V8 Transplant....

Well, all on plan for the conversion to take place this Weekend.

Got the gearbox, new clutch and new engine mounts to weld on from Designa Chassis (ouch at 52 pounds!). Could have fabricated some but just went for the lazy and easy route!

New water hoses for the V8 arriving in the morning with the flywheel bolts and in she goes. Looking forward to actually having some grunt under the bonnet.

Thanks for all the help and info to date. Its been invaluable and put to good use!

Quick update.

Now have the V8 engine in the garage all ready to be fitted (Cheers V8 Freak for that)

Got a V8 version LT77 so should bolt straight it too.

2.25 and current box was whipped out this afternoon, so got some cleaning and start refitting tomorow.

Any news on the transfer stick as I am about to do the same job?

Cheers,

Martin

Any news on the transfer stick as I am about to do the same job?

Cheers,

Martin

Will let you know tomorow as I am going to throw it all in!.............Well thats the plan anyway...........

Like the A Team says...........I love it when a plan comes together.....................somehow I think it will be scuppered though by something going wrong...........or my engine mounts not turning up.

Apologies slightly OT, but do you know the official colour of Green that your Landy is. I have the same colour and like you am doing a V8 transplant with auto. There are some areas that need touching up (bulkhead!) and haven't been able to find out the definate colour.

You are progressing well, keep it up. I have just got old motor out, so am at clean up stage (and waiting for skin to regrow on my knuckles!)

Al.

Apologies slightly OT, but do you know the official colour of Green that your Landy is. I have the same colour and like you am doing a V8 transplant with auto. There are some areas that need touching up (bulkhead!) and haven't been able to find out the definate colour.

You are progressing well, keep it up. I have just got old motor out, so am at clean up stage (and waiting for skin to regrow on my knuckles!)

Al.

HI Al, to be honest I am not 1005 sure what the official colour is? Ive heard it referred to as Marine Green before by others but dont kow if thats the case.

I will stick a separate post up to get the answer as I am sure the boys in here will know.

OK, Update.

The new engine and gearbox are in! Finally.

Had a couple of issues like trying to find a set of bolts for the clutch to flywheel on a Saturday afternoon!!!! Found a set in the end though.

The other issue I came across was changing the handbrake assembly over from the 2.25 LT77 to the V8 LT77 the V8 version does not have 2 of the bolt holes that the assembly uses. I had to drill some extra holes in the assembly and use 2 of the spare holes that the V8 box. Not a problem, just something that I did not foresee.

Anyway......will weld the new mounts on properly now its all lined up in the mornning and then refit all the other bits.

Decided to get a 300TDi exhaust system, and will mate that to the 3.9 downpipes and V section as well (as suggested on my exhaust thread), so that should be good fun as will need to make all the mounts too!!! Will take some pictures and put it in the technical area shouls all go well.

Couple of pictures from today.

IMG00118_small.JPG

IMG00119_small.JPG

Quick Sunday update. Gearbox is all bolted up in place and props back on so good progress there.................

Work stopped now due to problems.

Main one being having no engine mounts............BIG THANKS to Designa Chassis for a great let down. Ordered them Wednesday and never turned up after being told they would post that afternoon. :angry2:

Looked at re-using the 2.25 ones I cut off but would need quite a bit of extra fab work to get them right, and looking at the V8 exhaust clearances each side it obviously needs to be spot on.

I really want to finalise the engine position before tackling the exhaust (See my other post) problem, so will wait til the ones I ordered turn up tomorow hopefully.

Its also very cold and windy today..................not to mention mothers day.

Looks like the conversion will roll over to another weekend now.

OK, well its all going a bit more to plan now the engine mounts finally turned up.

Got the full stainless and headers today too from Rimmer Bros. A very very nice piece of kit and fitted pretty well. Its a bit bling to be honest for a 20 year land rover as the centre box is fully polished!!!! Quite a small single box too so should sound nice I hope.

Here is a picture of the headers and the centre box next to the wheel to give an idea on size (sunglasses required due to shine)

Headers_small.JPG

Centre%20Box_small.JPG

Ive had to do a couple of mods today to get everything fitted up. Had to make a small adjustment to the front cross member to give me enough clearance from the exhaust on the passenger side. Also had to move the brake pipe distribution block as that fouls the exhaust on the drivers side.

Other than that, I need to get a longer power cable to reach over the bellhousing to the other side for the V8 starter and then its a case of last bit of wiring, rear exhaust mount, fill her up with water, fit the new throttle cable (Thanks V8 freak again) and then we should have a runner tomorow.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Also had to move the brake pipe distribution block as that fouls the exhaust on the drivers side.

I had to do the same...

red29.jpg

I found taking the mouting plate off and flattening the bend out of it gave me enough clearance.

Looking good. That exhaust will dull down a bit once it's in use.

Well, another update but this one is the best.

Its running!!! Finally!

Got a few things to tidy up tomorow like how to get the power steering pipes to fit (think I will just get some new ones made up).

The stainless exhaust sounds lovely and sure it will get louder with a bit of mileage too.

Need to get a couple of electric fans too and will change the gear/transfer box oil before using it.

I need a power steering pulley too so will stick a wanted ad in the classifieds to see if someone has one laying about.

Cheers for all the ideas and help I got off here.

Stu

Need to get a couple of electric fans too and will change the gear/transfer box oil before using it.

A pair of mondeo twin fans in a cowling like this...

6e36_1.JPG

fit's a 90 rad quite well, and shifts a fair bit of air.

Both me and Bish have used these and they keep a V8 cool no problem, but you doo have to watch for small children being sucked into the grill.

A pair of mondeo twin fans in a cowling like this...

6e36_1.JPG

fit's a 90 rad quite well, and shifts a fair bit of air.

Both me and Bish have used these and they keep a V8 cool no problem, but you doo have to watch for small children being sucked into the grill.

Yep they look like what I need! Will go searching for some on ebay!

I popped down this evening and it was great to hear the old engine fire up again...

The new exhaust system sounds really good and a lovely rasp at the tailpipe when revved...

Stu has worked really hard to get this far but has a little way to go... With the V8 installed the front sits high so they are going for new springs and dampers all round... Parking brake need a little attention according to Stu, fans need to go in, PAS fittengs as Stu said and then refitting some of the front panels...

I'm really looking forward to seeing it on the road....

Well done that man....

Well took it for a nice test drive today and its so nice with the V8 compared to the gutless 2.25.

The sounds is great too. Really pleased with the exhaust system.

Got a pair of rad fans today that I will hook up in the week.

Just need to get the power steering pipes sorted and its all done.

The front end does seem much lighter and sits higher now. Shows up the tired rear springs even more so will be going for a new set of springs and dampers next I think.

Need to get out and get it muddy now!

Stu