, that is very level thinking........

Si, 36 volt altternaters are becoming available as they starting to use 36v on these new kneeling buses etc...

But God knows how much they cost...

Jim :)

Hi Jim,

Yes you are right SC, forgot about that I don't think he charges at 36v as he has a 24v alternator I will have to give him a call.

Peter

Will, your 24v military alt - does it look a look like an old lucas 45amp alt on steroids? I.E. about twice the size in all dimensions? I was offered something along those lines at the weekend but it had no numbers or rating on it so was reluctant to buy, maybe now I should reconsider :huh:

I have a bit of a thing for alternators (should probably get it checked out :ph34r: ) and in my current collection are a new VAG 140amp, a new BMW 6cyl diesel 150amp, a new 100amp magnetti marelli 300tdi aircon, and a used 100amp range rover alt (unknown origin). Plus an assortment of knarkered ones i'm raiding for pulleys etc. Maybe its time I broadened my collection to include 24v stuff too :lol:

Rare motors?

One possibility is that you can 'persuade' an alternator to produce almost any voltage you like. If you started with a remote sensed 24v alternator and connected the sense wire, via the lamp, to the positive of the battery at 24v. The charge output is connected to the +ve of the battery at 36v I reckon that in order to bring the second battery up to 24v it will self regulate to 36 to charge the three in series.

By hacking the regulator, it is apparently possible to get 240v out of a 12v alternator. Getting 36 or 48v should be possible so long as the diodes in the rectifier do not break down.

I have wondered about using a switch-mode voltage dropper to charge the vehicle 12v battery from the combo of 24v (or 36v) winch batteries to remove the need for a second alternator.

Si

we had a new '82 24v Patrol and had no end of bother with the dropper too

theres the new 48V format on the horizon too if thats of help? AB automotive have been working on it as it was supposed to be adopted as an industry standard for higher end production cars but seems a little bit slow in actually being taken up

Hi Jez,

These motors are larger than standard and are actually very well built with nice sealing end covers and 'o' rings on the armerature etc.....

Just good quality kit, they have an actual rating of a geniune 4HP, although in todays figures you would probably call it a 8 hp :lol:

They are lovely, but were expensive to buy at around £400+vat each

They are unfortunatley no longer available as the cost of items is now close to £1000 per unit :o

And they are very sort after, Edd Cobley runs one on the Ibex (Although it has been removed as he's selling the car) And i'm lucky enough to have two 24v versions and a brand spanking 12v version.

The 12volt version is a monster with 8 brushes.... :blink: and again wonderful build quality......

Shame these are not more readily available, although saying this, had they been, i'm sure that the twinmotor setup would still be only a dream, not reality.

Moral of this....??????? If you see one grab it, also uif you have any of the orginal 'Bow' 1 style motors, don't bin them if they burn out, spend the money and have them rewound as quality like that is very hard to find.

Jim :)

Will, your 24v military alt - does it look a look like an old lucas 45amp alt on steroids? I.E. about twice the size in all dimensions? I was offered something along those lines at the weekend but it had no numbers or rating on it so was reluctant to buy, maybe now I should reconsider :huh:

I guess it looks vaugely like a massive version of a stanard alternator. Should have a plate on there showing voltage, current output etc. Unless its as new I wouldn't bother with it; they're cheap enough at any show so its worth getting a good one.