115mm “baby” angle grinder recomendatins

Hi all

for light work we use the Milwaukee battery units - really good …

for heavy grinding we use 240v 115mm stuff and have recently had a number die

a blue Bosch - didn’t last long  and not very powerful a Wickes special killed that pretty sharp ish and then today a nice dewalt died - has been abused horribly and has done well

so before I buy a new unit 

what recommendations are there out there !

must be

240v

115mm size

powedfull the cheap stuff just slows when used hard 

reliable 

fire away (a bit like my dewalt this afternoon) 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Hybrid_From_Hell said:

fire away (a bit like my dewalt this afternoon)

Assuming you create a lot of grinding dust, do you ever blow through the brushes to try to keep that end clean? I would assume that's a 'thing' to do but I stand corrected.

Just now, Peaklander said:

Assuming you create a lot of grinding dust, do you ever blow through the brushes to try to keep that end clean? I would assume that's a 'thing' to do but I stand corrected.

Must admit I've never blown any of my grinders out........

Regards Stephen

2 hours ago, Hybrid_From_Hell said:

This is why they're dying Nige - if you load them down they just overheat.

I got a dirt cheap one from OnBuy.com for 11 quid to use as the fettling grinder with a soft-pad to just live on the bench, opened the head up and jammed a finger full of decent grease in there and it runs much smoother than it did out of the box, we'll see how long it lasts.

• Like 2

I bought this dealt one over 5 years ago Click Me

Its still going although sounds rough as "Persons Resembling a Pink Starfish" ( imagine the hulk gargling broken bits of diff after a heavy night on the beers and an elephants leg smothered in chilli sauce) its done lots of wire brushing rust off old tractors so often ends up a nice brown shade, I can't really think of a good reason not to buy the same again when it dies.

1 hour ago, rusty_wingnut said:

I've had one of these under the bench for over 10years now, and it's bomb proof

Well obviously.........

It's not doing much sat under the bench for 10 years.........lol

Regards Stephen 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Hybrid_From_Hell said:

15 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

This is why they're dying Nige - if you load them down they just overheat.

I got a dirt cheap one from OnBuy.com for 11 quid to use as the fettling grinder with a soft-pad to just live on the bench, opened the head up and jammed a finger full of decent grease in there and it runs much smoother than it did out of the box, we'll see how long it lasts.

What fridge says. You've got to let a tool work in it's operating window. Push a milling cutter too fast or a lathe tool and you'll get damage - knackering a grinder is exactly the same.

Current increases as you load it up, meaning more heat, and at the same time you are slowing down the fan which is supposed to be cooling it -just go easy on them they last a long time.

Hmmmm...

A Kind pm suggested

"Buy the cheapest and most the powerful you can with as long a warranty if there is more than one to choose from, make sure you keep reciept and know where it is and then when it goes pop get another, I am currently on 3rd replacement "

It defo sounded like a plan .......................

https://www.argos.co.uk/basket £25 & 2 year warranty :D  ........... tick tock, tick tock ....:rofl:

I'd second @Stellaghost's recommendation of Hitachi, had a small one and 9" one for about 10 years now. They've taken some abuse in their time and still going strong. The 9" has also been used as a concrete cutting saw although I do blow it out after that.

14 hours ago, Hybrid_From_Hell said:

Hmmmm...

A Kind pm suggested

"Buy the cheapest and most the powerful you can with as long a warranty if there is more than one to choose from, make sure you keep reciept and know where it is and then when it goes pop get another, I am currently on 3rd replacement "

It defo sounded like a plan .......................

https://www.argos.co.uk/basket £25 & 2 year warranty :D  ........... tick tock, tick tock ....:rofl:

Probably the best advice. Buy cheap, preferably with a warranty of sorts and replace as required.

A mate does that, but he almost exclusively uses the small baby grinders, and treats them as consumables.

10 hours ago, JohnnoK said:

Probably the best advice. Buy cheap, preferably with a warranty of sorts and replace as required.

Depends how much it costs in time when they die. Doubt you're working so flat out that it's a big deal switching to a spare grinder (and at £25 having a spare is still cheaper than a good one), but you've still got the time involved in getting the dead one replaced - hopefully before the spare follows suit. You're running a business, so don't leave that out of your calculations.

• Like 1

The free replacement of cheapo ones would in theory require no commercial usage, but we know how convincing you can be Nige 😂

I've not used a plug-in angry grinder in years, but one factor I remember is the NVH levels are horrible on cheap machines, whereas say a Makita pro or De-Walt are much nicer to use. I used to get tingly fingers after 10 mins grinding, but my cordless Makita is no problem.

• Like 1

I used to follow the cheap ones and just keep returning them model (i actually had 3 the same and just kept returning them as they died using the latest receipt). However cheap grinders are nasty, noisy things usually with pretty terrible vibrations. I have a blue Bosch which i have had for many years now and i just cant kill it. It’s survived several car restoration projects - just dont buy the cheapest blue one Nige!).

I also now have an 18V cordless Makita one, which whilst i was initially a bit sceptical of, i actually now quite like and its a lot less hassle than getting the extension cord out etc. That said it does tend to stall when pushed very hard, but this is often actually due to the battery running low. I would buy another one if/when it dies 👍🏻 

• Like 2

Just a thought but is a grinder the right tool for the job?

The reason I say this is yesterday I was cutting off some excess bits of aluminium in a trailer yesterday. Started off with the Milwaukee grinder because it's the go to. Then I had some awkward to access welds that needed cutting to remove panels so broke out the die grinder. Slow work but it was working. I then found I could split the panels slightly and get a hacksaw blade down between them to access the weld. Deciding to up the game put the hacksaw blade into the pneumatic hacksaw and it was slow going but faster than before (and much less dangerous) even though the TPI of the blade wasn't ideal for aluminium. One bit I could access I attacked with the jigsaw and it simple went through it like butter. That got me thinking and I put a wood and nails plate into the multitool. Why didn't I do that sooner! Twice the amount of work done in a quarter of the time.

Now I'm not saying to use a multitool but it did get me thinking about using the right tool for the job. @Hybrid_From_Hell you haven't actually said what you're doing with it and people might be able to offer up different suggestions? E.g. I always invariably pick up the 4.5" M18 grinder and then get fed up and get either the 9" or petrol one and think why the hell didn't I take the time to either run the cable or start up the petrol one in the first place, makes life so much easier.