Project Suggestions....

smo

With reciepts for waaay too much money! If it had a new chassis, and the dlander body/cahe then a recon engine and the rest as new parts then it would be allowed a "new" registration, otherwise it goes on a Q plate :(

If you use an older donor vehicle (unless you are building something mad) such as a cheapy from ebay you won't get hit with the new variable road tax on emissions or euro 4 emission legislation. Or can you get round this last one with an SVA? - which is apparently a PITA.

Rich

Go wild,buy a tube bender,learn to weld,and build something different.

I spoke to a chap at work last week who is about to build a vehicle for the ladoga trophy.He has two unimogs,a landcruiser,and a gmc v8 deisel lying around.He said he will pick the parts he wants,set them up in position on blocks of wood etc. and join them together with tubing. "With about 12 weeks to go I had better make a start" . What an approach to vehicle building!

Triangulated 4 link front and rear is the most aesthetically pleasing suspension set-up,and seams to work pretty well too.

Why not just buy another TD5 90 ? With a bit of protection and a front winch it'll be your daily driver, a greenlaning tool and you could enter winch challenges if you fancied a taste of the rough stuff. Without knowledge, experience and the ability to do most of it yourself (including critical design work), trying to build something extreme will result in a inflexible and expensive oddity that may or may not do all you want of it.

Just my thoughts

Mo

"With about 12 weeks to go I had better make a start" . What an approach to vehicle building!

Sounds like a leisurely version of the way Petal was built :lol:

I think a lot of competition motors are going to be going the tube buggy way as there's so little of the original vehicle in most of them what's the point in chopping something to pieces? It's usually the original bits that get in the way of mods too :rolleyes:

If you're going to build something, spend a lot of your money on tools and then the rest of the build will be soooo much easier. And the next one...

Whatever you do, decide what you want before you get the grinder out.

Why not just buy another TD5 90 ? With a bit of protection and a front winch it'll be your daily driver, a greenlaning tool and you could enter winch challenges if you fancied a taste of the rough stuff. Without knowledge, experience and the ability to do most of it yourself (including critical design work), trying to build something extreme will result in a inflexible and expensive oddity that may or may not do all you want of it.

Just my thoughts

Mo

Well i might buy another TD5 90....but they are pricey!

It will never be my daily drive, i do 650miles commuting to work and back every week, thats 3 hours a day in my Audi, in a landy it would take 5 hours!

I might not have the experience but i am an engineer and happen to work with a car nut and a rally driver so have plenty of backup there too, so its just time to do it that i'm short of but i'm not overly rushed so it doesnt matter.

if it were me...

Buy a 300tdi disco, mechanically sound but wrotten bodywork... theres loads of them about.... £1500 will buy you what you want.

strip it and sell all the bodywork, reclaim some of the purchase price..

go for the Dlander kit from North off-road..

fit a decent winch, good suspension, 35" tyres and uprated half shafts/ CVs. Job done.

now you have a respectable road car, an awesome green laner, and a challenge truck that can hold its own...

change the wheels & remove the winch... instand hill rally truck...

...just my thoughts........

Well i might buy another TD5 90....but they are pricey!

It will never be my daily drive, i do 650miles commuting to work and back every week, that's 3 hours a day in my Audi, in a landy it would take 5 hours!

I might not have the experience but i am an engineer and happen to work with a car nut and a rally driver so have plenty of backup there too, so its just time to do it that i'm short of but i'm not overly rushed so it doesnt matter.

I do 200 miles a day in my Disco 2 td5 Monday to Friday and some Sat's I would risk my life on the M3 and M25 in a car there are too many Merc's and BMW's around.

I like the Disco on the motorway but I drive flat out or stopped :D

only trouble is I have a 140k ES disco which is mint condition but worthless <_<

if it were me...

Buy a 300tdi disco, mechanically sound but wrotten bodywork... theres loads of them about.... £1500 will buy you what you want.

strip it and sell all the bodywork, reclaim some of the purchase price..

go for the Dlander kit from North off-road..

fit a decent winch, good suspension, 35" tyres and uprated half shafts/ CVs. Job done.

now you have a respectable road car, an awesome green laner, and a challenge truck that can hold its own...

change the wheels & remove the winch... instand hill rally truck...

...just my thoughts........

I could save you the agro and sell you a LSE chassie with all its Air suspention. (longer chassie for bigger axles and tyres :D )

I do 200 miles a day in my Disco 2 td5 Monday to Friday and some Sat's I would risk my life on the M3 and M25 in a car there are too many Merc's and BMW's around.

I like the Disco on the motorway but I drive flat out or stopped :D

only trouble is I have a 140k ES disco which is mint condition but worthless <_<

Jules i used to do 18K a year in the 90 and its not a patch on my A3 for eating up the miles, i get 50mpg from it can do whatever speed i like without thrashing it, being deafened or fealing unstable and have a decent stereo and climate control....i'd not go back to a landy for my kinda miles again, no point!

The D-Lander is looking like a good choice tho for the money, and i can make it into anything i like very easily.

My suggestion is that you start by buying a ready (or nearly) prepared car for the sort of thing that you want to do. This is much the cheapest way to start and you can refine what you want to use it for after you've done some events.

Its also a great way to learn, because you can bite off a build in smaller chunks and get the benefit of being able to use it in between.

Each sort of competition needs a different emphasis on vehicle build and spec.

Cheers

H

PS. I'm with Jules on the comp safari thing, but then I would be, wouldn't I!