lockers

nickm

Morning

needs some help deciding which locker i should go for

running standard 10 spline rangey axle's do i go for

ARB 10 spline locker (have loads of spare shafts ect)

ARB 24 spline locker no spares and would need to find an axle

Detroit locker still no spare and would need to find an axle

would also need to buy the compressor for the ARB

anyone have any preferences over 1 than the other i.e strenghts reliability

not planning on doing any comps just pay n play days so would mean a bit of

road driving

Thanks in advance

Nick

Guest diesel_jim
Morning

ARB 10 spline locker (have loads of spare shafts ect)

ARB 24 spline locker no spares and would need to find an axle

Detroit locker still no spare and would need to find an axle

would also need to buy the compressor for the ARB

the 10 splines are weakere than the 24 splines, but as you say, you've got loads of spares, and if you were gentle with the driving you could be OK, however you don't know how near to breaking the spare ones you have are, so you could fit it in the middle of a muddy lane and it'll snap 10 metres later.

you can buy factory spec V8 24 splines HD shafts from Bearmach for about £30 each, i've got one in the back of my 90 (with lockers and 255/85 or sometimes 35" simex) and it's stood up to that no problem. or raid the piggybank and get some really good Ashcroft shafts, nigh on bulletproof.

BUT, that is all you'll have to change... you say that you'll need "to find an axle", but the axles are the same between 10 spline and 24 spline, it's only the halfshafts that are different. even the drive hubs on the end are the same (unless it's the one piece cast jobbies like rangies had)

compressors are about £130 ish i think, Ashcrofts or D4x4 would be the best bet.

"interesting" username.... i got half way through trying to pronounce it and got bored, do you have a semi-human name we could refer to? :blink:

Sounds like you're capable of mechanical sympathy (for some it seems to be a dirty word :rolleyes: ) so perhaps the 10-spline would be the cheapest option - anyone know if you can upgrade an ARB to 24 spline later if you need to?

£130 for a compressor :blink: I'd go for a cheap aircon setup (loads of air for not much money) or even a £5 super-asthmatic tyre inflator from a 50p shop filling a lemonade bottle if all you need is the engage the locker. There's also the Disco / RR air suspension compressors - very good quality and £5 a pop at Sodbury ;)

anyone know if you can upgrade an ARB to 24 spline later if you need to?

Yes, but its (relatively) expensive about £160 if I remember corectly for the gears.

£130 for a compressor :blink: I'd go for a cheap aircon setup (loads of air for not much money) or even a £5 super-asthmatic tyre inflator from a 50p shop filling a lemonade bottle if all you need is the engage the locker. There's also the Disco / RR air suspension compressors - very good quality and £5 a pop at Sodbury ;)

Aircon setup was one of my better mods, works power tools also.

A mate runs a co2 bottle, not the easiest solution but works ok.

I started out using one of These and it worked fine, just not as good as the air con pump.

So perhaps the 10-spline would be the cheapest option -

Ive run GKN's (about £350) for about 4 years now - no issues to date.

But I already had 10 spline ARB, if starting from scratch i would probably go for 24 spline

I have a 10 spline ARB - went for that because at the time my off roading expectations were not what they are now. Not broken any shafts yet but have twisted the life out of a pair! That was with a V8 and auto box so pretty gentle on the transmission. A Manual box raises the shock loads transferred to the axle with more shaft breaking opportunities.

If you are looking at fitting lockers that tells me you are looking at expanding your off roading horizons with more challenging stuff.

I would bite the bullet and build a 24 spline axle. You should be able to find a pair for around £300.

Locker choice? ARB or any other fully lockable / unlockable device.

i would go for the ARB over the other options, buying a compressor also gives you the tyre inflation option and will owrk a frotn ARB in the future!

i upgraded my RR axle to 24 spline by just changing the shafts, i didnt change the stubs.

its cheaper in the long run to go 24 straight off rather than 10 spline. Even 10 spline and working on using up the expendable shafts, when they are gone (which coudl be ages) upgraded 10 splines are ££££ and hard to come by, plus by the time you have got through several sets of 10 splines you could have just fitted hardened 24 spline shafts for the £££ especially if you add in the cost of 'lost enjoyment and entry fee' when it happens at a site even if you replace them there.

I was in the same position last year and I went for a 24 spline ARB, I had 10 spline axles, so changed the hubs to metric 24 spline and fitted v8 90 shafts. I used a small cheap compressor and a home made tank for the air supply.

I've not had any trouble with the V8 90 shafts yet, with a TDI and 33" Simex, but at £15 each, i bought a spare pair incase :rolleyes:

IMHO ARB is the only way forward. If you dont go ARB the first slippy side slope you get on or the first time you want to turn up a slippy climb you will wish you had as the auto lockers or limited slip units will cause all sorts of problems but with ARB its just a flick of a switch and your back to open diff's. Also ive seen mates having a real bad time trying to turn in mud on auto locking units.

Shaft wise im running ashcroft 24 rear and 24/23 and uprated C.V's up front. After 9 brocken shafts and a brocken C.V in just a few months I decided it was worth while. If people tell you that they only break if you abuse them dont listen. I dont drive "throttle happy" I try and use just the amount needed but if you are going to drive the terrain that you need a locker for then you will find time's where you have to get a bit more aggressive which is when the shafts will let you down. If you drive terrain that doesn't require the odd bit of "hard driving" then you probably dont need a locker!