Supercharger!

jameslwt

This sounds like fun!

Moose (Disco forum) and I have a friend with an 88" series 3. with the standard petrol block in it. He has come up with the idea of fitting a supercharger?! Does anyone know much about this? He's looking at an Eaton E45, which apparently you can get cheap(ish) of Eblag as they were fiited as standard to Mini Cooopers but most buyers/new owners go for the factory/dealer pereformance upgrade with a bigger one. Hence they sell the almost new ones off cheap.

I vagauely remember eading a magazine article a while back about someone who did this, but seeing as his truck will be sat in my workshop whilst he does this - if he does this, I want to know whats going on etc!

Cheers

James

This sounds like fun!

Moose (Disco forum) and I have a friend with an 88" series 3. with the standard petrol block in it. He has come up with the idea of fitting a supercharger?! Does anyone know much about this? He's looking at an Eaton E45, which apparently you can get cheap(ish) of Eblag as they were fiited as standard to Mini Cooopers but most buyers/new owners go for the factory/dealer pereformance upgrade with a bigger one. Hence they sell the almost new ones off cheap.

I vagauely remember eading a magazine article a while back about someone who did this, but seeing as his truck will be sat in my workshop whilst he does this - if he does this, I want to know whats going on etc!

Cheers

James

Allards built a 2.25 with a Shorrock (vane) supercharger back in the 70's, it was fitted in a lightweight and was used quite successfully in stage rallies.

I used to have the book on turbo/supercharging by Allards but lent it to someone <_<

I think it used a SU in a suck through system, there's a fair bit of custom machining to be done, also need to work out pulley ratios so you get the boost you want when you want it, I don't think it is a cheap way to get HP, not in this country anyway, and not as a one off. Theres a few good books on the subject and I'd read one before buying anything.

Like muddy says it was in LRO not long back, it was an E45 blowing through an SU, no intercooler IIRC. But all that effort for 113bhp?! :ph34r: What a waste of money - may aswel drop a TDI in there :rolleyes: My friend has a mildly breathed on 2.25 in a series3 sat in the field that was good for 95bhp before the dizzy caught fire (unrelated)

Lewis :)

^^^ What he said. Do people still use those nasty carburettor thingies then? :huh:

For an easy boost to the 2.25 lump why not just fuel inject it and remove the dizzy, those lumps are massively de-tuned as stock. You'd probably see quite a few HP gain just by renewing all the worn out bits too... :rolleyes:

Or... "Why bother?" and bolt in something 40 years newer from a Rover, BMW, Jag, Ford... a Zetec lump would probably double the power, weigh less and be more reliable and there's one or two out there.

As I recall, there's a write-up about a supercharged 2.25 on the ACR website - too lazy to check. Don't think Roland built it, I believe somebody was running it in Scottish Hillrallies ?

In any event, I had an interesting chat with a chap in my Connecticut offroading club which is very Jeep-heavy and this chap is a flatfender guru (Series anorak in our parlance). In any event, we got to talking and he was of the view that the 2.25 would make a good candidate for a mild supercharger. Apparently he had done a fair few of the Buick odd-fire V6s and some of the older Jeep four cylinder engines and was convinced that it would work well on a 2.25. Now, you wouldn't do this just for the power of course. The ACR stuff will get you in the 115 hp range without a blower and is a bit more tried an tested. But for something different, a wee little blower on a 2.25 would be very cool indeed. Let us know if he pursues it.

• 3 months later...

I was thinking about this too. I have been given a small supercharger (not much bigger than an alternator), it has a bore size of 1 1/4 inch. Do you think it is too small for the series 2.25? I wouldnt be doing it for massive power gains, more just to say "look at me i have a supercharger!"

post-3661-1179912998_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...