4x4Adventures Winch Challenge

JST

Stuck about 70 of my better photos up here. Took over 300 so if anyone wants a DVD of them posted, or just one or two of a particular vehicle emailed send me a PM.

Here's a select few for a taster of the day, horribly compressed for the web - the full size ones look much better!

IMG_9837.jpg

IMG_9844.jpg

Circlip went ping

IMG_9858.jpg

Not easy finding all the bits, and even harder putting it back together the right way!

IMG_9859.jpg

IMG_9868.jpg

One of a few with problems steering

IMG_9872.jpg

IMG_9883.jpg

IMG_9899.jpg

IMG_9912.jpg

IMG_9930.jpg

IMG_9944.jpg

Field repairs

IMG_9970.jpg

After loosing a fight with a tree

IMG_9972.jpg

IMG_9981.jpg

IMG_9994.jpg

IMG_10010.jpg

IMG_10014.jpg

IMG_10032.jpg

IMG_10033.jpg

IMG_10049.jpg

IMG_10062.jpg

IMG_10092.jpg

IMG_10104.jpg

Broken winch mainshaft

IMG_10124.jpg

IMG_10114.jpg

IMG_10127.jpg

IMG_10130.jpg

IMG_10143.jpg

IMG_10145.jpg

Seemed like quite a tough event, mainly due to the ground conditions - there were certainly a few punches that I wouldn't want to attempt but it was great seeing others doing them. Nice to see teams helping each other out too amongst the many problems and breakages, unlike one or two other events I've been to where certain people have been too busy trying to win to help anyone!

Richard

modified Results will go up tomorrow after i have finsihed chekcing them! 1 mistake so far in std, std results are

1st Keith Knight 990

2nd Bull Bar Cowboy retd 1500 and out the bog by 1700 and on an AA truck by 1830...... 973

3rd= Recca and Dunstersteve 923

Retd early Rus and Lewis 390 after 1 hour.

std + 1

1st Jay and Nige 3500

2nd Shaun and Ben 1100 retd with engine probs 1500hrs.

Jay and Nige had the highest score as each punch is scored individually in each class, therefore its not representative across the classes.

mental note that V8s dont like the bog run!

Hope everyone enjoyed the day, good to see the team spirit and helping out of each other as required, Thank you to the guys that went back to get Ian unstuck and to Tim, Mark and HH for marshalling.

Who said:

brakeparts.jpg

Yeah but youll never guess what happened next ???

Another excellent event there Mr T , Twas a bit of a bugger in the bog . We had a few problems throuout the day , First thing after 15 mins in on the 6th punch the rear winch brake decided to explode into a small river , We managed to find everything except 6 bearings , Then after 3 attempts of refitting it we were back in for 2 mins when Scott and Dan bent their steering drag link 90 degrees so after helping them we were away once more .

Four punches in the bog claimed my powersteering and both alternator belts , TWICE .

And then snapped off a rear calliper so the loss of brakes was very dodgy on A section ,

This was when we snapped a front winch line and blew a tyre 15 mins before the end .

Well done James another one of your fine events under the belt .

Cheers to Hobbit for bringing our dinner out to us when we were broken down in the bog .

Jase - glad you enjoyed the day, thank you for the support.

Mark - i am hopefully getting it emailed across (pic of Khris etc) and will post when i get it.

Full results are:

Std:

1st Keith Knight 990

2nd Bull Bar Cowboy retd 1500 and out the bog by 1700 and on an AA truck by 1830...... 973

3rd= Recca and Dunstersteve 923

Retd early Rus and Lewis 390 after 1 hour.

std + 1

1st Jay and Nige 3500

2nd Shaun and Ben 1100 retd with engine probs 1500hrs.

Mod:

1st Kris and Craig 2777

2nd Paul and Simon 1383

3rd Jase and Shaun 1167

4th Mike Cuff and Sam 970

5th Angela and Darren 737

6th Scott and Dan 567 Retd very early due to steering problems.

As if by magic

KrisandCraig.jpg

Picture courtesy of Sean Farrow.

Unfortunately is doesn't show the full 'lift' Kris achieved as moments later he had just the rear right in contact with the ground as he came up the 2nd hump.

i believe he was the only vehicle to drive out of that punch.

Sorry Jase i didnt give the Muddy trucker gods the recognition there. good effort that. shame about your breakages on the day, maybe next time you can give lardy and Simon a run for their money. Mind you i dont expect Lardy will ever mention it...........

