Rear Crossmember Rust Prevention

Urgh no, ordinary black enamel doesn't work. You need some POR15 from Frost Auto Restoration in Rochdale. This amazing paint is based on super glue technology and only goes off in the presence of moisture, so it just loves rust. It's not cheap but it works, just paint it on and then give it a good coating of Waxolyle diluted with kerosine. I did my chassis two years ago and there's no rust despite two salty winters of daily driving.

One point - do heed the warning on the tin not to re-close it after opening, because any paint on the rim will set solid in atmospheric moisture and you'll have to destroy the lid to get it off next time, as I found to my cost! Find a plastic or glass container for any unused paint.

I think the web address is www.frost.co.uk or .com, Google will find it for you.

yep have tried the POR-15 with thier Chassis black paint on top and that doesnt seem to last either, its managed about 2yrs on mine and rust is coming through now. i was thinking of undercoating with POR15 then hammerite the top.(after testing the two dont react with each other)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

The rear x member is designed to rust, landrover just got it so wrong. It's strength is in the design not the material. I have cured mine and it will never rot in my lifetime.

Solution is : Take one paddys moped and cut old x member off clean about 3 inches in along both chassis rails and discard.

Make a new one from 5 inch u channel which has a wall thickness of 6 mm but make it so that it goes round the rear

quarters to offer them good protection. You will need to trim the bottom of the sides of your panels.

Prepare the chassis by fitting reinforcing plates to each side of both chassis rails, fitting closure panels on the open

chassis ends and fitting 2 spacers between the sides of each rail to prevent crushing when you bolt the new x member

on. You will also require plates welded to the top of your new x member to which to fix the rear tub.

I will post some pictures when I find out how to on this new forum.

Use bumper irons

• 3 years later...

I was told if you put cling film over the lid on POR15, you can reopen it. I put the cling film actually on the surface of the paint and let the ends stick out through the lid. It works for me up to a point, but the paint does goes off after a while anyway, but at least its not immediate. I'd also recommend buying 2 colours and using them for alternate coats then you can see if you've missed a bit. Black on black is hard to see where you've been, and I believe you need at least 3 coats of solvent based paint to be sure that pinholes don't align. I think also you're supposed to recoat within a certain time. I am investigating the 2-pack epoxy from www.rust.co.uk which I think is Jotan Jotamastic smart pack repackaged, but all the Jotan stuff looks very good. If you use POR15 make sure you use gloves and do get the thinners as well to get it off your face - otherwise it has to wear off!

Nigel

• 2 months later...
Without taking the body off, how do you get at to rustproof the top of the x member?

Martin

Hi Martin.

It's fairly straight forward to get to the top of the rear cross-member.

I think you can do it without even getting underneath.

A good(ish) Trolly jack, two (or better) four axle stands, a modest compressor, a long blow gun, a good light, a sandvick scraper or two, a Machine Mart paraffin gun (For thinned down Waxoil), a baked beans tin, with a 20mm paint brush, for waxoil daubing, and the ability to crawl around under your Landy full of enthusiasm to kill rust werever you find it, will take you a long way.

Hope that helps.

Howard.

Born again Waxoilist.

2x300TdiDef.