Public Weighbridges - what's the protocol?

SteveG

Guest diesel_jim

There is a scrap yard fairly near to my place, the owner lives in the same village, although i don't really know him.

I just went down there, chewed the fat a bit with him and he let me use it free.

Where ever you go remeber to ask if it has been calibrated and how recently. Also make sure that the thing is not full of silt under neath, other wise the bridge doesn't go down that much and you leave with a false sense of happyness when your truck 'only' weighs in at 1800 KG, but later you find that it's loads heavier.......

yep

but sometimes they don't notice when you are on and off the weighbridge

i weighed some stainless in a while ago and got an extra 150kg for me hopping on and off the weighbridge! only time in the world it benefits from being "well covered"

I looked up a list of public weighbridges and there are plenty locally. They all seem to be owned by private companies/farms, so what's the protocol?

Do you phone to book in advance? What's the cost?

Thanks

Steve

I used to have one around the corner from me (was one owned by a tipper company.). And when i wanted to know what the 90 weight was i used to just go around there and give them a fiver and they would tell me what it wieghed total and over the front and over the rear. Made it clear that they could not give me a ticket. But would write it down for me . But hey i did not want a ticket anyway. I just wanted to know what it weighed

Many moons ago when I used my IIa for business the road fund licence fee depended on the weight, so I went along to the nearest public weighbridge (in a scrapyard). It weighed in at just over the minimum tax band so the guy told me to go home and remove the spare wheel and tools &c, didn't charge me and then re-weighed it and issued the ticket.

I took 2 of the works landies to the bowerings animal feed place on the docks. Front, rear, total mass done on the scales. £2.97 per vehicle. A SV land rover warn winch on the front of a series II disco and 2 passenger puts it smack on the maximum rating for the axle.

I used to have one around the corner from me (was one owned by a tipper company.). And when i wanted to know what the 90 weight was i used to just go around there and give them a fiver and they would tell me what it wieghed total and over the front and over the rear. Made it clear that they could not give me a ticket. But would write it down for me . But hey i did not want a ticket anyway. I just wanted to know what it weighed

The local recycling centre (a.k.a tip) does just the same - no ticket, but writres it down. Just go on a quiet day.

Thanks for the info everyone and the tips :) Don't have much scrap metal just lying around, but If I take one of the wifes stainless steel pans along and use Jim's tip of jumping on and off it should be a productive trip to the scrappies! :lol: :lol:

The local recycling centre (a.k.a tip) does just the same - no ticket, but writres it down. Just go on a quiet day.

At our local tip I'd have to get them to unlock all the height barriers to get in there! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Steve