Adventure Overland show - anyone going?

On 9/6/2024 at 6:44 PM, Peaklander said:

I would have gone but I’m laid-up. I like the show and as it’s the last to be held in that format, I’m a bit sad to be missing it.

Have they announced any future plans? I've always wanted to get up there. This time house stuff is getting in the way :( 

There have been mutterings of this is the last in this format. Which implies he might do something else. I think just booking out a large friendly campsite where you have to pay to camp and don't bother with day visitors could work.

Mie

• Like 3

I enjoyed the show, first time there. Met a few members, missed others. enjoyed chats with lots of other Land Rover owners. got a lot of inspiration from some of the builds. ( Those in the campsites not in the sales area ). Too much bling and carpeted walls for my liking. Had a chat with the Ibex dealer, Iconic trucks but out of my price range. Lots of overpriced supposed "Campers" for sale. If they have another show I would likely go again.

• Like 2

It was the first time I've been for years. It's a good weekend but you need to go with the mind set that it's a social camping weekend with some trade stands. If I'm honest there was more trade than I expected. I would happily go again if it happens. I think there is room for improvement, I'm not sure the venue is the right choice as it doesn't really say overland.

Mike

I spoke to Ash and Tom about this being the last show. They said yes, although they run a show in Spain. Later I remember Tom telling me, back in 2014 that he had signed a ten year deal with the racecourse. I'm wondering if there are issues with signing a new contract, especially due to residents of the nearby housing development being annoyed by idiots have 'sound off's ' at 0200 and folk who simply cant manage more than two halves of cider getting into loud fist swinging at 0400

We hadn't been up for a few years as we had gotten sick of the idiots, but were invited back to be in the Leg Ends* area (for free) , so a portion of the Beardy Overlanders met up at the show on Friday. Obviously none of the marshals new where the Leg Ends area was, few had even heard about it. Once we found it, it was a nightmare to access/egress and was too small for those invited, so we nicked some of the huge area kept clear for Neil Ensor's (4x4by) wedding party.

We were lucky to have been put right opposite the Tiny P&nis Van Club - imaging Transits with loads of LED's and Musical Horns. Even the Security Guards were sick of them by Friday evening and there generous entertainment carried on until Midnight. Needless to say, some of the Leg Ends left early because of this. I had a small heated exchange with the club member with the megaphone - explaining that I wasn't going to lubricate it when I shoved it up his back passage wide end first.

On the positive side, the Leg Ends meets was brilliant. So many friends I haven't seen in ages. Really enjoyable, with a few tears shed for those no longer around.

Really nice to see Fridge and Fibreglass Mike, and there life partners - shame I never got to visit their camp. Actually, shame we didn't just camp with them.

So many excellent food stands - I was in heaven.

Almost none of the usual bolt on tat 'Off Road' Traders, although Terrafirma where there

Loads of 'bought cheap on Temu , sold expensive to people who can't use the internet' stuff. My favourite being the £70 2Kw diesel heater in a cheap Pelicase copy, that the stand owner would do me a deal for at £300!

Lots of electrical stuff to get ideas from

Some amazing Van conversions, both for sale and in the camping area, as well as loads of expensive and massively overrated big trucks.

All in all it was a pleasant weekend, slightly marred by idiots. So like Belvoir without the thieving scum

• Like 1

On 9/13/2024 at 1:07 PM, Peaklander said:

I think they are turning it into a joint show with camper vans. It will perhaps move away from the original expedition focus.

That was four years ago, then last year there was a big falling out with the VW boys

4 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

I spoke to Ash and Tom about this being the last show. They said yes, although they run a show in Spain. Later I remember Tom telling me, back in 2014 that he had signed a ten year deal with the racecourse. I'm wondering if there are issues with signing a new contract, especially due to residents of the nearby housing development being annoyed by idiots have 'sound off's ' at 0200 and folk who simply cant manage more than two halves of cider getting into loud fist swinging at 0400

We hadn't been up for a few years as we had gotten sick of the idiots, but were invited back to be in the Leg Ends* area (for free) , so a portion of the Beardy Overlanders met up at the show on Friday. Obviously none of the marshals new where the Leg Ends area was, few had even heard about it. Once we found it, it was a nightmare to access/egress and was too small for those invited, so we nicked some of the huge area kept clear for Neil Ensor's (4x4by) wedding party.

