Td5 Mass Air Flow meter

mattD110td5x

I've just had a nice person fix a nasty squeak associated with low oil pressure at the back of the cam and he said that the Mass Airflow Meter was stuffed and that this would manifest as as no power before boost - which I have now noticed - thanks for telling me.

I'm on a high from rebuilding the 12v motor in the DVD, :rolleyes: so before I shell out $$$$$.... has anyone ever pulled one of these apart? has anyone ever been able to put it back together? :ph34r:

So it is just 2 plates? one heated, and one not with 2 temperature sensors? what could go wrong?

thanks, ttfn - Matthew

Guest diesel_jim

And while you're at it, add in a variable resistor so that you can "fool" the ECU into thinking that more air is going through, and thus it'll stuff more fuel into the engine whilst the injectors are open and give you some more power.

this is the most basic form of ECU jiggery-pokery, but could gain you a few extra horses.

I was told that the MAF ran out of range at about 2,000 rpm and that it was all up to the manifold pressure/temperature and turbo after that. So you may get some small pit ponies down low but maybe not big blobs of fire that you are looking for....

Can anyone corroborate this story?

ttfn - Matthew

Guest diesel_jim
I was told that the MAF ran out of range at about 2,000 rpm and that it was all up to the manifold pressure/temperature and turbo after that. So you may get some small pit ponies down low but maybe not big blobs of fire that you are looking for....

ttfn - Matthew

i never knew that, i was just assuming it might be like other cars. could be slightly handy though...

ttfn - Matthew

Would have to check but I am fairly sure you get MAF readings from a Td5 throughout the rev range...

Not sure when I will next have a Td5 on the computer at work but I'll have a look if I remember.

If it's anything like a proper engine (EG petrol) then a very easy way to fool the ECU is tweak the air or coolant sensor with a variable resistor - colder engine = more enrichment. A chap tuned his MS this way as he had no provision for a laptop in his Westfield, just noted down the VR values on a bit of paper and tweaked the fuel map when he got home :lol:

Not being an expert but knowing quite alot about all the sensors on a TD5 from ongoing experience (see TD5 Misfire posts) the 2 sensors inside the MAF are very very delicate and brittle when used so if you touch them they will break.

I was advised first off to spray them with electrical contact cleaner as they get an oily build up which stops them sensing properly, then try again, I could not find anything else to play with so I ended up buying new one, but if you can wait a couple of days I will hunt out the old one and "dissect" it and see if there is anything I missed. I will try and post some pics also.

Let me know

Regards

TD5Spain

Never tried on a TD5, but on Fords and Volvos' with Hot-wires that are accessible.

I've used a cotton bud soaked with alcohol (good ol' tape head cleaner).

Be very gentle and wipe both sides of the wire. Allow to dry for at least 20 minutes before running the engine.

DO NOT use wd40, it coats the hot-wires and kills them, if you hadn't got a dead MAF, you have now! :lol:

RAVE

"...The ECM uses the information generated by the MAF sensor to control exhaust gas recirculation (EGR).... This calculation allows the ECM to set the EGR ratio for varying operating conditions."

so, does this mean that the MAF is not used for fueling?

I would think that this MAF information would be very useful but maybe not as useful as manifold pressure and temperature?

ttfn

Matthew