td engine

Geek

hi im new to the forum my names will and im 15 i have a land rover 90 hardtop

but it has a td engine i have rebuilt it new big end bearings pison rings any thing that

was worn was replace with new but its still slughish and at full speed it will only do

65mph :o although the turbo was never toched as it seemed to be functioning ok

should i just bin it and put a tdi in or is there anything it could be

cheers will

Guest dew110CSW

65 sounds good for a TD - That's about where mine has runs out of puff give or take.

It was never a fast enigne, but if you'd just rebuilt it I would say keep it, if you want speed consider fitting an Overdrive or fitting a higher (I think) Ratio Transfer box (Discovery).

tdi fanboys will be along any minute though to tell you to burn the TD so you can release the demons of birmingham, so listen to the advice of someone who has run a TD for some time (aka me).

erm personaly i would stick TDi in there BUT if you have rebuilt it it should be good and as for the turbo well quite a few people (including myself) have old td'S kicking about which you could nick the turbo off to try. I think a td should be able to manage 75 on the flat but maybe it needs bedding in?? i wouldn t try tweaking it though as they do like to blow up when suitably tweaked

having sad that for the last 10 seconds of a tds life they are usualy bloomin good engines with loads of power :blink::D

Burn the TD and release the demons of Birmingham :D

Well said that man! Td's are the work of satan, Tdi's on the other hand are the best engine in the world ever ever :lol::ph34r:

Will, welcome. The only thing that springs to mind is maybe the timing is out, on the injection pump or just the valve timing in general, but I wouldnt expect too much more than 65ish, a mates TD will do 70+ but only rarely and at great effort. Maybe look for a nice tdi? :D

for what you are likely to use it for i would stick with the TD, its more than capable and a good engine, if you have one now that still works then it must be good one. i had a TD for 4 yrs and loved it it did everything i wanted.

i am a true tdi man, i love them but......

if i was honest i have always thought why bother with a V8 its got nothing on a tdi, (eg tdi loves water and goes whatever) until i codrove for some challenges with a guy with a v8 and that power got us through alot of obstacles/climbs where as had i been in a tdi i would have be ririgging by then!

so i love TDis, would like a V8 but fuel and water dont go well with it (or too well) so TDI it is!

at off roading i seemed to be able to do what people witth v8 s do but am abit unsatisfied

with the onroad performance the engine has done 2000 miles since rebuild and the only plus that had

come from the rebild was that she stoped smoking does any one know here there is a 200tdi engine

im nots scaired of it having gasket problems as i intend to rebuild it befor i fit

cheers will

Not going to say go V8 it is a prefernce but like everyone has just said if you have just rebuilt it then stick with it as you know the engine etc.

On another note, at 15 the on road performance should not bother you just yet

The TD is a decent engine which suffers with piston crown thermal fatigue problems because it was the final development of a very old design.

Get a second hand Tdi intercooler and fit that to reduce the piston temperatures. I found that Peugeot 'pintle' injector nozzles gave my 2.5NAD a few extra ponies, they don't have the auxiliary hole which sprays fuel onto the heater plug. This makes for worse cold starting, but that same fuel is then saved or burned more efficiently. However, this will probably bring the piston crown temperatures back up.

If you inspected the pistons for cracking when you rebuilt it (or replaced them) then you should have a green light for getting a little extra beans from it. If you kill it - fit the 200Tdi anyway! There's something very respectable about getting the underdog to compete with the big boys :)

Les - I had a NAD so no need/point intercooling it.

I can't remember which engine the Pintle nozzles were from (a mate suggested it and sourced them for me) but I remember they fitted in standard LR injector bodies and with fuelling mods too it went very well (70mph on the flat from a NAD!)...

... but I did have to rebuild it after one of the piston skirts broke up climbing a hill at 55mph in 3rd :) Oh to be a teenager again.

I wonder if IIA 2.25D injectors would fit a TD? I know they had a higher rate than S3 items (the IIA bodies look much chunkier on the side of the head) and they were a known tweak to your 2.25D - some highly tuned units were able to pull the skin off a rice pudding.

I wonder if IIA 2.25D injectors would fit a TD? I know they had a higher rate than S3 items (the IIA bodies look much chunkier on the side of the head) and they were a known tweak to your 2.25D - some highly tuned units were able to pull the skin off a rice pudding.

No they wont as they have larger diameter nozzle retaining nuts. The nozzles are the same as S3 and have the same break pressure.

will, i would definitely stick with the TD. As when insurance hears that its a non originial engine their going to rob you something rotten. Plus whats the point in going fast when you can have it out with the lorries in the left hand lane ;)

tats the reson i was wantin abitmore speed ma dad gets stressed when hes getting bullied

by lorries :lol:

will, i would definitely stick with the TD. As when insurance hears that its a non originial engine their going to rob you something rotten. Plus whats the point in going fast when you can have it out with the lorries in the left hand lane ;)

I've had some embarassing moments trying to overtake lorries in my TD. V embarassing when you have to give up when you're halfway past and then all the cars behind you go past laughing!!

I've had some embarassing moments trying to overtake lorries in my TD. V embarassing when you have to give up when you're halfway past and then all the cars behind you go past laughing!!

yes or you cant just get past ethal and boris n there sunday run although there goin slow theres just not enough power left to get round

:lol::lol:

glad its not just us lol