Discovery II hybrid

Putting Disco II axles on Defender/RRC chassis for their wider track and extra strength is getting relatively common now, particularly on comp safari motors.

But has anyone heard of anybody putting a proper Defender body on a complete Disco II chassis?

Was thinking: written off, rolled Disco II stripped of its body mounting brackets and Defender ones in their place and building up using new/take-off panels from somewhere like Equicar (they also have low-mileage 4.4 V8s and transmissions available too, which would be nice). The chassis rails, from workshop manuals, appear to be of very similar widths.

Sounds so simple....

I cant really see the point myself, it would be easier and cheaper to fit the disco2 axles and suspension (if that is what you wanted) to a defender chassis. The disco2 chassis are no stronger or sturdier than a defender chassis of the same era - indeed they were manufactured by the same supplier.

What are you trying to acheive with the vehicle? A general idea of your aim would give us all a clue about what might be best

Lewis :)

This is one of the possibilities for my next project :D

There was a rolled TD5 Disco in one of the local breakers, which went for auction and sold at £1600. But i only found out about it the day before so didn't have a chance to have a look at it :angry:

I can't see any real reason why it can't be done :unsure:

It's like why is your 110 trayback'd? It doesn't need it.

Firstly its not mine, secondly I assume the previous owners did it to reduce weight, reduce length, reduce the bodywork damage to the rear end, give the winch somewhere to sit - all the usual resons for traybacking a vehicle (in the uk sense of the term) ;) Who knows, they may have just done it for the fun of doing it :rolleyes:

I believe John Cockburns last racer was a classic RR on a Disco 2 chassis rather than just an axle swop.

Would it really be worth the hassle?

I'm not sure it was, Steve. I think that is a std RRC chassis, but with Disco II axles. However Richard Hopkins latest Discovery is Disco II chassis with Disco I body! :blink:

H

Thank you to everybody who has taken the time to respond.

The idea is really one of building something myself, which is different, relatively sensible and hopefully not too demanding. And fun!

I wasn't trying to suggest that the Disco II chassis itself is stronger than that of a Defender, merely that the running gear is stronger (so I've heard). It would be built as a fast-road vehicle and the Disco II suspension should handle better than a Defender, and if a V8 source vehicle came up the engine and gearbox would already be in place. Was thinking that 20" Stormer wheels, hiding some very large brake discs, would look quite good combined with that metallic orange used on early RR Sports. I realise that the easy thing to do would be to respray a V8 90 or 110 and stick hub adapters on it but that's not really the point!

Many people have created 100" hybrids on RRC chassis using 110 panels trimmed accordingly (bit off from before the wheels, bit off behind) - I suppose the key issue is how straightforward it would be to mount the bulkhead and body mounting points on the DII chassis and whether you would need to chop the interior body panels about much.

It's all still a little wishful thinking at the moment, but I thought I would ask to see if it was a remotely possible project.

Definitely further investigation needed for now.

Thank you to everybody who has taken the time to respond.

The idea is really one of building something myself, which is different, relatively sensible and hopefully not too demanding. And fun!

I wasn't trying to suggest that the Disco II chassis itself is stronger than that of a Defender, merely that the running gear is stronger (so I've heard). It would be built as a fast-road vehicle and the Disco II suspension should handle better than a Defender, and if a V8 source vehicle came up the engine and gearbox would already be in place. Was thinking that 20" Stormer wheels, hiding some very large brake discs, would look quite good combined with that metallic orange used on early RR Sports. I realise that the easy thing to do would be to respray a V8 90 or 110 and stick hub adapters on it but that's not really the point!

Many people have created 100" hybrids on RRC chassis using 110 panels trimmed accordingly (bit off from before the wheels, bit off behind) - I suppose the key issue is how straightforward it would be to mount the bulkhead and body mounting points on the DII chassis and whether you would need to chop the interior body panels about much.

It's all still a little wishful thinking at the moment, but I thought I would ask to see if it was a remotely possible project.

Definitely further investigation needed for now.

Sounds broadly simerlar to an idea I have for a daily driver / towcar - Fast road 90 with an LS engine :)

Personally I'd prefer to mod a defender chassis to do this sort of thing as its the right length, doesn't need all the body mounting doing and it makes building the vehicle as a work in progress easier.

The DII has a better steering setup, wider track and better halfshafts than the late DI's / defenders but the setup at the front still isn't amazing (IIRC CV input side of the front shafts is small diameter 32 spline like late rover axles). Diffs are also still only 2 pin. Gearbox and transferbox setup is simerlar to that seen on DI's/RRC/Defenders and no stronger (auto is still an HP22, manual is still an R380) although the electronic autobox is quite nice. ACE might be a good thing to have and would certainly be easier to use with a DII chassis than a defender one.

What about stripping all the outer panels off the disco and roof then making some larger sized defender ones to 'bolt on' thus creating a disco interior/dash but looking like a slighty modified defender. I rly fancy makin one of these as you get the ride and comfort of a disco with the looks of a defender.