Sorry, not a new topic "historic vehicles".

Hi to all. I had a trawl but no good info found. My 1986 110 CSW will 40 years in 2026 it was registered 27 01 1986 will it be come historic from the 01 01 2026?. Is it a points system were by to many points no historic status. Is there a points list to have?

Thanks.

20191112_135638 (2).jpg

The DVLA/Gov information is here - https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

So, 40 years old and no substantial alterations.

You will need to apply for the exemption, https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles/apply-for-vehicle-tax-exemption

For a Land Rover it can be a bit tricky about the "no substantial alterations", the guidance is here, https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/historic-classic-vehicles-mot-exemption-criteria/historic-classic-vehicles-mot-exemption-criteria. For the TLDR crowd, a like for like chassis swap is not an issue, moving from a 2.5NA to a Td5 or V8 is probably an issue.

These are also interesting caveats: 

Acceptable changes

It does not count as a ‘substantial change’ if:

• changes are made to preserve a vehicle because the original type parts are no longer reasonably available
  • they are changes of a type which can be demonstrated to have been made when vehicles of the type were in production or within 10 years of the end of production
  • axles and running gear have been changed to improve efficiency, safety or environmental performance
  • changes were made to vehicles that were previously used as commercial vehicles, and you can prove the changes were made when the vehicle was used commercially

Bold indicates upgrading to a new more modern engine/gearbox/axles is perfectly allowable and will retain the MOT and tax exemption.

• Like 1

Yours will become tax exempt 1st April 2027 going on the registration date. As yours was registered early in 1986 it might be worth paying for a heritage certificate because the built date could well be 1985 in which case it will become tax exempt on 1st April 2026.

2 hours ago, landroversforever said:

It has been a while since I've looked at the rules, but I seem to remember they're different for MOT exemption vs free road tax. The latter seemed much more lax (thankfully!).

Yes, that was my understanding too, though I haven’t looked to see if the rules changed in the last few years.

The historic vehicle tax side depended on retaining the original VIN and that exceeding 40 years age.  To keep the VIN, the vehicle has to score a minimum of 8 points on the subassemblies index (five for original or brand new chassis built to original spec, 2 for transmission, 2 for suspension (consumables like springs, dampers and bushes can be replaced), 2 for retaining both original axles (you lose both points if a single axle is replaced), 2 for steering and 1 point for the original engine.  All of those assemblies can be rebuilt with new parts as needed, as long as the casings/block are original.

The MoT issue is quite different and doesn’t use the points system for originality - it considers the specification instead, allowing like for like replacement or replacement with contemporary or more modern evolutions of the original parts, so a 4.6 V8 is allowed in place of a 3.5, and a retrofit of a V8 into a late SIII is allowed because LR built the Stage 1.  I have also read the view that Tdis are permitted in Series models because they are a direct evolution of the 2.25 petrol.  The rules allow more modern equipment fitted for efficiency or safety, so disc brakes, Tdis, inertia reel seat belts, power steering and many other mods could be argued to be compliant under those titles.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

These are also interesting caveats: 

Bold indicates upgrading to a new more modern engine/gearbox/axles is perfectly allowable and will retain the MOT and tax exemption.

That was what I was assuming. Though we all know what assumptions are...

5 hours ago, Chris Davies said:

Yours will become tax exempt 1st April 2027 going on the registration date. As yours was registered early in 1986 it might be worth paying for a heritage certificate because the built date could well be 1985 in which case it will become tax exempt on 1st April 2026.

Do you have a link for that certificate, please?

I applied for a heritage certificate for my range ambulance - turns out it was built three years before it got a UK registration and was eligible for historic tax earlier than I thought as they use date of manufacture, not registration. 

Was pretty straightforward as I recall - just sent the relevant docs off and they returned them with a new V5.  They weren't interested in engine conversions etc. 

On 9/23/2024 at 10:37 AM, jeremy996 said:

For the TLDR crowd, a like for like chassis swap is not an issue, moving from a 2.5NA to a Td5 or V8 is probably an issue.

My experience - no-one knows or cares, I couldn't even get through to anyone who gave a flying sausage let alone understood how cars work so I just submitted the V5 with an MOT and it came back registered as historic. My truck is 90% Land Rover, some of it is even the same parts as left the factory 40+ years ago but not much...

• Like 1