V8 Transplant....

A good friend of mine would like to put a V8 3.5 (with Carbs) into his 90.

It's a C reg...

It currently has a 2.25 Petrol engine installed.

It's got a 5-speed gearbox and the reverse gear is away from the driver, past 1st gear, and forward. (We didn't get under because of the snow and wet circumstances...)

When dry we will try and extablish the gearbox type.

The gearbox looks to be set further back than my V8 110.

The engine is much further back than mine too.. Bellhousing is incredibly short from what we could see...

We can see that new engine mounts will be required, new exhaust system, we are also guessing new props as it could mean a total move of transfer box as well unless you peeps can tell us if they are always located in the same place...

What we could do with knowing is what else will we have to change?

Is it probable we will need another gearbox ?

Props?

Re-work gearbox tunnel in the cab ?

Can someone start the list of probables and actuals please.

A few pictures attached.. Sorry, not likely to be much help but it was wet and cold....

post-1475-1171057310_thumb.jpg

post-1475-1171057325_thumb.jpg

post-1475-1171057453_thumb.jpg

post-1475-1171057470_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance.....

A V8 will bolt to a V8 LT77 (eg out of a RRC) but it will not bolt directly to a 4 pot LT77, unless you use a series V8 conversion kit.

It is obviously the 4 pot LT77 that your mate has in his 2.25. As you have noticed the bell housing us much shorter (hence engine position) and will not mate to a V8, also the input shaft is not only a different length but the end is a differend diameter. So you'd need to rebuild the box with a new input shaft and not just change the bell housing.

You really need to source a different gearbox, ie a V8 one, either LT77(V8 fitment) or better still LT85 or R380 (V8 fitment) or maybe an auto ZF or TF727.

Depending on what gearbox, gearbox mounts you use you may have to change props. Basically LR fitted two sets of props to 90's. IIRC one set fits 300TDi/TD5/V8 and the other fits 2.5NAD/200TDi, but I may be wrong on the exact fitment details.

How much work the tunnel needs will depend on the gearbox you fit. You will note the tunnel over your LT85 is much bigger than the tunnel over his LT77.

You may find it cheapest to buy a rough early 110 station wagon with a rotten chassis to raid for the engine and box, oh and the tunnel, hand brake brackets etc etc, that way you can park the two side by side and see exactly which bits need to be modified/replaced :)

Otherwise a LT95 four speed santana g/box from an earlyish range rover might be a nice solution - they are about the most robust manual main g/box fitted to a Land Rover, and luckily for you are about as unfashionable as a Husky winch - the guy who gave us two of them says he cant even give them away (I did feel the need to point out his obvious contradiction, but as he was giving us free g/box's I managed to restrain myself). Add an overdrive and you've got a strong reliable cog shifter for peanuts ;)

As a worshipper of REAL engines that run on gods fuel I should make the obvious point that your friend is clearly delusional, probably since hearing how much you spend on petrol, and he should be fitting a nice rattley lumpy diseasel, and then he wouldnt need to change his g/box, could drive through water light rain, pass a filling station, and help the environment by leaving a nice protective film of diesel soot over everything :ph34r::lol:

Lewis :)

I understand your concerns Lewis but I don't think he will be converted... He thinks like a few on here that Gods fuel is Petrol.... He's got a 911, Ceyenne and a Westfield on steroids pushing just over 450BHP...

So a lil ole 3.5 on carbs pushing his 90 isn't going to be blisterinly fast, but a darn sight better then the 2.25 he's got right now ! ;)

He's only got it for occasional off road experiences, no wading as such and it'll probably be used for hauling the Westie to race meets instead of the Cayenne to save a few quid on fuel... :)

I'll pass on your ideas for a 4 gear box and overdrive though.. Could be a reasonable combination for hauling the trailer...

I understand your concerns Lewis but I don't think he will be converted... He thinks like a few on here that Gods fuel is Petrol.... He's got a 911, Ceyenne and a Westfield on steroids pushing just over 450BHP...

He's only got it for occasional off road experiences, no wading as such and it'll probably be used for hauling the Westie to race meets instead of the Cayenne to save a few quid on fuel... :)

PMSL, one of my friends (who ocaisionally posts here) runs a 400(ish)bhp Mitsu Evo 9 GT and is a proper heathen petrol-head, and even he will readily admit that my tdi is far beter than my mates 3.9V8 for offroading :lol:

Re - the four speed - the overdrives make them whine a fair bit, but they will still last the lifetime of the car, just something to be aware of if your man is hoping for a quiet more car-like driving experience :huh:

Thanks Lewis..

I don't think he's planning on doing great mileage, unless of course he does start using it to pull his Westie. I'll direct him to this thread.

Re off-road.. I'll agree that the TDi walks it's way through problems far easier and is much more capable when dealing with water, splashes, light mist etc.

He's likes petrol, likes the noise and wants to just get something better than the 2.25 he's got now...

I converted mine when I built it way back in 2001……………..

Yes, a V8 bolts up to an LT77 via a conversion plate if using the diesel bell housing, but to do the job properly you will need the longer gearbox input shaft and the V8 Bell housing which is a straight nut n bolt job. Doing it this way means that the engine / gearbox assembly is in the correct position thus allowing the use of standard props & exhaust system etc.

