Project Suggestions....

smo

As you may or may not know i wrote my 90 TD5 off a month ago, i was planning on buying it back but they wanted a silly ammount of money and after inspecting it and reading the report from the engineer i am not gonna touch it for that kinda money!

So, now i have a wad of cash (not huge but enough!) and am wondering what i should get, do i get another 90, do i go TD5 or V8 (i'd like to keep to diesel but not essential), or shall i get somthing like an old disco and convert it into the North offroad fibreglass freelander thing? If i went 90 i'd probably chop it front and back to shorten it, truck cab her and then do the usual front and rear winches...

So, suggestions on what to do/get, i'm not shy of putting in hard work and have a reasonable ammount of tools etc (no welder tho).

Well, i would suggest doing somehing different, why follow the norm, possibly go for the dlander.

Disco's and rangies are cheap donors, if you got one with mot & tax you could drive it about first to make sure its worth doing. It kinda depends what you fancy and how much time you have for a self build project, and whether you think you can stick out the downs aswell as the ups of a build.

Even with your suggestions for a chopped front and rear 90, there will be welding involved.

I would suggest a hybrid, you can then create what you want, but i am biased having just done one.

Hehe yes, and some lessons on using it!

Luckily i know a few people who can weld and have the kit but would like to learn at some point.

The more i think about it the more a north offroad d-lander thing appeals - totally customisable and great fun....hmm, TD5 power :D

Hehe yes, and some lessons on using it!

Luckily i know a few people who can weld and have the kit but would like to learn at some point.

The more i think about it the more a north offroad d-lander thing appeals - totally customisable and great fun....hmm, TD5 power :D

Get the correct donor Disco, and it is possible, only problem might be all the wiring that you will inheret!

Was enough of the damn stuff in a 1990 Classic RR!!

Get the correct donor Disco, and it is possible, only problem might be all the wiring that you will inheret!

Was enough of the damn stuff in a 1990 Classic RR!!

I'm thinking more brand new chassis, recon engine and build it up from there possibly....then it would have a new 07/57 reg too!! :D

(Might be a bit costly tho! so might resort to using a donor vehicle and used parts!)

Having bought my 90 I now intend to persevere with it, however if I were to start a project now I wouldnt bother looking at a vehicle to start with and cut bits off, I would be thinking about a buggy or spaceframe vehicle more in the style of Moglite or most of the builds on pirate etc.

Portals, silly big US diesel, auto, hydro or mech winches, medium tyres (40"+), fiddle brakes, rear steer, coilovers - these are the things I would be thinking about in your position, rather than which off the shelf suspension sytem will fit my 90/disco/hybrid etc

Pick a competion and build a car to those entry specs and requirements - are you looking at proto class at lagoda or standard class at the AWDC scorpion challenge? These are the questions you need to think about before contemplating your vehicle IMHO

I'll be very interested to see what you decide upon

All the best

Lewis :)

Oh, just thought of another option - buy someone else's car - let them spend a fortune building it then buy it cheap - the 110 in my Signature was £3300, admittedly it needed work to get it near where Andrew wanted it, but at least it gives you something to work from rather than starting from scratch. Its all a compromise though, you'll never find a vehicle thats exactly what you want ;)

smo, as the others have said, think about what you want from the vehicle. Personally I wouldn't use another 90 as a donor vehicle for a competition machine as they are expensive and, IMHO, the 100" wheelbase is a better compromise than 93" or 110". I'd think along the lines of Rogue Vogue and chop a Tdi auto RRC or DI. You should find a mecanically good MOT failier that needs work to the rear floor, sills etc that'd make a perfect donor as you'll be chopping that all out anyway.

Hmm, well it will be a toy, however i intend on using it occasionally on road so must be legal, getting to events will probably be driven there as currently i dont have a licence to tow anything that heavy :( (or a trailer to put it on!)

Event wise, i've not done much because i was worried about bending my last one (04 TD5 90) but it got used and abused, i did some punch events and would like to do more in the way of RTV/CCV, punch and winch events, starting at the lower level and working up!!

Space frame is a nice idea but i dont have the time or equipment to do it, i dont have a tube bender, welder or acres of workshop to work in let alone the years it takes for these things to develop into a usable vehicle!!!

I shall be using things like hydro winches because i believe they are unbeatable for the money (can of worms open there!) but would like to be able to run huge tyres rather than the normal 35/56" simex's although this depends on what the build turns out at.

As for donor, i like 90's, i've always liked them, they are overpriced, badly built, poorly specced but i like them and kinda want another one but am willing to consider other options because i dont wish to be blinkered too much although without a radical from scratch space frame its going to have been done before!

