Removing Fan - Possible consequences?

I thought I might try removing the viscous fan from the front of the water pump to reduce the drag on the 200Tdi. I have been advised that this engine will work quite happily without the fan but as the temperature in France can often reach mid 40s during summer I wondered if this might not be such a good idea? Perhaps it could go on in summer and be removed in winter?

Ged

I drove round France for 2 years with a dead fan. In summer you will need to keep a very close eye on the temp, especially on long hills.

On a trip back from Italy, it was about 38 and I had to make frequent stops on long motor way hills up from the Frejus tunnel.

Finally fitted an electric fan, just cause it was cheaper than a replacement viscous.

done about 20,000 mile without a fan on my 200tdi towing a trailer & full of kids in the UK or clod climates.

Never been a problem, but I'm fitting an electric one soon in preparation for a june trip fully loaded on french/spanish border....thought I'd be pushing my luck there.....

I'm fitting a ford mondeo fan with an x-eng thermostatic switch.

Jas

from memory it comes with all the bits you require.. (both do)

but I think the X-eng mod is rather nice and easier to plumb in with out leaks than the old style twist dial thing ..

Thanks very much guys. Out of interest, how hard is it to fit a Kenlow or Pacet fan?

X-Eng fan Switch

Red%20Blu%20Lo.jpg

There's even a forum discount if you use the link in Si's signature. Don't bother buying a Kenlowe/Pacet, just raid the local scrapyard for something from a Citroen or Renault (you should be OK in France then!) as they have big slimline fans (made by Gate). Far cheaper than a kenlowe and from what I've heard they draw less current and are more reliable as they're OE.

Yep I also run a 200 tdi without the viscous fan, I planned to fit a kenlowe but never got around to it, I have never had a problem with overheating even in the hot weather we had last year, I had just fitted a new radiator which I suspect would have helped with the cooling though :rolleyes:

X-Eng fan Switch

Red%20Blu%20Lo.jpg

There's even a forum discount if you use the link in Si's signature. Don't bother buying a Kenlowe/Pacet, just raid the local scrapyard for something from a Citroen or Renault (you should be OK in France then!) as they have big slimline fans (made by Gate). Far cheaper than a kenlowe and from what I've heard they draw less current and are more reliable as they're OE.

Yep, allisport also do this type of switch and yes don't bother with the kenlowe/pacet unless you've got money to burn.

on my 200 tdi the fan only used to activate in the height of summer on long runs or in heavy traffic..

Thanks very much guys. Out of interest, how hard is it to fit a Kenlow or Pacet fan?

So easy you'll probably spend more time "planning" than "doing"

"planning" being, where can I get some nice angle to mount it on? have I got a long enough stout wire to run the electrikery down?

I have never seen a tdi or TD5 without a viscous fan here, though doubtless there may be one out there. I have recently fitted a Disco a/c fan to the grille to help out on hot days. For some reason my Defender (with AC) was made without a pusher fan, which meant that the AC didn't work very well at low speeds. I was going to fit an extra switch but didn't want to make holes in the dash, so used the HRW switch instead as I have never used that in 11 years. Oh, I know I could have wired the fan relay into the AC clutch but I wanted to be able to use the fan with the AC off, and it came in handy occasionally on my last trip when the engine temp went over 100c.

Presumably there is a switch wire from the thermostat to trigger the motor but where is best place to take the power from?

No, the the kit will include a thermostat that you install in your top (or bottom) radiator hose, this comes with a whel that you can rotate to alter the temperature at which the fans come on. These are a poor design and are prone to leaking, hence why everyone has suggested using the X-eng switch above.

Take the power from the battery, always the best place IMHO

The kenlowe stat is basically an industrial boiler stat, like these sold by RS:

R561460-01.jpg

(#250-6083)

Not only are they mechanical and inaccurate, but they really don't like getting wet and the capillary makes for a less than robust install, and creates a potential leak in the hose end.

There are excellent wiring instructions with the X-Fan Switch, you can even read them online: X-Fan Switch fitting instructions

I assume therefor that there is not a particular fan 'kit' from Kenlow or Pacet for the Land Rover that will bolt-on and that some 'adaptation' is required. Presumably there is a switch wire from the thermostat to trigger the motor but where is best place to take the power from?

I got a kit similar to Kenlowe/Pacet (can't remember from where at the moment) that was a straight bolt on, with full instructions. The fan came with brackets that fitted into the existing studs on the radiator - some drilling was required.

Then the bottom hose had to be removed and cut to fit the thermostat. Then a supply run from the live feed on the alternator. No real planning required.

If you're not too hot on electrics/fiddling, then I'd recommend a full kit.

If I was doing it again, I'd get a fan from a scrappy and X-eng's thermostat. No reason you can't go this route, as I'm sure there are lots on here that'd help you out with wiring etc.