Auto sparky needed

Bomag

Ive installed a completley new wiring loom, along the Lucas lines.

Everything is working fine, but......

Ive moved the wahser and wiper switches into a seperate box along with a fog and fan switch. The fog and fan are illuminating switches and when the wipers or washers are switched the illuminated part of both switches flash (as though they are being powered up), but dont stay on.

Ive been told its an "earth" problem, but Ive checked the earths for all these circuits and they are fine.

Now Im not after advice, Im after a doer, someone who can come and sort this out.

Ive run out of chickens to sacrifice, and were right out of virgins round here!!!!

Ive installed a completley new wiring loom, along the Lucas lines.

Everything is working fine, but......

Ive moved the wahser and wiper switches into a seperate box along with a fog and fan switch. The fog and fan are illuminating switches and when the wipers or washers are switched the illuminated part of both switches flash (as though they are being powered up), but dont stay on.

Ive been told its an "earth" problem, but Ive checked the earths for all these circuits and they are fine.

Now Im not after advice, Im after a doer, someone who can come and sort this out.

Ive run out of chickens to sacrifice, and were right out of virgins round here!!!!

Without a circuit diagram its difficult to work out what you have done but have you wired the illuminated bit to come on when that particular circuit is live or is the illuminated bit linked to the lighting circuit for night illumination?

If the first option is true, one side of the bulb needs to be connected to the switched bit of the circuit for instance the wire that goes off to the fan. The other side of the bulb needs to go to earth. On most switches the illumination is completely independent of the main contacts.

If its the later, then you may have a poor earth on the lighting circuit, how did you check the earths???

The lights come on when the circuit is in use, ie when the fan is on the switch illuminates.

The switches are bothe the same, and in and out plus earth.

If the earth is removed the switch will NOT illuminate, nor will the illuminatewd part "flash" when the wiper or washer is used.

Im guessing this means that there is a short somewhere :angry:

How I hate plastic that carries smoke!!!!

The lights come on when the circuit is in use, ie when the fan is on the switch illuminates.

The switches are bothe the same, and in and out plus earth.

If the earth is removed the switch will NOT illuminate, nor will the illuminatewd part "flash" when the wiper or washer is used.

Im guessing this means that there is a short somewhere :angry:

How I hate plastic that carries smoke!!!!

Try connecting the 'earth' on a switch to a decent vehicle earth with a fly lead.

My guess would be that although all the earths of various loads connect together, they do not collectively connect to the battery negative.

I know you were after someone to fix it rather than advice - but it's likely to be something simple and think how satisfied you'll feel when you fix it yourself!

Si

Well I spent some more time on it last night.

I removed the wire from the switch to fan relay, at the relay end, and it still glowed.

I then disconnected it at the switch end and put it straight to the bat, no glow. But the fogs switch still glowed!!!!!

The switches only glow when the wash or wiper switch is turned on or off, not when they are left switched on or off.

It appears there is a power surge when these items are being switched, the only relay is for the fan.

The fan is earthed on the rad panel, the wipers on the bulkhead, the fogs in the rear bed drivers side and the washers on the pass side of the bed.

The two warning lights that flash at the moment of switching, where are they earthed?

On what is almost an un-related line of enquiry;

If the fan is switched on, the fan warning light will be lit; what is the sate of the rear fog warning light?

If the fan is switched on, the fan warning light will be lit; if you now switch the wipers or washers, does the fog warning flash as it would do if the fan was not on?

Cheers

Well I spent some more time on it last night.

I removed the wire from the switch to fan relay, at the relay end, and it still glowed.

I then disconnected it at the switch end and put it straight to the bat, no glow. But the fogs switch still glowed!!!!!

The switches only glow when the wash or wiper switch is turned on or off, not when they are left switched on or off.

It appears there is a power surge when these items are being switched, the only relay is for the fan.

The fan is earthed on the rad panel, the wipers on the bulkhead, the fogs in the rear bed drivers side and the washers on the pass side of the bed.

Any switch on surge is insignificant, it will only last for hundreths of a second, the bulb filament will react slower than that. Instead of earthing to the body work, connect a temporary lead direct to battery negative and then connect to each of your earths in turn. Switch the switches and then see if the connection of the temporary earth lead cures it.

The two warning lights that flash at the moment of switching, where are they earthed?

On what is almost an un-related line of enquiry;

If the fan is switched on, the fan warning light will be lit; what is the sate of the rear fog warning light?

If the fan is switched on, the fan warning light will be lit; if you now switch the wipers or washers, does the fog warning flash as it would do if the fan was not on?

Cheers

The switches are earthed to the bulkhead, on a common earth.

WIth the fan on, the fog switch is NOT illuminated.

I will now go and check the fan/fog/wash link up.

I tried earthing straight to the bat, they still flashed :rolleyes:

Im going to try a replacement switch with seperate indicator lamp, just to remove another possibility!!