If a conversion kit is used to bolt the V8 up to the existing diesel bell housing then the engine sits a long way back and the manifolds foul the bulkhead, which needs to be cut n shut. Somewhere here I have the Milner cut n shut instructions ! This has always struck me as being a bodge. Another problem with this method is that the oil filter will foul the front axle, so a remote filter will be required. If you move the gearbox and transfer box forward then you run in problems with having to acquire non standard props etc…………

Best way is to acquire an engine and long stick LT77 box from a RR of mid 80’s vintage. The short stick box can be used but you need to change the remote housing for the defender version……..IIRC this also means the gearbox rear housing will need changing.

:D

Ian

..but to do the job properly you will need the longer gearbox input shaft and the V8 Bell housing which is a straight nut n bolt job. Doing it this way means that the engine / gearbox assembly is in the correct position thus allowing the use of standard props & exhaust system etc.

Ian,

Are you suggesting that the input shaft can be changed on the LT77 without stripping the gearbox ?

I can understand the bellhousing being a straight nuts and bolts job....

Would the V8 bell housing fit into the current gearbox tunnel without modification to the floor of the car ?

Others have talked of a conversion kit.. Anyone got detail on this ? Part number or place selling them ?

To replace the input shaft you will need the gear box stripped, probably easier to source a long stick V8 box from an early RRC as BBC suggests, or an LT85 from a factory Defender V8 like Mark90 suggests (LT85 being the stronger option).

The V8 bellhousing is longer so will easily clear the current tunnel - the 4cyl bellhousings are the shortest widest housings so need the most clearance for the tunnel. Using the V8 box neccessitates moving the engine mounts forward, and is more of a proper job - as opposed to the conversion kit being a bodge

For conversion kits google Milner,

HTH

Lewis :)

Guys, new on here and Neils friend about to do the conversion to my 90.

Some great info that I am sure will help. Sounds like getting the V8 gearbox and welding a new set of mounts to the chassis is the best method to me.

Looked up Milner for the conversion parts but could not see them on their website?

Cheers for the info.

No its not Milner any more …………… they sold out the conversion stuff to performance & conversion or something like that …………… I will look it up later and post a link.

Yes, definitely the best way is to use a Gearbox from either a RRC or an early V8 disco. Doing this way, not only does the engine end up in the right place, but you also save yourself grief by being able to use the standard off the self components for, top hose, bottom hose, standard exhaust and V8 fan cowl (but most folk use electric fans). Also the oil filter ends up in the correct place so you save another £150 or so by not needing a sandwich plate and remote. Also doing it this way means that you can get the heads off without taking the engine out. :rolleyes:

If the existing engine is a 2.5 asthmatic, then you can use the Rad (but make sure its in good nick) ……… just remove the blanking plug below the air bleed to fit the second small hose. If you are using the 3.5EFI then the 2.5 throttle cable fits. Then engine mountings can either be made, or you can get then from Designa chassis for £15. Due to the various LR incarnations of power steering pumps ……… the connections to the pump and steering box is easiest done by getting some hydraulic hoses made up with the correct ends ……. about £20.

Ian

No its not Milner any more …………… they sold out the conversion stuff to performance & conversion or something like that …………… I will look it up later and post a link.

Yes, definitely the best way is to use a Gearbox from either a RRC or an early V8 disco.

Ian

.....or a V8 90??

Any info on the place that milner sold out to much appreciated too.

Some more info for you guys.

If you use the 5spd LT77 gearbox from a circa. '85 R/R (the gear stick configuration is the same as a 90) there are no tunnel modifications needed when you use the existing 90 gearbox mounts. Propshafts remain the same as well.

Fit the R/R V8 engine mounts 1.5" further back than fitted on the R/R and the engine/ gearbox will drop in.

Use the V8 and LT85 from a V8 90/110 and you'll need the engine mounts, gearbox mounts, floor plates, transmission tunnel and seat box from the donor vehicle but the engine mounts will be in the right place!

Unless you want to cut the seatbox etc. don't use the "short stick" gearbox from Disco's and later R/R's as the gearstick ends up just at the front edge of the seat box.

I've done several V8 conversions for friends so feel free to ask questions

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick update.

Now have the V8 engine in the garage all ready to be fitted (Cheers V8 Freak for that)

Got a V8 version LT77 so should bolt straight it too.

2.25 and current box was whipped out this afternoon, so got some cleaning and start refitting tomorow.

OK, most of the cleaning done today.

Quick question. The RR Classic LT77 that I got has a slightly different bent and shorter shifter for the HI/LO ratio. Anyone know if this will still fit or foul the bodywork where the middle seat is?

I can change them over but think I can get away with it.

Quick update for you....

Some pictures taken earlier today.... The guys have been busy this weekend...

Old engine, gearbox and transfer box out...

post-1475-1173645703_thumb.jpg

Cutting off the old engine mounts...

post-1475-1173645517_thumb.jpg

post-1475-1173645553_thumb.jpg

post-1475-1173645642_thumb.jpg

Some floor repair work took place too...

New mounts, a bit of measuring up and a bit of welding to do... Then replacements will be dropped in.

Well done so far Stuart...