We were lucky to have been put right opposite the Tiny P&nis Van Club - imaging Transits with loads of LED's and Musical Horns. Even the Security Guards were sick of them by Friday evening and there generous entertainment carried on until Midnight. Needless to say, some of the Leg Ends left early because of this. I had a small heated exchange with the club member with the megaphone - explaining that I wasn't going to lubricate it when I shoved it up his back passage wide end first.

On the positive side, the Leg Ends meets was brilliant. So many friends I haven't seen in ages. Really enjoyable, with a few tears shed for those no longer around.

Really nice to see Fridge and Fibreglass Mike, and there life partners - shame I never got to visit their camp. Actually, shame we didn't just camp with them.

So many excellent food stands - I was in heaven.

Almost none of the usual bolt on tat 'Off Road' Traders, although Terrafirma where there

Loads of 'bought cheap on Temu , sold expensive to people who can't use the internet' stuff. My favourite being the £70 2Kw diesel heater in a cheap Pelicase copy, that the stand owner would do me a deal for at £300!

Lots of electrical stuff to get ideas from

Some amazing Van conversions, both for sale and in the camping area, as well as loads of expensive and massively overrated big trucks.

All in all it was a pleasant weekend, slightly marred by idiots. So like Belvoir without the thieving scum

Obviously your group would of been more than welcome with us. It's interesting that because we were down the other end we had two fairly quite nights just nice fire and good friends.

I hope something else comes of it, I know several of our club are looking at Germany for next year, not sure I can stretch that far especially as it's in term time.

Mike

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

I have to agree about the transits, I cannot understand why people want to add so many lights that serve no purpose to a vehicle. Unfortunately Nonimouse had left by the time We had some food from the Romanian outlet so didn't get to meet him. Maybe next time. We were lucky enough to be camping in the GAP area by the Grandstand so avoided a lot of the noise. I was hoping for some bargains at the Landy jumble but for the life of me I couldn't find it. As for camping for free one of our club members had their forward control on for free so those others of us forked out a small fortune to subsidies them. I appreciate that if there is nothing worth looking at people won't bother attending. The idea of a show that gives people the inspiration to enjoy overland travel on a budget and access areas off the tourist route I think is a great way to attract people, but these sort of shows seem to think people have very deep pockets and no sense of their own ability. Or maybe I'm just tight.

8 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

1 hour ago, ballcock said:

I have to agree about the transits, I cannot understand why people want to add so many lights that serve no purpose to a vehicle. Unfortunately Nonimouse had left by the time We had some food from the Romanian outlet so didn't get to meet him. Maybe next time. We were lucky enough to be camping in the GAP area by the Grandstand so avoided a lot of the noise. I was hoping for some bargains at the Landy jumble but for the life of me I couldn't find it. As for camping for free one of our club members had their forward control on for free so those others of us forked out a small fortune to subsidies them. I appreciate that if there is nothing worth looking at people won't bother attending. The idea of a show that gives people the inspiration to enjoy overland travel on a budget and access areas off the tourist route I think is a great way to attract people, but these sort of shows seem to think people have very deep pockets and no sense of their own ability. Or maybe I'm just tight.

Big Sausage Romanian food?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Obviously your group would of been more than welcome with us. It's interesting that because we were down the other end we had two fairly quite nights just nice fire and good friends.

I hope something else comes of it, I know several of our club are looking at Germany for next year, not sure I can stretch that far especially as it's in term time.

Mike

There's always Smoke on Stench