Understand the polishing bit, never heard of swirling the exhausts

Also this might not be necessary as I'm fitting a 1uz

Regards Stephen

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Understand the polishing bit, never heard of swirling the exhausts

Also this might not be necessary as I'm fitting a 1uz

Regards Stephen

On Petrol's you polish the exhausts and swirl the inlet and visa versa on Diesels. It helps improve the mix and improve the exhaust flow on both types

1UZ is a nice engine 

5 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

On Petrol's you polish the exhausts and swirl the inlet and visa versa on Diesels. It helps improve the mix and improve the exhaust flow on both types

1UZ is a nice engine 

Is that true for supercharged petrol engines too? My simplistic understanding on supercharged engines such is common on diesels the main thing is to get the exhaust flow out at quickly as possible with no back pressure unlike in NA petrol engines which require a bit of back pressure to setup scavenging in the plenums.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed Poore said:

Is that true for supercharged petrol engines too? My simplistic understanding on supercharged engines such is common on diesels the main thing is to get the exhaust flow out at quickly as possible with no back pressure unlike in NA petrol engines which require a bit of back pressure to setup scavenging in the plenums.

I'm reading up on the new generation of superchargers that the Muricans are developing. Some quite interesting stuff is being brought onto the market. For example, electronically managed engines with a supercharger don't want too much flow, it has to be balanced, whereas in the good old days you wanted the most flow physically possible then jetted the carbs to suit

2 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

Pretty much.  That was why old petrols and NA diesels had relatively narrow exhausts, and running a bigger exhaust would lead to reduced torque.  It was about increasing velocity through a smaller bore to reduce pressure, using the exhaust as a Venturi tube to encourage scavenging of the cylinders.  Turbo chargers will use the combination of pressure and kinetic energy a bit more flexibly, but once that energy is expended in the turbine, you want a larger exhaust to handle the greater mass of gas (compared to normally aspirated) and you don’t want any more restrictions as the energy left in the gas is too low to get any scavenging effect from.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2024 at 3:13 PM, Stellaghost said:

Valves ground in and fitted to head, just need to finish nights so I can crack on

Bit monotonous this bit

20240914_021559.thumb.jpg.2c1049b98974395e2babc4fcd3c0f71d.jpg

valves looking good

20240914_021627.thumb.jpg.94602db246c3a7f21fbc2961a15fe91e.jpg

regards Stephen 

Count yourself lucky you only have 8 valves! I've rebuilt V12 engines in the past with 4 valves per cylinder! I had to lap in 48 valves, luckily it had hydraulic lifters, so I didn't need to adjust all the tappets!

Steve

1 hour ago, steve200TDi said:

Count yourself lucky you only have 8 valves! I've rebuilt V12 engines in the past with 4 valves per cylinder! I had to lap in 48 valves, luckily it had hydraulic lifters, so I didn't need to adjust all the tappets!

Steve

Could be worse, could be shim/bucket tappets..... nightmare.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, steve200TDi said:

Yes, that's also a nightmare with torqueing the cam down measuring and then removing the cam and swapping out the tappets!

...and trying to work out which tappets can be used elsewhere and how many shims you need to buy from the main stealers......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steve200TDi said:

Steve

[4 Yorkshiremen mode]

You were lucky.........

[/4 Yorkshiremen]

7 hours ago, steve200TDi said:

Steve

Ahh, but then I would build a valve lapping machine to make the job less onerous........

Regards Stephen 

• Haha 1