Nearly one year on, 25,000km and lots of frustration with my D250

Hi everyone,

So we finally got our D250 last summer, said farewell to our 2007 110, and hit the roads of Europe with it. Here is a mixed bag of comments:

- The car is powerful and easy to drive, it is comfortable and can take any road. That's just what I expected from a Defender.

- The electronics are "LR quality", which means bugs, black displays, wrong alerts, etc. Seriously, it is not up to the level you would expect from the segment LR claims to be.

- The car has had many annoying problems which required me to bring it back to the dealer several times during the year. From the top of my head: the bonnet couldn't close in winter (hence preventing the car from functioning normally), the back passenger door couldn't open due to a wrongly assembled plastic joint (can't explain better, it's this large plastic piece near the stupid "signature plate"), the wipers were not wiping and had to be changed after a few months (not under warranty), the driver's seat has a bulge which makes you feel you kept a something in your back pocket when driving.

...and it is whistling! Twice the service claimed to have worked it out, but it's always coming back. Sometimes on the right, other moments on the left, sometimes it's just the upper part of the windshield (this weird piece above of what seems plastic) which is making a strange noise as if full of jumping gravel... Of course, it's intermittent, so I feel stupid complaining but I assure you it's very frustrating to have this experience with a new car and not a cheap one.

I am very unhappy with the service. They are slow and incomplete (had me come back once because they forgot the last electronic check-up to fill in a warranty claim. I live far away from them, and it's taking me time), and they don't seem to know much about the car, etc.

Due to these issues, I'm considering reselling the car. I've had LR cars for a long time, but this is such an ordeal I'm giving up.

I have questions:

- Does that correspond to your experience?

- Do you know if I can make a proper complaint at LR about the car and dealer?

- Does anyone have any tips about the whistling?

The whistling: check the mirrors and door seals. The smallest gap can cause whistling in some circumstances, especially when it's windy.

The seat: have you tried tilting it back a bit more? I had a similar feeling in my GLE at first, but managed to get it adjusted away.

12 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

If you get rid, what vehicle will you look to replace it with?

I won't take a Grenadier (thirsty and weird service system) although I liked the car. I'm looking at either the new Land Cruiser, the Jeep Renegade, or the Skoda Kodiaq. I like also very much the Jimny but it's too small for a family of 4.

• Thanks 1

l've had my 90 D250 since November 2022, and it's now on 14,000 miles.

The vehicle has been pretty much flawless. l've not had to take it back to the dealer for anything except to fit some USB ports that weren't installed due to shortages in production.

l've had no issues with the media system, apart from user error. l have the 10" screen.

The vehicle is in use all day every day in my business and we've also towed the caravan with it on numerous occasions. The vehicle is exceptionally good at towing.

Previously l had a 2005 110 SW. The new one is a world apart from that. lt's not a Defender, it's a "New Defender"

While l wouldn't swap back, l do miss my old Defender and l am looking for one as a second car.

The "New Defender" is great to drive, and does have character although not like the old one. ln the old one every journey was an adventure. Which was not always a good thing.

But you'd arrive at a caravan site feeling like you'd achieved something.

• Like 1

We've also got a 2020 Jimny SZ5 and it's a superb little 4x4

Little being the operative word. lt's remarkably good for the size, much better ride than an old Defender. It seats 4 but with no luggage space at all.

But it's unstoppable off road and over the 4 years we've owned it been totally reliable. And, contrary to some reviews it's fine on the motorway so long as you drive it with regards to the type of vehicle that it is. So, 65mph. We recently did London and back in it, a round trip of over 400 miles and it was absolutely fine.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lightning said:

Previously l had a 2005 110 SW. The new one is a world apart from that. lt's not a Defender, it's a "New Defender"

While l wouldn't swap back, l do miss my old Defender and l am looking for one as a second car.

The "New Defender" is great to drive, and does have character although not like the old one. ln the old one every journey was an adventure. Which was not always a good thing.

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad yours is doing well. I feel I've picked up a bad apple but the basket is more or less fine.

I sometimes miss the old Defender but grew afraid of the next major issue. As stupid, I still wave at incoming Defenders but they never wave back at me...😭

You could buy an old Defender as a second vehicle. Prices have fallen, l missed a very nice metallic grey 2005 110 XS SW with under 100,000 miles that went at auction for £12,000 last week.

And it was a good one, no bodywork needed and chassis fine except for probably needing a mid crossmember in the near future