'92 Classic with serpentine belt ? Need some help here identifying the engine

Hello ! 

I recently aquired a 1992 Classic County 5dr. The engine code is a 36D41413B and has the 3.9 intake manifold which from my searches tell me it is an original 92-94 block.
But...there is a serpentine belt which I thought started in 1995. (the '92 had a 4 belt system - or was that not always the case?).
Also the alternator is on the passenger side next to the AC compressor as opposed to the driver side like on a 92, and the fan shroud is for a 4.0 1995.

So is it possible the front of the engine/cooling system was swapped to a '95 ?
How is that possible ?
Wouldn't the crank need to be swapped out for the seprnetine belt ? 

Any insights are greatly appreciated ! We need to figure this out so we can restore this one.

You need to tap the V8 knowledge on the forum for this - the guys you need probably don't visit this part of the forum much....eg @fridgefreezer, or do some searches 

Edited by joe1
  • Like 1

US spec vehicles were often different, that's about as much as I know(!)

Honestly, by 1992 you the dealerships were pretty lucky if they knew what they were going to get/be faced with.

• Like 1

A 36D is a 3.9 and not a 4.0. At least it is here in the UK. Is it a US export model (sold there new in the US) or a later import ?

The giveaway is, does it have a distributor ? If it does, then it will be an "intermediate" engine. Serp belt, crank driven oil pump, PS pump on the front of the LH cylinder head (looking from the flywheel end) 10 bolt heads. All good improvements over the older vee belt models.

US spec models seem to be an odd mix of things that we in the UK are generally unfamiliar with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the replies ! 
my pic posting was a fail , apologies, but yes - has distributor and alternator is on passenger side with AC compressor as a typical serpentine setup.
Motor shows no signs of major overhauls/replacement so we are baffled. Maybe it is just a "whatever was available on the parts shelf" manufacture back in 92.
Will check with the referred contacts - thank you !