Drilling alloy wheels.

The Yak

Hi all.... :)

Hmmm, something to ponder before I get heavy with the drill! Your advice is welcomed.... :)

I have a set of the Australian heavy duty TX alloy wheels. Inside these I shall be fitting Staun inflatable bead lockers. Therefore, I need to drill an additional hole for the second air valve. I know of many people who have done this, particularly in Australia, but I don't actually know anyone here in these Septic Isles who has done it.

Question 1. Is there a particular drill bit I should be using, or will an average one for drilling steel be ok,

and is there any particular technique involved? (After all, it's not always what you've got but the

way that you use it!)

Question 2. Any thoughts on location of the second valve in relation to centrifugal balancing. Is near the

orginal valve better, or go diametricaly opposed? (you know...opposite!)

Well lads and lasses, one of you has probably done this....

Those of us that haven't probably have some useful thoughts to throw in the melting pot.... ;)

Cheery Bye!

Bob.

Diametricaly oposed will look prettier ;) and they will need balancing anyway so I wouldnt worry about that

I've had the pleasure of drilling a few hundred alloy wheels at work :angry: and I can exclusively reveal that any old drill bit will do it, you could probably turn a wood bit with your fingers and still be through all five in under an hour

:D

Diametricaly oposed will look prettier ;) and they will need balancing anyway so I wouldnt wooy about that

I've had the pleasure of drilling a few hundred alloy wheels at work :angry: and I can exclusively reveal that any old drill bit will do it, you could probably turn a wood bit with your fingers and still be through all five in under an hour

That's great. You can't beat a bit of inside information! ;) I feel more confident that I am not going to balls it up! :D

Ta!

Bob.

Oi, wot you upto & playing with ???? :ph34r:

Hi Ralph. :)

I've got 16x8's and a set of the new type Cooper Discoverer STT 285x75's to go on The Yak.

You will recall I had a set of the old style Cooper STT's on the old Stage 1 V8 and I was happy with those.

I have gone for the wider wheels+offset and tyres for many reasons. As usual it is a compromise, but one of the main reasons is stability. As you know it is a tall vehicle and will, when fully converted, be heavy-ish. The rear body sides hang out 6" past the edge of the current Wolf rims so there is plenty of room! When you consider it, some of the heavy items like cooker, fridge etc, will actually be sitting partly outside the wheel track! At the front I will probably have a pair of the Innovation 4x4 extended wheelarch eyebrows.

Got the cooker, fridge, and air-con unit so far. The current air-con fitted in the back body is engine driven, but the new unit works off battery which will be fed by solar panels. Great when parking up for days on end. Cool environment, cold beers!.........

Cheers,

Bob & Cas. :D