Long shock absorbers - user experience needed??

SteveG

I thought I had some spare long procomp shocks outside that I could use, but after measuring them they are not and I'll now need to buy a set. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So what's the verdict on which make of long shock to use? Procomp 9000's, Rough Country Challenge shocks, other alternatives??

They will be used on the Gwyn Lewis mounts front and rear so pin-pin types all round.

Cheers

Steve :)

I have the Gwyn Lewis kit on my 90 (bought from David) with pro-comp 9000's because they are cheap, but if replacing them I would buy either OME or Rough Country dampers, probably the latter as they are cheaper and have a slender canister body wihich would better suit usage on the front end

Lewis :)

Where did you get these from ? As ProComp say they only do up to 15" :unsure:

I'm using ProComp ES9000 all round, not had any problems apart from wear in the eye bushes

I have Procomp +5 inch on mine (15.4 travel front and 16.4 rears) and they are cheap

and providing you pay attention to the angles the eyes and loops mount are fine

You must also pay very carefull attention to the shock fully compressed and that it does not "Implode" on full rebound, full droop is also another matter that without other mods just shoving a super long shock on won't get it all.

I have yet to find another manufactuer that supplies anything like these ?

Nige

Just out of interest, how much is the forum discount from Llama 4x4?!

Thanks

Can't offer any on the steelwork but i give Forum members 10% off brake hoses and shock absorbers.....if I remember!!! <_< please rmind me when i'm telling you how much that you want your discount!!!!

There is a batch of shocks on their way from the States very soon ( most of which are spoken for ) but the next order has already been placed for these shocks so hopefully I will get on top of the demand soon.

As this is directly related to the thread i can add my bits without fear of the Spam Police getting over excited:

The key benefits I believe to my shocks are:

1 / they have 'proper studs and eyes. With shoulder to avoid overtightening etc.

2 / the long ones ( as for this thread application ) are made of a narrower body so that they do not foul the top spring seat on the front under articulation angles....

3 / the main one - they are actually valved for a LR. They are not a generic shock body with new mountings. Sounds bloody obvious to use LR shocks on a LR but it is amazing how many don't!!!!!

The 16" travel etc. mentioned above confuses me ( not always that difficult :lol: ). If they are +5" then they will be 26.5" long extended. If you take the 16" travel off this to get the closed length they would compress to about 10" - how?? twin stage telescopic jobby???????????

If they were +5" travel then this would give them about 14" of travel max, no more. A better explanation of measurements please....

David

• 2 weeks later...
3 / the main one - they are actually valved for a LR. They are not a generic shock body with new mountings. Sounds bloody obvious to use LR shocks on a LR but it is amazing how many don't!!!!!David

David,

do you know the valve rating?

Maybe in Newton/mt.?

:unsure: