Two questions,😜

TD5 defenders 02 onwards 

do the rear doors have electric windows?

also are the front electric window switches illuminated at night? 
I’ve noticed 

switch is 6 pin

yet on eBay they selling switch with only four wires (see photo)

guessing up down live light? 

thank you.

AD2291F1-7176-4CC8-A9D4-A3A32D79591F.png

Edited by Green200tdi

Rear doors are manual only. Aftermarket electric kits are available.

Yes the switches are illuminated. Red/orange is the illumination feed.

The motor is wired to run both ways, and the switch applies power in both polarities when pushed for up/down.

Have a look at the 02-on wiring diagrams, it is a very simple system. 

The wiring for Defender window switch connectors uses 5 out of the 6 terminals in the connector.

Also, as the Defender switches switch the window motors directly (i.e. - no relays or ECUs in the circuit), the live feed, the outputs to the motor, and the switch's earth, are wired in 2.0mm² cable, with just the switch's illumination in 0.5mm² (Red/Orange) cable.

The switches in your eBay picture are from a Discovery-2, which use the same switches and connectors as the Defender - however, in the discovery-2 the (front) window motors are controlled by the BCU, so only use 4 out of the 6 terminals.

The switches are wired to switch BCU signal wires to earth on 0.5mm² cables - so, will have to be replaced with 2.0mm² cables to be used in a Defender (I can supply suitable new terminals, or new terminals pre crimped to 2.0mm² cables, if you want them?).

Looking at that eBay listing, £50 is a bit steep for two old D2 switches and connectors (which will need a bit more spending to make them suitable for use in a Defender)

I will PM you an alternative.

1 hour ago, Retroanaconda said:

Rear doors are manual only. Aftermarket electric kits are available.

Yes the switches are illuminated. Red/orange is the illumination feed.

The motor is wired to run both ways, and the switch applies power in both polarities when pushed for up/down.

Have a look at the 02-on wiring diagrams, it is a very simple system. 

So it’s as I thought 

wire 1 live

wire 2 down

wire 3 up

wire 4 light 💡 

what I thought 

I’ll have a look bit later on if I need relays or anything probably a good idea.👌

9 minutes ago, PaulMc said:

The wiring for Defender window switch connectors uses 5 out of the 6 terminals in the connector.

Also, as the Defender switches switch the window motors directly (i.e. - no relays or ECUs in the circuit), the live feed, the outputs to the motor, and the switch's earth, are wired in 2.0mm² cable, with just the switch's illumination in 0.5mm² (Red/Orange) cable.

The switches in your eBay picture are from a Discovery-2, which use the same switches and connectors as the Defender - however, in the discovery-2 the (front) window motors are controlled by the BCU

The switches are wired to switch BCU signal wires to earth on 0.5mm² cables - so, will have to be replaced with 2.0mm² cables to be used in a Defender (I can supply suitable new terminals, or new terminals pre crimped to 2.0mm² cables, if you want them?).

Looking at that eBay listing, £50 is a bit steep for two old D2 switches and connectors (which will need a bit more spending to make them suitable for use in a Defender)

I will PM you an alternative.

Thanks 😊 

3 minutes ago, Green200tdi said:

So it’s as I thought 

wire 1 live

wire 2 down

wire 3 up

wire 4 light 💡 

what I thought 

I’ll have a look bit later on if I need relays or anything probably a good idea.👌

On a Defender it's -

Pin 1 - Earth

Pin 2 - Live feed

Pin 3 - Window up/down

Pin 4 - Window up/down

Pin 5 - Not used

Pin 6 - Illumination

On a Discovery-2 it's -

Pin 1 - Earth

Pin 2 - Not used

Pin 3 - Window up/down signal to BCU

Pin 4 - Window up/down signal to BCU