Defender R380 question?

minivin

Guest diesel_jim

I'll be rummaging around in the garage tomorrow so i'll pull it out and get the part number off of it.

I think it's part # FTC3921 (but definately for fitting the R380 to a 300Tdi), and it's got the "guide release bearing" bit in it (that's the bit that the thrust bearing slides up and down... :ph34r:

I paid £30 for it at sodbury a while ago but never used it (got a complete gearbox which had the bellhousing on it already)

It looks really mint and shiny! yours for £20?

If it's any use, i've got an R380 to 300Tdi bellhousing in the garage, could that be cut and tig welded to do anything?

Good question, off ill at present, but when I get a chance I'll have a measure of what the bell housing and V8 adapter plate comes out as

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry if this is stupid as I have just-skim read the thread - but Rob, you have a 109 so you have plenty of room to use a long bellhousing combo. The V8 bellhousing (RR/Disco) that I have on mine is ~30cm deep and the props are both a very reasonable length, even with the engine sat waaay back.

Ah, well I just measured up items as follows:

LT77 from front face to rear face: 14 1/4"

R380 from front face to rear face: 15 1/4"

LT77 4 cyl bell housing and V8 Adapter plate: 7 1/2"

R380 V8 Bell Housing: 12"

So, at present I have from V8 to Transfer Case Adapter Plate 21 3/4"

Fitting the R380 and the V8 Bell Housing would be 27 1/4", which unfortunately would put my hand brake disc 2" within the cross member behind my transmission, and I don't chop chassis's, so anyone wanna buy a V8 bell housing :ph34r:

Ok, since I got my 2WD R380 off of an LDV400 Convoy 1.9NAD (Peugeot Engine), it got me thinking if it was a suitable Land Rover engine.....

The statistics:

There are only two engine options, the 71 bhp 1.9 litre diesel which develops 127 nm of torque @ 2000 rpm and the much more impressive 110 bhp 2 litre direct injection unit with 249 nm @ 1750 rpm.

Unfortunately I can't find the 2.5NAD's power for 90's, 110's et cetera, but I seem to remember it aint 71BHP, does anyone else know?

Seems a few of these Peugeot engines are popping up now, so I thought I would do some checks on measurements. The LDV400 seems to have had an original bell housing for the O series engine modified with a 3/8" metal adapter plate to mate it to the Peugeot 1.9:

DSCF2940.jpg

DSCF2941.jpg

DSCF2942.jpg

If we compare bell housings, taken from the gearbox mounting face, to the engine mounting face, they come out as follows:

R380 V8: 12"

R380 1.9D: 7.5"

LT77 4 cyl: 5 5/8"

LT77 4 cyl with V8 adapter plate: 7.5"

As we know, an LT77 bell housing for a 4cyl model is the same as a Series vehicle, and that fitting a V8 bell housing adapter for a 4 cyl model to either gearboxes does not move the engine or transmission with a V8 in and with commercially available engine mounts, the 1.9D looks like a viable option for fitting into 90's and 110's that presently have a 2.5NAD. This is naturally having some assumptions that this will mean clearance at the bulkhead, and engine mounts being roughly in the right place.

Next detail, the input pinion shaft.

As is well known with fitting a V8 into a Series or a 90/110 that has previously had a 4 cyl engine matted to the transmission, the spigot bushes differ in size. this can either be cured by a spigot bush adapter, or machining the input pinions nose where it locates into the flywheel spigot bush.

Here are the shafts:

LT77 4 cyl:

DSCF2943.jpg

R380 1.9D:

DSCF2944.jpg

R380 V8:

DSCF2945.jpg

As can be seen, these input pinions do vary widely, and the dimensions are as follows:

A = From gearbox bell housing mounting face, to start of clutch splines

B = From gearbox bell housing mounting face, to end of splines

C = From gearbox bell housing mounting face, to end of input shaft

D = Spigot Nose diameter

LT77 4 cyl: A; 4 3/4" B; 6 3/8" C; 7 3/8" D; 7/8"

R380 1.9D: A; 4 3/4" B; 7" C; 8" D; 12mm

R380 V8: A; 7 3/4" B; 10 1/2" C; 11 3/8" D; 7/8"

All have 25mm dia 23 spline clutch splines

Now, the input pinion is a tricky one to get one's head around. However looking at the figures of the LT77 and R380 input pinions having the splines start at the same figure, and having roughly the same lengths after that by being only out by 5/8", that it is theoretically reasonable to be able to offer up the R380 1.9D bell housing onto an LT77 gearbox, modify the input pinion by machining it down to 12mm diameter over the first 1/2" of it's length, and all will mate up together no problem. Only issue would be the clutch slave cylinder being on the drivers side, I think an SD1 input pinion cover could be sourced that has the release on this side so that you would have the associated clutch arm pivot point, however something could be fabricated.

This leaves us with one question, will the Peugeot lump actually fit in a Defender or Series engine bay? I do not know this unfortunately. But I did see n engine over at Richard Noon's car breakers near Andover, Hampshire, which originally had an R380 2WD gearbox mounted to it...... so if anyone fancies doing some research, that would tie this down :)