Welding, RRC, inner wings and footwells

Half Orange

Anybody welded new inner wings in, or patched up existing ones? I'm not at al sure how much to cut out when replacnig the footwells, has anybody ever replaced the complete footwell? What was involved?

My RRC has had complete new inner and outer sills so I expect the floor and sills to be fine, but as for the bottom of the A posts and footwells........

Any experiences or advice wouod be really appreciated.

Anybody welded new inner wings in, or patched up existing ones? I'm not at al sure how much to cut out when replacnig the footwells, has anybody ever replaced the complete footwell? What was involved?

My RRC has had complete new inner and outer sills so I expect the floor and sills to be fine, but as for the bottom of the A posts and footwells........

Any experiences or advice wouod be really appreciated.

Not much advice but I've seen several footwells replaced by welding them to the floor. I screwed mine back in (as per original) which makes it possible to get the floor out in future to work on the gearbox or clutch without an angle grinder! Bit more work but I think it's better.

As for how much to cut out - keep going until you get solid metal!

AndyG

I had no idea the footwells were bolt in. Excellent. I bet mine have been welded in though ...... They look like a clowns trousers, so many patches..... And the carpet is wetter than an otters pocket.

It looks like I'll have plenty of practice with my new MIG, I might even get as good as Les by the time the thing is rust free.......

I had no idea the footwells were bolt in. Excellent. I bet mine have been welded in though ...... They look like a clowns trousers, so many patches..... And the carpet is wetter than an otters pocket.

It looks like I'll have plenty of practice with my new MIG, I might even get as good as Les by the time the thing is rust free.......

The footwells are welded to the bulkhead but screwed to the floor with spire nuts.

Though of course if your motor is newer than mine it might be different!

AndyG

For info - Mark did an inner wing replacement thread for his Disco. Not identical, but the theory is the same and it'll show you how much work it can turn into.

I'll find it and pop back in a mo.....

Found it......here!

Thanks for that, I'll have a good read today. Both my mate (89 RRC) and mine (83 RRC) have issues. Mine are mainly headlight box and the joint along the top inner wing and outer wing. His are yet to be investigated, suffice to say his headlight is liquid metlled in...... :o

The footwells are welded to the bulkhead but screwed to the floor with spire nuts.

Though of course if your motor is newer than mine it might be different!

AndyG

Thanks for the info. Mine is an 83, so I am expecting to have inherited a huge number of botches in the footwells...

I'm not sure if there's a "standard" procedure for the inner wings.

Obviously a new inner wing will get rid of all the rust but it looked a horrendous job.

Mine were perfect at the outer wing joint but had rotted badly round each of the holes where the plastic wing liner is/was/should have been fixed (with those silly plastic rivet things)

I was able to cut out the rust and butt weld in patches quite easily. A good thing about Rangies is the thickness of the steel (18g / 1.2mm) which I find is much easier to weld than the usual 20 or 22g found on other cars.

A quick run over the welds with the angle grinder and they're almost invisible.

My footwell was only slightly rusted at the side panel joint and again a patch was sufficient to get rid of all the rust.

Incidentally my RRC is a '89 and the floor is welded in, not screwed or pop-riveted.

Good luck

Bob

That is good to hear, thin panels are a learners nightmare....... I reckon I'll be patching the footwells, it is not like they give me a foot spa when off roading or anything....

Excellent to know there is so much advice on steel work here. Thanks for everyones input.