Disco diff. lock

C.J.

Difflock should be the same as normal, manually selected on the transfer lever, unless a viscous transfer box or something else completely non standard has been fitted.

Cheers BM. I thought something was supposed to light up on ther dashboard to tell you it was locked.

All new stuff to me this! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Something is supposed to light up, so perhaps the diff lock switch is knackered, or maybe the bulb is blown.

Well today, I was mostly stuck in a very muddy bog in the auto Beast. :rolleyes:

Took over an hour of rocking backwards and forwards, twirling of the steering wheel, shoveling horse carp infested straw under the wheels, sweating and swearing, to finally drag the beast out. :angry:

Can someone please explain to a self confessed ...(but fairly new to off roading)... numpty in relatively simple terms, exactly what the diff lock is supposed to be doing for you in these situations, because I'm not absolutely sure mine is working tbh.

Nothing lighting up on the instruement panel to confirm it's working.

Locks drive between front and rear axles. If you had a wheel spinning on each axle then it is working. To test it, jack up a front wheel with the handbrake on but vehicle in neutral (not in Park!), it should spin freely, put the diff lock in and it should not spin freely.

Begs the question what are you doing stuck in a very muddy bog on your own, doesn't sound like a good plan to me :huh:

Have you got an owner's manual with the car 'cos that tells you how to engage the diff-lock. As others have said it locks the centre diff so front & rear axles get power, what it does not do is lock the axle diffs (this is what aftermarket lockers are for) so if you have a wheel spinning on the front & a wheel spinning on the back you're still stuck. With no diff lock you only need one wheel to spin and you're going nowhere.

Begs the question what are you doing stuck in a very muddy bog on your own, doesn't sound like a good plan to me :huh:

Well in my defence, I wasn't actually that far from help (a farm) if needs be, but being the ridiculously proud git that I am, I didn't want the embarrasment of asking to be dragged out tbh. I was getting pretty damned close to it though.

Wouldn't mind, but it was my fault for misjudging where the front wheels where when I stopped. I intended stopping right on the edge of some sleepers to unload a stack of wet straw, but JUST went over the edge and into the sludge. I knew I was going to have a problem, and I was right. :rolleyes:

Golden rule. KEEP moving in porridge. Lesson learnt.

I wouldn't dream of going out into the wilderness off road on my own.

Having driven a manual Disco off road over the weekend using the diff lock on a couple of occassions, I am now of the conclusion that the diff lock on mine is simply not engaging for some reason.

The lever will not move over at all. Forwards into low, and back again, no problem, but sideways it's solid.

Any ideas anyone?

I fear this is going to be costly somehow. :rolleyes:

Another classic case of me looking for a complicated solution for a possible easy task then ey?

I suspect this car has never been off road tbh judging by its very tidy condition underneath.

WD40 and a liberal dose of hammering and swearing is on the cards then.

I'll let you know how I got on if I manage to avoid hitting my fingers ;)

Thanks for the advice lads.

Soak the linkage etc in WD40 or possibly better still some penetrating oil for 24hrs before smiting it with Special Tool No. 1. It is almost certainly the exterior linkage that is seized, or if not you can get at the thing from in the cab in a Discovery, just pull the centre console trim out which is not as difficult as it sounds, about a dozen screws and I think 13 pop rivets to get it all out.

Tell you something Boggy, I was almightily impressed with diff lock yesterday when stuck in 3+ foot of muddy water with a soft and silty base. The water was gushing in through the not so water tight door seals :D and I really didn't fancy getting out through the window to winch it out. Straight into diff lock, and out she popped. Phenominal! Fantastic!!

Probably wouldn't have got myself bogged in a week last Sunday if mine had been workin'. :rolleyes: