L322 supercharged vs non-supercharged

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a L322 facelift (2010-2012) with the 5.0 V8 Supercharged engine. There is coming one up for auction next week (in The Netherlands, where I live), it's too far for me to drive over and take a look but there are a bunch of pictures and information available. It says: "Range Rover 5.0 V8 Supercharged 510pk 2012" (pk = bhp). I looked up the license plate, it was a German car originally and got imported into The Netherlands a few years back. After examining the pictures very closely, I noticed some strange things.

The back, look at the exhausts: 

image.thumb.png.8b454b48ba05c9560d3dbbba17d81aa3.png

I know the 5.0 V8 Supercharged has on both sides straight exhausts popping out like this:

image.png.93d2fec5095a58e33ae37ae3bca0c809.png

But OK, maybe someone changed the exhaust, could happen. The picture of the engine:

image.thumb.png.0c181df315246b7f3df5942dae35ae54.png

The badge saying "supercharged" is missing next to the V8 logo. OK, maybe someone ripped it of?

I put the VIN number into the Land Rover VIN decoder and it says:

image.png.5faf867a8281117148dca72b83c56bfa.png

Hmm, not very clear because both the supercharged and the non-supercharged version are NA engines, right? But shouldn't it say "SC" or something? For example, I looked up the VIN of a L405 with a 5.0 V8 supercharged:

image.png.38e34953a53c83e6853e07d52db93964.png

It clearly says "SC".

But the ad of the L322 states it's a 5.0 V8 Supercharged and that it has 510bhp etc etc .. 

So are they trying to rip someone off, or maybe during the import from DE to NL some falsely reported this vehicle as a supercharged model ..

Or am I missing something?

Edited by Landy7

That's not a picture of the supercharged V8 engine, it has a large intake coming from round the back of the engine.

Who knows, they may just be making an honest mistake.

'NA' normally means 'Normally Aspiriated', i.e. not turbo or supercharged.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Who knows, they may just be making an honest mistake.

That's true, and it has the looks of it because I also ran a license plate check and it says it's a 510bhp vehicle .. So even on the registration documents etc. it's stated that it has 510bhp, so I assume it was processed wrong during import from DE to NL, possibly because in NL the NA version of the 5.0 V8 was not available for purchase..

Clearly not a supercharged engine. You're probably right, some mix up in the paperwork when it was imported. If you can get a photo of the original German documents, that should clear things up.

BTW, whereabouts in Belgium are you?

AFAIK  there is no such thing as a non supercharged 5.0l V8 in European markets? Options at that age were 4.4TDV8 diesel or 5.0SC petrol? As I say, AFAIK.

Ask for a photo with the engine cover removed - should make things somewhat clearer!

A good check would be to open the filler cap to see what fuel it takes. You can also just pull off the plastic vanity cover to see what's underneath. But I appreciate this is an auction and can't do both of those!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I sent all of the info to the auction place, they would "look into it" but never heard back and it's still up for auction.. advertised as a 5.0L V8 SC. 

Anyway, last week a good deal came up for a 4.4 TDV8 that I couldn't refuse so I ditched the 5.0 SC plan and bought the 4.4 TDV8.

• Like 3

By all accounts, in real world driving the 4.4TDV8 is on a par with the supercharged. I certainly loved mine and never wanted for more power!

• Like 1