DIY. Corrected radius arms.

BrUcE

What am i looking at? too close and muddy

The photo shows a standard trailing arm that had been intentionally bent, then had bent much further during an accident. It can also happen when reversing uphill offroad. The photo is taken in the wheel arch above the tyre - the trailing arm has bent so much that it runs parrellel with the chassis then bends sharply downward. This caused the axle to rotate and the wheelbase to shorten on one side forcing the propshaft to break

With a 2" suspension kit that includes springs, dislocation cones and shocks what do i need the rest of this stuff for. Extened bump stops limit the articulation as that topic has come up on this so many times. The radius arms and extended brake lines I also understand but do i need the other things for a smooth and proper ride. Turrets? please explain it and the rest in the picture. Trying to do everything to tighten up the steering and if it can be built myself for cheaper then great.

post-2676-1171667436_thumb.jpg

RuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuPh ?

The sound of the tin of worms being opened :lol:

Ok,

I am taking a wild stab here that you are looking at upgrading / improving your suspension ?

Then you are in the right place - and welcome.

If you are looking seriously at the "Orange" Kits, oh dear, how shall we put it ? - Erm, there is a <cough> erm :huh: a "Dislike" of the "Orange ethics and qulaity" here shall we say.

1st thing you need to do is confirm what you are trying to achive, why, and the usage for the 4x4, this will then guide many into their advice.

2nd thing is to look in the tech section under suspension mods, and also the video forum has ome vids on mods done in use, you can make huge leaps and bounds on suspension with a little money some spanners and a lot of thought - and there is a raft of thought about these mods here on this forum

Oh course you might not be looking to upgrade your suspension, in which case erm forget al of the above

Welcome anyway :P just keep away from some of the "Excentic" members, stick with the normal ones :lol:

Nige

Do you have a suspension lift ? If so and its greater than 2" and running standard radius arms , you probably are suffering from bump steer,

Caster corrected arms are the soloution.

Thank you amigo. I read that but curious about all the other ****. I have an Ironman Suspension kit which claims to be 2" but I've never actually measured it.

Guys, Guys, Guys.

My apologies I am aware of this from reading posts on this forum since i have become a member which is not all that long. I don't want to get involved in your politics. It's just a picture.

Don't worry Bruce ... just whisper 'Scor***n' and it'll keep some people happy.

Me, I've never used them so have no opinion worth sharing so

SCORPION SCORPION SCORPION

Is that a rocket motor on the end of a cigar shaped object I just saw take off? I think I'd better hide ... :ph34r:

:)

AndyG

Guys, Guys, Guys.

My apologies I am aware of this from reading posts on this forum since i have become a member which is not all that long. I don't want to get involved in your politics. It's just a picture.

:hysterical: Easy Tiger, put the tazer away most members are gentle and friendly :hysterical:

What would be useful is a brief decription iof exactly what you have now, what you are trying to achive and what you are going to use it for, there is no "Ultimate" setup, it really depends on what you are trying to achive and why

Nige

Me normal ?, absolutely................. its all you lot thats weird

medication Fridge, .........medication

Wibble, knit one pearl one gerbil

Nige

PS edited to add

I am not the one Mr fridge who has a perfectly servicable RR 3.9, that carries a "Host" of spares inc a LT230 AND a 4.6V8 engine :P

Edited by Hybrid_From_Hell

When I do use my vehicle offroad I try to put it to the edge without hopefully damaging the cars body too too bad. Some of u can gimme a break on this as i drive the vehicle hard normally. But probably have to put the car into low once or twice a month if u get the drift. I love the look and culture of defenders and their owners but it took me a hell of alot of time to get my car to where it is. u can see some pics at http://ofjudah.spaces.live.com/ but I warn u theres alot of other pics before u can get to them in the slide show. i have a few in the gallery also. None of u should be a stranger to putting in time enrgy and money into your babies. I am waiting on a bunch of parts being shipped from england to me shortly and then finally the car should be complete and looking more agressive. Phew... now that I'm done giving reasons to being a complete pussy offroad with my car. It's difficult for me to explain the road conditions here. How do I put it. THEY SUCK! When I explain this to people and say that we have alot of pot holes and that the road surface is not flat they think of 1st world standards. Your potholes and mine are different I'll leave it at that. Phew.Good comfort for everyday driving is what I need. But I want to keep the ride height. I don't remember the amount of overall lift and the car is at the garage.

Ok

Had a quick look, and I do feel for you, life looks to be a real non stop struggle for you :lol:

Seriously not really any clearer what you are after / trying to achive. ?

Putting it another way, what have you thought of doing / buying ? and then why ?

If the truck in the end of the pics is the same on at the beginning - superb !

nige

Nige

Comfort on the road is number 1 to me now and handling not four wheel driving. The suspension is now actually being looked at by Ironman and they are working with me as 1 of there distributors who sold me the product did not sell me what i explained to him that I wanted. I have gas shocks on the thing and when I hit a pothole at speed accidentally form time to time it feels and sounds like I went thru a brick wall and didn't slow down. This is not at all a complaint about the product as it is well built and very strong but I was sent what I think is for serious load carrying or something. They are replacing this for me with the correct specs.

Ah HA !

I would say youi need soft(er) springs then and decent shocks, minimal lift if any - this could be done with research from genuine alternate LR springs and say decent shocks Bilstein OME but the springs with differing lengths and poundages or maybe a quality spring upgrade kit, .............whilst I haven'y personally gone this route many who go for a OME kit say the ride is much kinder all round ?

You may now find that you get some feedback from others with ideas......

Nige

Ok

Had a quick look, and I do feel for you, life looks to be a real non stop struggle for you :lol:

Seriously not really any clearer what you are after / trying to achive. ?

Putting it another way, what have you thought of doing / buying ? and then why ?

If the truck in the end of the pics is the same on at the beginning - superb !

nige

Yup same car! i can't wait to get my new parts to finally finish this thing or come pretty close atleast.