V8 oil pressure gauge

OK, possibly been asked lots of times but I couldn't find it in the search, so...

I'm thinking that having an oil pressure gauge rather than just a light is A Good Thing.

I have room in the dash for a standard small dial and obviously I currently have access to run pretty much anything pretty much anywhere.

My questions are simple. Does anyone have a recommendation for something that looks reasonably OEM, and where's the best place to take a feed from? (Is the feed off an electric switch or is there a pressurised tube going to the back of the gauge, which sounds terrifying)

I used VDO Vision stuff with an electrical feed to the gauge.

Gauge is VDO350-010-008K which looks almost 'stock'. I fitted it where the clock normally goes.

The sender is VDO360-081-029-001C which is 0-5 Bar and uses a single wire with earth return with a M10x1 thread

Also you need something like this LMA010M This is a T piece short type 1/8"NPT each end with M10 Tee

In 2020 that cost me £90 and I bought it from Demon Tweeks. This reads in Bar, which is what I wanted but there will be PSI stuff I'm sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

I used VDO Vision stuff with an electrical feed to the gauge.

Gauge is VDO350-010-008K which looks almost 'stock'. I fitted it where the clock normally goes.

The sender is VDO360-081-029-001C which is 0-5 Bar and uses a single wire with earth return with a M10x1 thread

Also you need something like this LMA010M This is a T piece short type 1/8"NPT each end with M10 Tee

In 2020 that cost me £90 and I bought it from Demon Tweeks. This reads in Bar, which is what I wanted but there will be PSI stuff I'm sure.

Knockout. thanks

The VDO Vision range compare visually to the TD5 VDO gauges -

VDO 350-010-008K

vdo-cockpit-vision-engine-oil-pressure-5

Pre-Td5, there are Genuine oil pressure gauges for 4-Cylinder - PRC7319

49530-prc7319-oil-pressure-gauge-90110-a

And PRC7320 for V8 -

65123-prc7320-oil-pressure-gauge-90-110-

• Thanks 1

I did the terrifying on my 200Tdi and drilled a hole in the oil filter carrier, used a pressurised tube and a ordinary pressure gauge.

Since I am scared of the pressurised tube too, I used a steel braided brake line I had left to be save.

The hole goes right into the blind screw, which is at the oil filter carrier and connecting the back path of the oil filter to all the bearings.

OI000006.thumb.jpg.18a3e824b6b3e0556643d4f02682883e.jpgWP_20180201_14_56_00_Pro.thumb.jpg.4ddee96a801cdafe7cf3d1931139d562.jpg

Edited by Sigi_H

1 hour ago, Sigi_H said:

I did the terrifying on my 200Tdi and drilled a hole in the oil filter carrier, used a pressurised tube and a ordinary pressure gauge.

Since I am scared of the pressurised tube too, I used a steel braided brake line I had left to be save.

The hole goes right into the blind screw, which is at the oil filter carrier and connecting the back path of the oil filter to all the bearings.

Brave, but makes good engineering sense.

It appears I have somewhere already to attach the take-off, so I am going with a VDO unit with an electric sender...

2 hours ago, Junglie said:

so I am going with a VDO unit with an electric sender...

If you are willing to do a bit of research, you can maybe find a gauge with a low pressure warning. I have a vague memory that it's an option on VDO but if it is, I don't know why I didn't select it. A warning lamp triggered at low pressure would be good, otherwise you really do need to try to watch the gauge.

2 hours ago, Peaklander said:

If you are willing to do a bit of research, you can maybe find a gauge with a low pressure warning. I have a vague memory that it's an option on VDO but if it is, I don't know why I didn't select it. A warning lamp triggered at low pressure would be good, otherwise you really do need to try to watch the gauge.

Agreed. It did appear to be an option but I couldn't work out how. I guess I'll just use the existing warning light - I believe there is an additional takeoff I can use already.

Years ago I had several Minis, an 1100, Wolseley 1500 and Triumph Herald and Vitesse. All of them had direct oil fed pressure lines to the gauge, and I never had a peep of trouble from any of them because of it. Plenty of other problems though.  

3 hours ago, smallfry said:

Years ago I had several Minis, an 1100, Wolseley 1500 and Triumph Herald and Vitesse. All of them had direct oil fed pressure lines to the gauge, and I never had a peep of trouble from any of them because of it. Plenty of other problems though.  

I'm working on the basis that if I remove one thing that could go horribly wrong...it's one thing less that will go horribly wrong.

I may be delusional. This is, after all, a Land Rover.

• Haha 1

On 8/24/2024 at 7:55 PM, muddy said:

One of my favourite mods is a cheap buzzer wired in parallel with the oil pressure light.

Can you get cheap buzzers that loud? 

;)

One can change the pressure warning light in the dashbord with a blinking LED. They are made for 12 V, can be changed directly (little work) and are a lot more recognisable than the constant warning lights.

https://rb.gy/uo7t8a  (ebay UK)

A buzzer is good as well, but in my eyes only with a timer, that disables it in the first 30 seconds. This will need a little bit more understanding of electrics too.

Edited by Sigi_H

I personally never found it a problem and very much like how people who mess with the keys soon switch it back off. you could just wire it through a push the break switch if you found it upsets too many people.

I wonder if you wired the buzzer to the alternator warning light and the oil pressure switch it would only buzz when the engine was running and the oil pressure dropped.

You can also get oil pressure switches that come on at different pressures, a lot of them are very much "oh carp!" low pressure (below 10psi).

Interestingly the LS came with a normally-open oil pressure switch, so it was only "on" when there WAS oil pressure, that caused us a moment's concern!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2024 at 1:19 PM, Sigi_H said:

One can change the pressure warning light in the dashbord with a blinking LED. They are made for 12 V, can be changed directly (little work) and are a lot more recognisable than the constant warning lights.

https://rb.gy/uo7t8a  (ebay UK)

A buzzer is good as well, but in my eyes only with a timer, that disables it in the first 30 seconds. This will need a little bit more understanding of electrics too.

That's a great idea and probably well within my limited capabilites. Thanks.