So...there is some background, a vehicle for everything, that doesnt cost the earth and is awsome.....;)

Hmm, well it will be a toy, however i intend on using it occasionally on road so must be legal, getting to events will probably be driven there as currently i dont have a licence to tow anything that heavy :( (or a trailer to put it on!)

Event wise, i've not done much because i was worried about bending my last one (04 TD5 90) but it got used and abused, i did some punch events and would like to do more in the way of RTV/CCV, punch and winch events, starting at the lower level and working up!!

Space frame is a nice idea but i dont have the time or equipment to do it, i dont have a tube bender, welder or acres of workshop to work in let alone the years it takes for these things to develop into a usable vehicle!!!

I shall be using things like hydro winches because i believe they are unbeatable for the money (can of worms open there!) but would like to be able to run huge tyres rather than the normal 35/56" simex's although this depends on what the build turns out at.

As for donor, i like 90's, i've always liked them, they are overpriced, badly built, poorly specced but i like them and kinda want another one but am willing to consider other options because i dont wish to be blinkered too much although without a radical from scratch space frame its going to have been done before!

So...there is some background, a vehicle for everything, that doesnt cost the earth and is awsome.....;)

If I was in your position, I'd be looking at a Dlander, probably bases on a 300TDi auto, if I had enough cash spare I'd spend it on a really good set of axles, Portel tek say, and if neccessary tone the rest of the build down to compensate, if you are going the Ashcroft route with your axles, then you are probably over half way with the cost of the Portals. Trick winches, intercoolers and suspension could all wait a while, I,d make the axles prioity.

Dreaming is free............ :lol:

Andy

Just to add, if you start chopping a 90 about and spending lots of cash on it, from what I've seen the value is a lot less than the sum of parts.

I'd be trying to build something that holds onto its value a little, difficult I know, building another trayback 90 with all the trimmings is a good way to give your money away, IMHO!!!

This is still available http://cgi.ebay.co.uk:80/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...DME:B:WNA:UK:12

I'd scrap most of it, but the important stuff is worth it.

My vapour-truck is at the very light-weight end of the scale. I'm thinking single-seater, spindly little axles, small-ish tyres and absolutely no weight. Without loads of power (Perkins Prima with chunky intercooling) it'd still be a hoot on the road and with a little winch at each end it should be pretty competitive in challenges etc.

Chris Abel's Rhino was a fascinating step in this direction, but now he's gone all 'portal' - so last year. B)

Of course, I've not started this supermicrotruck yet because I don't have the time or space - it'd all go Pete Tong Will Warne. :)

Turbo, I never said the build would be quick. Things will get better in a matter of months :D The only plus sde of being away from the build for soooo long is I've got a good idea about what needs doing and I've also had a chance to start doing sketchs of the next one (que tiddle taking)

SMO, as pretty much all punch challenge events in Europe require vehicles to be road legal so anything really drasitic will have to pass an SVA (deep joy) and as a lot events will have transit sections on road its a good idea to have something that is OK to drive. However, if you plan to drive to events then it probably wants to be weatherproof and should be able to sit at the national speed limit. FYI most big tyres aren't 'E' marked which needs to be considered.

A good set of axles is a smart move too as it'll set you up well.

As you'll be driving to events, and hopefully back ;) ;) , I think you can forget a V8. It will just prove too expensive in fuel bills and you won't want to use up space to gas it. A V8 and auto for the type of events you want to do is a great combination though! :)

I think for this reason too you can forget portals, although Jez manages to drive to Russia and back on them :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The Dlander looks good, although I'm not sure how well the panels will cope with the tree attention you get in the competitive winch challenges. Also fitting hydraulic winches front and rear maybe prove a problem with space.

If going for a 90 it looks like it wants to be a truck cab for winch challenge events. Having that lower profile at the rear really is a benefit and access for equipment etc is good. The only drawback is dry(ish) storage space, especially for events like the enduro when you need to carry everything for two people.

Cheers

Steve

You could build a comp safari racer.

(To start with) cheaper than a challenge truck and 10 times the fun :lol::ph34r:

tyre are soooooo much cheaper

entry fees are less

no need for expensive winches

no need for expensive lockers

(to start with) no need for expensive cv's and shafts

can be road leagle very easily

Emence amouts of fun for not alot of money

all you need is

good seats

good roll cage

harnesses

helmet

battrey cut off.

you will find half bult trucks on Ebay for example.

could be worth a look for another angle

would it be a 07/57 plate, i dont mean by registering this year but, how do you prove the age of everything??????

With reciepts for waaay too much money! If it had a new chassis, and the dlander body/cahe then a recon engine and the rest as new parts then it would be allowed a "new" registration, otherwise it goes on a Q plate :(

Plenty of food for thought there chaps, i shall try and speak to Shaun next week and have a butchers at the other options too :)