New workshop project

20 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Depending on what you're doing.... a 110 could always be turned on some wheel skates. 

Meh…  I think he should go the whole hog and fit a turntable like so many Tokyo garages have!  

Have it as a lifting turntable, fit a sliding roof and have the trees outside fold out of the way - anything can happen in the next 30 minutes!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The 6m is the external length too, so it’s actually closer to 5.7m by the time the wall thickness is taken into account. If I can squeeze a few more inches in I will, but the boundary is a bank that will need supporting and a drain at the bottom.

Discussions with the council have flagged a few building standards issues but hopefully nothing insurmountable. I will likely have to remove the windows from the rear wall though, or change the cladding to a non-combustible type.

Today has seen the temporary shed get a floor and a door, so I have started moving stuff across in preparation for the big one coming down. I also re-purposed the old hot tub power supply to give me a couple of sockets in there, for use on the build.

Once everything is moved across it’s on with dismantling the big garage. Current plan is roof off first, then cladding/insulation and finally the frame. 

4f78ddfa-66f0-491c-85e7-0e6e0766d95b.thumb.jpeg.53eb684d65a6bafdcb849982346f120b.jpeg

• Like 3

Silly suggestion but do you have enough space to reverse a vehicle long the front of the shed so you can drive in at the gable end (hot tub)?

Might give you the headroom for a lift then? You could still keep the double doors on the front because you could drive over the middle of the lift to park a vehicle there normally (unless you fancied sinking it into the slab like an MOT test bay.

1 hour ago, Ed Poore said:

Silly suggestion but do you have enough space to reverse a vehicle long the front of the shed so you can drive in at the gable end (hot tub)?

Might give you the headroom for a lift then? You could still keep the double doors on the front because you could drive over the middle of the lift to park a vehicle there normally (unless you fancied sinking it into the slab like an MOT test bay.

Could be a two-poster mounted between the doors then so it’s not in the way of using the doors normally. 

Yes I would have space but I won’t be going down the lift route so no benefit to rearranging things like that. It would also mean I couldn’t use the space to the side of the workshop for lean-to storage and garden shed etc. which is the plan.

Yes there’s a good pile of reusable bits appearing. Most of the OSB roof deck will go again, and theres a selection of various framing/roofing sections which could find a new purpose in the replacement building.

Won’t be much going in the bin with a log burner to feed :ph34r:

• Like 1

Planning permission came through so that’s good news.

Not so good is exposure to the weather has revealed that the existing slab is not as flat as I had thought. I do not think that it is going to be enough of an issue to be worth digging it up and relaying it though.

e123c598-435d-4b93-9c44-b975ff959f67.thumb.jpeg.3d1c83b8c6815da0e54a9bc3e9e96701.jpeg

The screed would just be a "special" watery mix of concrete - at least that's the guys who poured my workshop floor used but they were doing an 8" pour straight off. Therefore didn't cost anymore than the necessary volume of concrete mix. The skill bit is in the tamping not to let too much water flow up to the top. They only did it once in 6ft sections as they poured then sprayed a hardener over the top.

It's not perfectly flat - probably a 1mm depression in one spot (and that might be down to the paint to be honest). The chaps who poured it actually advised strongly against getting them to powerfloat it because they'd get such a smooth finish it'd be lethal as a workshop floor if oil got on it. They polish it if they're after a marble like finish. It's bad enough as it is with their "rough" finish.

May be a trick of photos but it doesn't look very non-flat at all. Could it be a good thing to have a known spot where spills are likely to collect?

Supremely jealous of either building as others have said. I have just measured my potential new garage and I wish it had a few more meters.

7 hours ago, miketomcat said:

@FridgeFreezer used some screed in his garage that's held up well.

Honestly the smooth screed + epoxy floor paint has been worth every penny, makes the place so much smarter, makes sweeping up or wiping up spills easy, stuff rolls across it easily, spills don't stain it.

7 hours ago, miketomcat said:

@FridgeFreezer used some screed in his garage that's held up well.

Mike

I used a self leveling screed in my last garage - can't remember exactly what it was, but it was a product designed specifically for high load areas. Stood up fine to jacks and the like.

We discussed the screed in the thread for my last garage (as linked above). To be strong enough for workshop use it would need to be of a thickness where I would be raising the floor height enough to be an issue.

It’s not going to be a problem, it’s probably only a 5-10mm dip at its worst and so is flat enough for a workshop floor.

The existing slab will get a pressure wash to remove the old loose paint and will then get a coat of new paint once the building is up around it, so should give me a nice finish just like the other one had. 

I didn't have that issue - the builders had done such a terrible job of the concrete that I had a lot more than that to make up... In fact I used regular concrete first to get it most of the way there. Can't remember the actual measurements, it's probably on here somewhere.

45 minutes ago, geoffbeaumont said:

I didn't have that issue - the builders had done such a terrible job of the concrete that I had a lot more than that to make up... In fact I used regular concrete first to get it most of the way there. Can't remember the actual measurements, it's probably on here somewhere.

The Sika one is 4-30mm and is rated for forklifts etc.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

To be strong enough for workshop use it would need to be of a thickness where I would be raising the floor height enough to be an issue.

As Anderzander says, the HD stuff can be pretty thin (mine is only a few mm in most places) and still tough, as long as you prepare the surface first it will stick.

We will see how the joining of the new bits onto the existing slab goes. If I can’t get a nice flat joint then I might need something to smooth it off. I’m hoping though that I’ll be able to get something that’s flat enough that with a coat of paint it will be fine.

• Like 1