OT: IT Help

BogMonster

As my new laptop has wireless networking in it, I decided I'd have a play with this to see how it works

But as usual I am not getting very far :blink:

So I have a wireless access point and it's connected to the network and I think properly configured for the network (at least it responds to a ping from another PC on the network and I can open the config program in IE6, to do that you type in the access point's IP address and it "loads" a "website" from the AP to change settings)

But I can't get the laptop to talk to it. It recognises the network in the wireless list, and connects to it, but nothing Internetty will come in or out.

I'm not sure what I should set the laptop IP address to - should it be the same as the AP as it is going through that (but doesn't work); should it be the same IP address as I used to use when the laptop was wired into the network hub using a normal cable (that doesn't work) or something completely different? At the moment I have the IP address I would be using when the laptop was on the network, and the same subnet mask, DNS and gateway settings as well.

When I was messing with settings yesterday I think I might have ****ed something up in the settings for the laptop's wireless adaptor, but I uninstalled and reinstalled that and it seemed happy, as I said it connects to the network just won't let any data come and go.

any ideas from learned network people please? I haven't a clue what I am doing with this stuff as you can probably tell :unsure:

Thanks

Stephen

Cool, I am now on-forum wirelessly B)

I did as you suggested and though as far as I can see it hasn't changed any of the settings I had, it now works and before it didn't! :blink:

Didn't spot the networking wizard as I was looking under the normal network connections, oops :unsure:

Many thanks for your help ;) yet again ask and the forum shall provide (and bluddy quickly too!)

PS now need to secure it so just watch me F it up again...... :rolleyes:

hmmm

not getting anywhere so far :angry:

stoopid thing won't allow me to enable the security for some reason - you can set it through the config screen but then it goes straight back to unsecure

grrrrrrrr :angry:

there's money out there for anybody that invents a network technology that you just plug in and it bluddy works every time!!!!

There are three types of security on my access point, I use (128bit, more bits more secure!) WEP which requires a "key" which is random text I type in on both the access point and my laptop.

Once they have the same key they can talk to each other...

IMHO, reading the forum in the back garden having a beer in the sun is the mutts nutts!

well when you do and you get it up and running again tell me how I'm stuck on that too :D

:blink:

Security generally has to set up on the access point - your wireless router and then the settings mirrored on the laptop. Do you have any other machines operating with security? If not I'd suggest that the router needs configuring.

Apple's Airport comes close to fit and forget, BUT when it does go pear-shaped it can be a real bugger to sort.

Nothing else wireless is in the area AFAIK - and I tried it with the laptop's wireless widget off, in case it wouldn't change mode if something was connected to it

It is just a Belkin wireless access point that plugs into a network hub, not a router (the router is in another building).

It works fine in unsecured mode but just doesn't want to secure itself. Oh well I'll hit it and swear at it, sometimes that works :blink:

It is just a Belkin wireless access point that plugs into a network hub, not a router (the router is in another building).

It works fine in unsecured mode but just doesn't want to secure itself. Oh well I'll hit it and swear at it, sometimes that works :blink:

<_< The setting should be on the Belkin access point - it sounds like security is still switched off. Got the model number and I may be able to look up the manual?