Aircraft batteries

2 hours ago, BogMonster said:

"Aircraft quality" just means 5 to 10 times the price........

At least it isn’t as bad a herald to those in the know as “military grade”…🙄

22 minutes ago, JohnnoK said:

Aircraft batteries are not compact, they tend towards robust and beefy to meet the needs of aircraft. They are also usually Ni-Cad or Lead Acid, Lithium are the territory of Boeing 787 and the new big metal or the small bug smashers.

Airbus saw the problems with the 787s Li batteries and stick with NiCad for the A350.  Wise.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Snagger said:

At least it isn’t as bad a herald to those in the know as “military grade”…🙄

You wouldn't buy military grade toilet paper...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, landroversforever said:
16 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Grease proof paper anyone?

You’re too young to know this but “Izal anyone”?

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, JLM said:

She wanted an induction cooking hob rather than gas as it's "cleaner and safer, and won't need refills"

I've seen a few overland builds put these in, as you say when you add up the power requirements I just can't believe the cost is worth not having a bottle of gas or something to make a fire in.

2 hours ago, Peaklander said:

You’re too young to know this but “Izal anyone”?

Standard school toilet paper. Izal medicated. One side you could shave with the creases and the other was ideal for sanding spark plug gaps

• Haha 4

I’m afraid that I have caused undo mental health issues to me and others on here. Hopefully temporary. @Stellaghost that link is right on the money. It was awful stuff and the alternative, carefully torn pieces of newspaper, hanging on a piece of wire, was far more acceptable. 

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I've seen a few overland builds put these in, as you say when you add up the power requirements I just can't believe the cost is worth not having a bottle of gas or something to make a fire in.

I know for Steph and Lee (Grizzly'n'Bear) the reasoning for induction wasn't actually cost etc., but the practicalities. They were having issues on some ferries and borders trying to cross with a gas bottle (some far eastern countries if I remember correctly). They were also running into difficulties in trying to fill them as lots of countries didn't have the same fittings etc. For them it was easier to ditch the big propane bottle and go induction cooker.

Where possible they tend to cook on a BBQ and they do still I think have the little jetboil as that's a bit more standardised and being smaller less of an issue crossing borders and ferries.

They also gained quite a bit of space by ditching the bottle - given their power setup more or less handled the induction top anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

There's diesel fired cookers, they're spendy but at least they give you a simple setup with fuel you already have on board.

Burnt diesel fumes when you're cooking? No thanks! How do they make that work?

13 minutes ago, bishbosh said:

Burnt diesel fumes when you're cooking? No thanks! How do they make that work?

Through money all things are possible...

https://www.webasto.com/en-int/heating/rv-heater/diesel-cooker-x-100.html

I suspect it's a modification of a Webasto heater so it has an external exhaust, there seem to be models that can act as heater and/or cooking hob which makes sense.

The diesel stoves are a great idea, essentially they work the same as an eberspacher and they can be used as a cabin heater as well. However the one I fitted for someone was very expensive and utterly useless, took ages to warm up and cook and took up far more space than it should.

I've had trouble with gas bottles on Scottish ferry's let alone aboard. We had to hide it inside the truck.

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

Not the ones I've used on a narrowboat.... it just looked like a normal ceramic hob top to the casual observer. 

My experience is only of the  military type - generally hated 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2024 at 2:09 PM, Bowie69 said:

This is normal, as it allows the rest of the car to turn on and tell you the state of the car when the main battery is flat or inoperable. Also allows use of normal 12V car electronics for everything except the propulsion system so everything still works (unless that battery also goes flat....)

Yes, the use of a 12V battery in EVs is well established, for all the reasons mentioned. What I didn't expect was most are using a lead acid battery instead of lithium.   

9 minutes ago, Escape said:

Yes, the use of a 12V battery in EVs is well established, for all the reasons mentioned. What I didn't expect was most are using a lead acid battery instead of lithium.   

Ah fair point, they are a fair bit cheaper I guess.... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Ah fair point, they are a fair bit cheaper I guess.... 

It's rather more critical than that - lithium batteries don't like being outside a quite narrow temperature range, something like 0-40°C if I recall, to even operate safely. I think they require even tighter constraints if they're to be operating optimally. Basically the lead acid is there to start the main battery pack, if it's too cold then it warms it up - if it's too hot then it can cool it down.

Thinking about it I don't know if it has to be always on or whether that's just for when power is being pulled out of the battery pack.

• Like 4

Unless you're talking about transport category aircraft - in which case the batteries are going to be far, far too big for usage in automotive applications, aircraft batteries borrow technology for the automotive world. That's where all the innovation exists and isn't stifled by bureaucracy. 

Originally my plane was certified with a big Gill lead-acid battery in the tail underneath the baggage area. In more recent decades it was allowable to get a Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) to put a much smaller AGM battery on the firewall. This has the advantage of being lighter weight, removing a significant amount of heavy-gauge wire, better starting, and the engine heater will keep the battery warm in arctic climates. Picture attached with the battery on the left side of my firewall (Right side, WRT to the photo). This battery costs me $200, which for plane parts is shockingly cheap.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/odysseydry7.php

IMG_20200821_141429.thumb.jpg.7b1a19cdf2b29df98a7c8778c019b814.jpg

• Like 3