90 / Defender heater upgrade

9 hours ago, Jon White said:

I’ve just been through all of this. The RDX fan is just a freelander 2 fan. Nothing more special than that (Nige and I saw it on sale at a show last year and took a note of the part numbers off the back). (Also used in an Evoque and various Volvos including a V60).

Anyway - less than a tenner from the breakers and a bit of fabrication its fitted.

I can report it makes a MASSIVE difference over the rubbish defender fan, and also forced me to remove the metal intake scoop i had over the wing top inlet as it can pull way more air in than that scoop can flow.

Slow speed is now faster than the defender was on full pelt, and on full pelt it makes a massive difference. Airflow is now much more balanced and equal side to side.

How is it for noise?  The Defender blower’s airflow through the vents is pretty noisy on high speed.  What is it like for heat on high?  The airflow might be too fast to pick up much heat in the matrix housing, so I wonder if you might end up with a higher volume of tepid air.

It’s no louder than any other car with the blower full on. That said I don’t give a stuff about noise. I have zero soundproofing and a tdi so noise is irrelevant. 

Can’t comment on heat as I haven’t driven it yet as the battery is flat 🤦🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

I've ordered a secondhand one from ebay for the princely sum of £15 delivered. I'll let you know how I got on with it when I eventually get round to fitting it.

Mo

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2024 at 6:59 PM, Jon White said:

I’ve just been through all of this. The RDX fan is just a freelander 2 fan. Nothing more special than that (Nige and I saw it on sale at a show last year and took a note of the part numbers off the back). (Also used in an Evoque and various Volvos including a V60).

Anyway - less than a tenner from the breakers and a bit of fabrication its fitted.

I can report it makes a MASSIVE difference over the rubbish defender fan, and also forced me to remove the metal intake scoop i had over the wing top inlet as it can pull way more air in than that scoop can flow.

Slow speed is now faster than the defender was on full pelt, and on full pelt it makes a massive difference. Airflow is now much more balanced and equal side to side.

I do also have an Eberspacher (equivalent) so heat was never a problem for me, however sufficient airflow for demisting was.

Hope this helps someone.

Jon

FB8CC98B-9C87-4DD1-9F2D-63FC0E89F459.jpeg

IMG_2891.jpeg

Jon, can you tell me the diameter and width of the impeller on this fan?

A few years back I squirrelled away a Disco 1 300 Tdi blower to explore such as upgrade - it's still at the vapour plan stage. Seeing you mention using the FL2 fan made me remember I had it, so I went digging in the shed this weekend.  The impeller is about 155mm diameter and 65mm wide. I don't have a Defender heater box or blower to measure up for size.

I powered this up yesterday and I feel it could easily blow the house down. I also have the part of ducting that has the resistor pack. Looks like it has 3 speeds. Maybe it'll fit......:unsure:

Fandia.jpg.84932ab8e951769876654ece0c8684b1.jpg

Fanwid.jpg.a79791e95b8382bbe170d32db34c57dc.jpg

Faniso.jpg.92b3f005919998b87e38f74652bbdcbe.jpgirfa

14 hours ago, mickeyw said:

Jon, can you tell me the diameter and width of the impeller on this fan?

A few years back I squirrelled away a Disco 1 300 Tdi blower to explore such as upgrade - it's still at the vapour plan stage. Seeing you mention using the FL2 fan made me remember I had it, so I went digging in the shed this weekend.  The impeller is about 155mm diameter and 65mm wide. I don't have a Defender heater box or blower to measure up for size.

I powered this up yesterday and I feel it could easily blow the house down. I also have the part of ducting that has the resistor pack. Looks like it has 3 speeds. Maybe it'll fit......:unsure:

Fandia.jpg.84932ab8e951769876654ece0c8684b1.jpg

Fanwid.jpg.a79791e95b8382bbe170d32db34c57dc.jpg

Faniso.jpg.92b3f005919998b87e38f74652bbdcbe.jpgirfa

I might be wrong but check which way the fan works, I've a feeling it spins the wrong way for the defender snail. If I'm wrong then I've missed a trick, but I'm sure I'd of saved one if it would work.

Mike

Thanks for the measurements @Mo Murphy.

Re the vane orientation, surely this just relates to the direction the motor rotates. It'll still take air from the inside and push it outward???  The diameter difference would take a bit more effort to accommodate. 

6 hours ago, miketomcat said:

I might be wrong but check which way the fan works, I've a feeling it spins the wrong way for the defender snail. If I'm wrong then I've missed a trick, but I'm sure I'd of saved one if it would work.

Mike

I'm trying to picture it all assembled. Maybe better for LHD trucks, diameters aside ;) 

1 minute ago, mickeyw said:

Re the vane orientation, surely this just relates to the direction the motor rotates. It'll still take air from the inside and push it outward???  The diameter difference would take a bit more effort to accommodate. 

🤷‍♂️

7 hours ago, mickeyw said:

The way it's mounted in the snail means it'll be creating back pressure then chucking the air at the side of the air entry hole rather than down it.

Mike

• Like 2

As I had a heater box to hand and some time, I mocked up and 3D printed a flange. Just need a FL2 motor to accurately determine its mounts, and it should be modelled up, ready to print.

The narrowing on one side was intentional until clearance by the heater box was established. Turns out it can be perfectly round.

20240820_185835.thumb.jpg.5c2723425089b87283c3bfe21d9d25bf.jpg

20240820_183004.thumb.jpg.ac13680139edf152349fc761abc04a1c.jpg

20240820_183333.thumb.jpg.e78c003f4be261b03f61c91f888e833e.jpg

20240820_183559.thumb.jpg.20fd94bd822b413f8d9554b5d85412db.jpg

20240820_183613.thumb.jpg.1bab1a732b99b78aea114cec2efbb703.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, landroversforever said:

@Mo Murphy maybe foggy might be a good candidate for the broken one you’ve got?

7 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

@foggy3061

I have a fl2 fan that you can use, pm me your address 👍

Mo

Thanks for the offer but, I've already manage to source a very cheap FL2 fan. It should be here this week.

A few more dimensions and I should have another adapter to trial.

• Like 3