wheelboxes

Anyone replaced the wheel boxes on the defender wiper system.

I'm sick of the clunking and clicking from mine so I'm going to get some new ones and fit.

read RAVE but as usual it says remove everything then fit them

but I'd rather hear from a real person rather than a book writer.

I completely stripped the entire mechanism for catflap - including the motor. No notes or anything to put it all back together correctly - what a fpita it was to put back together the right way. I never knew there were so many wrong ways you can put something back together! :angry:

Les.

Thanks for the pic Tony

Started mine tonight but had to stop due to failing light

big pile of screws but dash top wont let go

must have missed one

run a finger along the bottom return lip below the vertical face, you should find 2 countersunk screws one near the instrument pack & a 2nd above the passenger under screen vent handle,

you need/should have rmoved these ---------

both screen demist vent surrounds 2 screws/washers each

3 large screws/washers along bottom of screen

ashtray

passenger end grab handle 2 screws & small badge

drivers end heat slider controls 3 screws

move instrument pack towards steering wheel.

good luck :i-m_so_happy:

run a finger along the bottom return lip below the vertical face, you should find 2 countersunk screws one near the instrument pack & a 2nd above the passenger under screen vent handle,

you need/should have rmoved these ---------

both screen demist vent surrounds 2 screws/washers each

3 large screws/washers along bottom of screen

ashtray

passenger end grab handle 2 screws & small badge

drivers end heat slider controls 3 screws

move instrument pack towards steering wheel.

good luck :i-m_so_happy:

Cheers Ralph

I haven't missed any then, i will give it a lever tmrw, seems caught near instruments,passenger side is free.

(also removed steering cowl)

A handy little bodge is to cut a v.short length of rubber fuel pipe to an exact length,(measure distance between the spined bit and the base wilst pulling the shaft outwards) then slip off the wiper arm, take off the splined shaft bit, put a washer over the wheelbox shaft so it goes all the way down push on the rubber hose, tightish fit is best and a spot of grease, and then push the splined bit back on but compress the hose as much as you can before tightening up the grub screw, put back the wiper arm and bingo!! 5 minutes each side and IT WORKS as it stops the shaft from pulling inwards on the return stroke.

Next patient please!

The classic mistake is when somebody puts the wheel boxes on 180 deg out, and then the wipers when fitted proceed to wipe the air vent flaps and then attempt to wipe their way through the bonnet, which doesn't work all that well :huh:

Putting the wheel boxes 180 deg out (upside down) causes the arms to park at the wrong end of the arc as the wiper motor (on a SIII at least) parks with the rack extended out from the gearbox.

If you find you're wiping the bonnet pull the arm off, park the wipers and refit the arm on its shaft in the correct parked position.

I moved my wiper motor to the RHS of the bulkhead and had to turn the wheelboxes upside down.

Did you get all your dash screws back in and all in well?

Am i the only one who can never but them all back in the right places and always seem to end up one short on wirth one too many??

why cant they just use one size :angry: !!!!!

:lol:

OK

Got the dash top off and the passenger side box is easily accessable

however i need to change the driver side box which is stuck behind the screen air vent :glare:

to get to the screws i need to remove the instrument panel and speedo cable,

there isnt enough room for me to get the cable undone so i guess i will have to remove the speedo from the transfer box to get enough slack? :unsure:

once i have done this (tmrw) is there anything i should know about removal and refiting the new box? (haynes doesnt cover them )

any help gratefully received

ps. whoever said this was a fiddly pitfa job was right....... :(

Can't see why you shouldn't be able to disconnect the speedo cable at the instrument end, it only needs a squeeze of the large plastic end fitting & will pul off towards the screen, IIRC it's one screw a No 8 cros head self taper 1/2inch long that holds the demist vent, use a stubby screwdriver, move the vent clear & move the tube clear, it should give more access to the wheelbox then.

hth :D

Only had about 20 mins daylight so

Got the speedo cable off

removed hose from demist vent

there are two screws holding the vent on and one of the heads is behind the instrument panel housing,(there is no way i am stripping anymore out of the cab or this is going to turn into a rebuild)

so removed one screw and forced other one

removed nuts on wheelbox,took off backing plate and pulled box shaft through hole, No !

there is a 1/2 red plastic captive oblong nut on the back of the dash that stops the box coming out far enough to clear hole!

removed this and pulled box out and ran off end of rack,HOOBLOODYRAY.... :)

Observation: removing the backing plate and bending tab is ok for passenger side,driver side i would go for the "packing the outside" as a much simpler remedy.