I know , but you know who your mates are when yer helping out fellow club members with troubles .

Still from what Lard said to me last night is that he cant wait to get back in the trayback, Good on ya Lard , Just one thing , I will have to re adjust the harness again now. :D

Yeah but youll never guess what happened next ???

Another excellent event there Mr T , Twas a bit of a bugger in the bog . We had a few problems throuout the day , First thing after 15 mins in on the 6th punch the rear winch brake decided to explode into a small river , We managed to find everything except 6 bearings , Then after 3 attempts of refitting it we were back in for 2 mins when Scott and Dan bent their steering drag link 90 degrees so after helping them we were away once more .

Four punches in the bog claimed my powersteering and both alternator belts , TWICE .

And then snapped off a rear calliper so the loss of brakes was very dodgy on A section ,

This was when we snapped a front winch line and blew a tyre 15 mins before the end .

Well done James another one of your fine events under the belt .

Cheers to Hobbit for bringing our dinner out to us when we were broken down in the bog .

It was worth for the hours of entertainment you gave me and my daughter. If we had had a bucket of wet sponges... I would swear you actually winched yourself back into the bog just for the laugh

It was amazing how the prescence of an 8 year old can modifiy the language of a bunch of hairey arsed off roaders. Even Lardy only said the 'F' word once or twice every ten minutes. The only exception to this was Mr T who was his usual foul mouthed self.

Some of my pics in no particular order, i think they also show the good contrast between sites A and B!

SimonandLard.jpg

Simon and Paul on site B

StuckSiandLard.jpg

Sin and Paul trail breaking to Punch40!

RusandLewis2.jpg

Rus and Lewis just before the steering went

Shaunpunch40a.jpg

Shaun and Ben going into punch 39, V8s and water hey!

Shaunpunch40.jpg

and coming out just before the rear winch and starter decided they had had enough

KrisandCraig2.jpg

Kris and Craig on site A

MikeBogrun.jpg

Mike Cuff entering the small bog run

jay.jpg

Jay contemplating a truck cab for the trees!

IanGildersleeve.jpg

Bull Bar Comwboy (Ian) happily demonstrating the benefits of hydraulic winches, it is fast

Iandontgointhere.jpg

Ian just prior to parking for a couple of hours

dunstersteveareaa.jpg

Steve and this is wetter than it looked!

DanScottWilliams.jpg

Team William (Dan and Scott) early punch in area B

BogrunSiandLard.jpg

Lardy and Si demonstrating how to do it entering the bog section

AngelaTrailbreaking.jpg

Angela and Darren trail blazing site B

Abitofthinking.jpg

Kris and Craig showing they can work out complicated things

Hopefully a good spread of competitors, if anyone wants copies drop me an email.

Sorry David, you need a CV, shaft or diff?

No worries James - India told you off and that was priceless. As for Diffs, shafts etc I believe I have enough but I may ring!

BTW - India enjoyed herself and wondered if she had been well behaved enough to come again?

Great event and really enjoyed it apart from the bit at the end which was not so great. Instead of last punch of the day it was last recovery but thats how it goes.

Was I also well behaved enough to be allowed to come again - thats assume Kevin will let me out on my own after what happened.....

great event again James- it's amazing how deceptive such a gentle looking drive in the woods can be!

angela- my apologies for trashing the car- i hope you got home OK. I'm sure Kevin'll let you out again if you blame me completely!

Dave i think we need to do a parts swap- i have a load of stuff from darren for you and i thgink you have a couple of calipers for me!

great event again James- it's amazing how deceptive such a gentle looking drive in the woods can be!

angela- my apologies for trashing the car- i hope you got home OK. I'm sure Kevin'll let you out again if you blame me completely!

Dave i think we need to do a parts swap- i have a load of stuff from darren for you and i thgink you have a couple of calipers for me!

angela

did you let jim borrow the CJ?

you must have missed his driving in his girlfriends range rover at 7s when he did an impression of Torrey Canyon.

paul

Paul - Not so much as case of borrowing it - just being my WB on recovering HH out of the evil bog. Darren had done the sensible bit by then & got changes into clean clothes so Jim was very excited about his first trip in the Jeep.

you must have missed his driving in his girlfriends range rover at 7s when he did an impression of Torrey Canyon.

OI- that's the only i'm not owning up to- that was LUND related as you well know.....

geez you make two little mistakes and no one ever lets you forget them!